Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

I fell more confortable by listening to my cheap CD-R with self-made tracklist, but in full and glourious 1411 kbps quality...

Indeed 320 kbps (or less) may sound very close to the full 1411 quality... but no thanks... ehehehe!

maybe with earphones in a price range I can't afford

I am perfectly happy with my DCC and the new Concord CD once I get it. All the music is there.

And yes this thread seems to move in cycles of quiet and panicky as the info trickles in. I can imagine this going over 100 pages by the start of November if not sooner. ;)

this set is more important than Christmas!

I think I found myself a quote sir! ;)

And true. I would never be able to wait until Christmas. And why would I? Santa can bring me something else.

also could someone please send me higres artwork from the TOD John Williams Central Edition, that was done by Ricard and John Takis

I reaaaly like the backcover design:

Indy VHS Edit

Ugh ... I'm HORRIBLY embarrassed that this is still circulating, and have been ever since I saw my name on an eBay bootleg. Ah, to be young and stupid again ... well, younger and stupider, anyway. Anyone who comes across the design is welcome to use it (the only "artwork" is a low-res pic of Pankot Palace I found on the internet), but PLEASE remove the names and URLs!

Whilst we're talking about Indy cover artwork (boot or not), does anyone know what happened to the Indy covers based on the design of the 2003 "complete adventures" DVD set? I really like that artwork with the maroon background.

- What about Escape from the Temple? Is it the cue as on the DCC release, or does it include the insert now?

- As Neil implied, perhaps they went with the edited album versions to include more unreleased cues, and not exceed a certain length. I think there's a certain point (not sure if it's the 74 or 76 min. mark?) on a CD and if you go past it, it has more risks for burning errors or something like that. So from a producing standpoint, they perhaps decided not to exceed that mark. I know Lukas at FSM often exceeds that point - but takes the risk to include more music. But there would be a higher chance to have an erroneous CD in the batch once in a while.

- What about Escape from the Temple? Is it the cue as on the DCC release, or does it include the insert now?

A good question. And even though I am not worried about this release it would be nice to know the logic (or the lack of it) behind the inclusion of the edited tracks when everything else is presented as on the DCC disc. Or is it?

No the insert isn't there.

I personally like the sharp brass from the 1995 version. The new one is lacking a certain clarity.

and I don't care one second about what version of "The Desert Chase" or the "Basket Game" is on this disk,I have them at home in perf quality/complete and it doesn't bother me if some of you haven't ;)

Also the filmtake of Through the Wall".. naah who cares, I wanted to the have "The Mummy Cave" in CD quality since I got the bootleg.

Actually, Through the Wall has always been one of my favourite cues from the film, I love that motif, and I never understood why it wasn't on the DCC release - so that's actually a bummer - though it's the only one.

What is strange and a little bit bizarre is: why bothering to revert back to the original album edits just for those two tracks? It would have made more sense if they'd have presented the original Raiders LP program and then expand that with the other tracks (à là James Bond expanded CDs).

The only difference between this and the album is "Marion's Theme." On the original album it was jarringly combined with "To Cairo."

"The Well of the Souls" track on the original LP was also a combo of two cues: the first part of "The Floor That Moves" and an edit of "Into the Idol's Temple".

No, this release contains all of it - the original 8M3 Escape from the Pit. The bit from the film - what we know as "Through the Wall" - is an alternative cue, 8M3 Fix.

I don't think 8M3 Fix is an alternate, but, as the log indicates, it's just a fix (usually, cue re-writes are indexed as "REV" on the log sheets). The original 8M3 ("Escape from the Pit" aka "The Mummy Cave") is Williams' original take, but it was probably written on a different and longer edit of the sequence, as the music itself seems to indicate. It's likely the scene was re-edited and tightened, so Williams had to write new parts to accomodate the changes.

Did they only include the shorter version of "Desert Chase" on this new release? I'm gonna see if the DCC edition is available anywhere on ebay.

:blink:

The Basket game is shorter too

wow the first thing I did, when I got the DCC Album 11years ago, was searching that "Washington Men" cue, when I couldn't find it, I was very dissapointed, and here it is :)

It is basically the same story with the Jurassic Park cue "Mining for bones and amber".. only the end of the story has yet to happen. ;)

Maybe Williams had something to do with it and wanted the album edits of those cues.

It is basically the same story with the Jurassic Park cue "Mining for bones and amber".. only the end of the story has yet to happen. ;)

Me it was "Grant and Timmy get into the Jeep" ..before the tour

Maybe Williams had something to do with it and wanted the album edits of those cues.

Yeah, that sounds like Williams alright. Always cutting the best bits out for whatever reason, especially from one of the best action cues of all time.

So much for "expanded".

Yeah, that sounds like Williams alright. Always cutting the best bits out for whatever reason, especially from one of the best action cues of all time.

So much for "expanded".

what has williams to do with that. will anyone blame him for the microediting on ROTS? lol

I HIGHLY doubt that williams is that deeply involved in any of his albums. why isn't he listed as Album Editor once then??

He once said "Since we can't get all the music on one disc, we have to look out for the best representation, of the best parts"

Williams maybe says:"Yes we could have that at the beginning of the CD that in the middle and maybe those combined" but he isn't that onterested in that detailed microediting/cutting/pasting job.

people always blame John Williams for every bad album assembly (instead of the albumeditor) and

George Lucas for any tiny little "star-Wars-moneymaker"-release..(instead of Lucasfilm marketing)

I can't read that anymore, it is plain stupud fanboy c**p.

Regardless of whether it was Williams or not, it was still a stupid decision to only include the inferior original album edits. The best representation of those two cues is hearing them complete. They clearly took a step backwards.

Regardless of whether it was Williams or not, it was still a stupid decision to only include the inferior original album edits. The best representation of those two cues is hearing them complete. They clearly took a step backwards.

yes, that's a bit of a weird desision. I don't know. I can only guess that the Desert Chase is devided into seperate cues. and instead of reediting them together, they used the ones that were already available. Or maybe it was heavily damaged, so they had to reuse the only sruviving master = the album masterversions of the basket game and desert chase.

Or they simply didn't care

I can only repeat: I don't care either, since I have them at home

KM has actually been one of the more positive posters here.

I do find the limited frequency on the DCC album a minor problem. I was hoping they'd open up the mix more on the 2008 release.

It also looks like the end credits and Washington Ending combined are roughly 30 seconds longer than what is on the DCC release.

It's got the soft coda (from what on previous releases was "The Raiders March") tacked on. I may edit my better sounding DCC tracks to reflect this "full" version of the end credits.

That's what I figured. The original album had the coda at the end of the end credits if my memory is correct.

The original album had the End Credits (labeled as "Raiders of the Lost Ark") as the first track and it included the 1941-styled soft coda of the Raiders March. The edited-down "Raiders March" (which was the final track on the album) instead finished with the usual ending. For the DCC release it was decided to switch back the coda onto the shorter version (which is used as the opener for the album) and use it as a lead-in for the actual main title cue.

Personally, I like the choice to put the short "Raiders March" at the beginning of the disc, it gives the feeling of a concert ouverture.

Here's some track times:

01. In the Jungle - 4:12

02. The Idol Temple - 4:01

03. Escape from the Temple - 1:36

04. Flight from Peru - 2:25

05. Washington Men/Indy's Home * - 1:13

06. A Thought for Marion/To Nepal - 2:19

07. The Medallion - 2:55

08. Flight to Cairo - 1:31

09. The Basket Game - 4:50

10. Bad Dates * - 1:24

11. The Map Room: Dawn - 3:55

12. Reunion in the Tent/Searching for the Well - 4:13

13. The Well of the Souls - 5:29

14. Indy Rides the Statue * - 3:09

15. The Fist Fight/The Flying Wing - 4:38

16. Desert Chase - 7:41

17. Marion's Theme/The Crate - 2:10

18. The German Sub - 1:17

19. Ride to the Nazi Hideout - 3:20

20. Indy Follows the Ark - 1:40

21. The Miracle of the Ark - 6:08

22. Washington Ending & Raiders March - 6:49

Where did you get these, if I may ask?

Sorry if it has already been mentioned, but this thread has become difficult to read with all the post deletions.

Was this question EVER answered? What is the source of the track times?

-Erik-

I don't care what this set removes or edits out that was on the DCC version of Raiders. I paid $20 to own that disc back in high school, and am not getting rid of it. I found Temple on a website free to download, 9 years ago to the day that this expanded set will be released, and if you recall, Napster used to be legal. And I bought Last Crusade back in high school as well. So when my pre-ordered set arrives, I'll be able to pick and choose the music I want for my MP3 CD-R that I burn, and eventual FLAC backup folder.

This also inspires me to record the snippet of song from the DVD that Indy's dig team sings as they uncover the Well of the Souls. It's heard as Indy walks in front of the sunset, and replaces his hood with his fedora. For some reason, I've always loved that bit of song and found myself wishing it were longer.

I couldn't find my car keys this morning, nor what I had for dinner yesterday, but for some inexpliable reason, I can remember where, when, and how I bought/acquired seminal soundtrack purchases as these.

I couldn't find my car keys this morning, nor what I had for dinner yesterday, but for some inexpliable reason, I can remember where, when, and how I bought/acquired seminal soundtrack purchases as these.

Which means you're only remembering the important things.

wow ,I'm usually the first one to complain about these things.

Like the various E.T. releases as long as we have the right take on one of the c.d.'s I'm cool. We still don't have E.T. is Dying film version on an official c.d. and I still have to use Adventures on Earth from the old OST for my "re-assembled" album. And who wants to use Out to Sea from the Jaws anniversary issue!!

Same thing with Raiders .We need to keep the DCC classics for some cues,as simple as that.

BUT the music is RELEASED ,and not something still sitting in some dark vault .Anyone here can acquire those 2 DCC cues. And please don't tell us that would be commiting some kind of crime against humanity to D/L them. We may have to keep ALL the DCC classics tracks because of possible better sound quality.

If Return to the Village from disk 5 is missing the Indy Is Not Dead intro ,THAT will be an example of a MAJOR screw up. Why ? because there's no way to get it otherwise.

Was this question EVER answered? What is the source of the track times?

-Erik-

Apparently, something leaked onto the usual channels. But it could be bogus.

If Return to the Village from disk 5 is missing the Indy Is Not Dead intro ,THAT will be an example of a MAJOR screw up. Why ? because there's no way to get it otherwise.

I suspect that will be part of the "British Relief" cue, which leads directly onto the Finale.

One thing I just thought about...perhaps this is a case where someone got the unreleased cues from the Concord set, combined them with the OST and leaked them.

Similar has happened to complete bootlegs where OST edits would be in place instead of full unedited cues. It happened to Matrix Reloaded and it took me a while to hunt down the unedited "Bane Transformation" and "Mona Lisa Overdrive" and the missing "Bane Voyage" cues when the score leaked. I think people put those OST edits in there on purpose sometimes with leaks.

That could also be right .

Also:

In some cases Bouzereau's choice of cues have been to our advantage .

We have 1 extra (and better ) version of the E.T. End Credits because of that (1996)

We have the amazing CE3K Special Edition End Credits when he could have just put the crap original film version on the Collector's Edition soundtrack.

Personally ,I have always thought that Bouzereau may have alot of influence on getting those things released and he is passionate about it,but that he does not know the actual music to the level of some of us here, explaining his choice of various alternates.

Maybe we'll get that unreleased /alternate They Stole the Children simply because it's on the masters at that spot.

One thing I just thought about...perhaps this is a case where someone got the unreleased cues from the Concord set, combined them with the OST and leaked them.

It's a possibility, but doubtful. I mean, what would be the point when the actual album is due to be released next month.

I was thinking that the ToD track "Sword Trick" might actually not be the music for the RotLA reference.

Instead I consider it very likely that it will instead be "The Bridge" with the percussion.

Remember how Indy is waving a sword around in that scene as well?

I'm hoping that the RotLA reference will be in "Water!" though.

That's one of the best musical jokes ever and is very well incorporated into the track.

Also, could it be that this release is on purpose not perfect so that people will still want complete ones?

I was thinking that the ToD track "Sword Trick" might actually not be the music for the RotLA reference.

Instead I consider it very likely that it will instead be "The Bridge" with the percussion.

Remember how Indy is waving a sword around in that scene as well?

I'm hoping that the RotLA reference will be in "Water!" though.

That's one of the best musical jokes ever and is very well incorporated into the track.

Also, could it be that this release is on purpose not perfect so that people will still want complete ones?

yes I wrote the same some days ago.

The sword trick must be the bridge percussion OR an alternate with actual orchestral music.

The water sequence up to when molaram says "Welcome" is one cue, so the raidersjoke will be on definetly.

We have 1 extra (and better ) version of the E.T. End Credits because of that (1996)

????

Thats different from the 2002 one?

yes it is indeed, very different. it adds a light intro, and some soft/brightwoodwind/celesta accents while the piano plays "over the Moon".

also the 1996 has a very odd trumpet fanfare beginning, I always think they missed the right beat and all start playing to late, it really sounds odd to my ears.

????

yes it is indeed, very different. it adds a light intro, and some soft/brightwoodwind/celesta accents while the piano plays "over the Moon".

also the 1996 has a very odd trumpet fanfare beginning, I always think they missed the right beat and all start playing to late, it really sounds odd to my ears.

I'm glad I'm not the only that noticed the the weird brass entrance!

But the OST was only forty minutes long. And on what previous release can one find a clean ending for "The Idol Temple" or "The German Sub"? (These tracks segued into other tracks on the DCC release.) None. Sorry, but there's no reason to think what we've found is a fake. The album edits in "The Basket Game" and "Desert Chase" were probably preserved for the sake of being faithful to the original album. That's all there is to it.

????

I'm glad I'm not the only that noticed the the weird brass entrance!

The sound quality at that point is also a little odd....I have come across the same effect before on a CD I recorded with a brass band - it was at a point where some instruments were not together and played out of tune but it was the best take - I think that maybe the oddness is due to so much cleaning up of the original material to a point where it has become slightly distorted....but still represents (sadly) the best version available....

Greg

Wow...so I had only been familiar with the complete "Desert Chase" up to this point. For a while I was thinking that the edit on what is probably the new Concord isn't so bad...then the ostinato section of the piece came in. WOW.

I'm going to buy the DCC album now to accompany this - the album edit of "Desert Chase" is disgusting!

And I personally like the sound quality that I'm hearing on this new set, by the way.

Anywhere from $39 to $75 at Amazon. Wow, what a bargain...

Wow, that much? Rather just find a FLAC version of the DCC album somewhere... *whistles* or at least of just the Basket Game and Desert Chase tracks... *whistles again*

A few of the DCC cds can be found a bit cheaper on ebay. I was considering selling mine, but have decided to hold on to in for now.

Over the next month, I plan to hunt down as many of the unreleased Indy cues as possible, so I can insert/edit them into the official set. What fun...

I know...but I get the feeling that if this ends up really being the Concord release then the price on the DCC may actually go up higher than it is now. And if it turns out that the new release is NOT edited then I'll just try to unload the DCC real fast.

I already have mp3s of the unedited tracks...but I want them on something more permanent..

And if it turns out that the new release is NOT edited then I'll just try to unload the DCC real fast.

You also have to take into account the overall sound quality.

My DCC album is not going anywhere