Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

Did we not mention this a couple months ago like in April or May of this year or couple years back? I cant remember and I thought I was the one who came up with the idea that they would come out with an extended edition of Raiders, Temple and Crusade. Nobody believes me. If there is money to be made they will make the money somehow. It seems like we talk about wanting an extended version of some type of movie doing petitions and stuff, but I am only giving my opinion. Its great that Raiders extended is coming out and maybe if the sales do well they will think about releasing Temple and Crusade extended, but if the sales dont do well then I guess we can kiss the extended editions goodbye, but probably not really they can do what ever they want. I really would like to see Star Wars Episode I-III be extended, all the Harry Potter films be extended and all Indiana Jones films be extended(including Crystal Skull). We all ready have an extended edition of Star Wars Episode IV-VI(Not sure if there are any other tracks to add to these films).

What?

It's been established that all 3 scores are being expanded. No 'if Raiders does well' about it.

I have a better idea .Drop tracks from the original release to include all the unreleased music ,If I was assembling those albums and limited to 1 c.d. per score ,that's what I'd do

I agree. Especially since they're re-releasing the originals anyways, it's not like anybody would have to spend a million dollars to get the original cues.

Its great that Raiders extended is coming out and maybe if the sales do well they will think about releasing Temple and Crusade extended, but if the sales dont do well then I guess we can kiss the extended editions goodbye, but probably not really they can do what ever they want.

That's about as clear as a Concord press release. ;)

indy4 - still pondering whether he should buy the Raiders expanded and the boxset, or just the latter

I am going a-ka-ray-zee! I've found so many things that I want to buy, but I have no clue how much this set is gonna cost.

There were some awesome blu-ray sales at Best Buy, cheaper than Amazon possibly, and they were all the ones I wanted. Cool Hand Luke, The Fugitive, the blue Kubricks, Kill Bill, GAH!!!

EDIT: Never mind, Amazon has them all for less. I'm sorry I doubted you, oh grateful Amazon!! ;)

Its great that Raiders extended is coming out and maybe if the sales do well they will think about releasing Temple and Crusade extended, but if the sales dont do well then I guess we can kiss the extended editions goodbye, but probably not really they can do what ever they want.

;)

Oh yes, this is all doom and gloom.

Yes this release will be the worst produced thing in history. Everything is already wrong with it.

What was Concord even thinking by releasing this...... :sleepy:

It's all Lucas' fault!

I have faith in the people who are working on this release.

The expanded Raiders, it was back then quite a work of love. It is a Steve Hoffman DCC mastering, that already is something almost unheard in soundtracks (only one Korngold CD, and Spellbound iirc). So the people who wanted to re-release it, could have just reprinted it and it would have been quite satisfactory. The bulk is there, the massive bulk of the score. We're talking about seconds or some minutes missing here and there, but really all is there in content. So if they expanded it, they clearly had the staff that knew about the little stuff missing, any other production crew would had seen the expanded as satisfactory of reprinting. If they knew about Raiders, they surely knew about TOD and Last Crusade.

I hope they don't completely expand TOD, I mean don't give us the Feast music, so that more space will be available on the TOD disc to start the expanded Last Crusade :sleepy:

ast Crusade.

I hope they don't completely expand TOD, I mean don't give us the Feast music, so that more space will be available on the TOD disc to start the expanded Last Crusade :sleepy:

Even if they remove the feast music and the few useless cues when Indy drinks the blood , you still need the full 80 minutes for ToD

Hey Neimoidian, you've still got that quote of mine in your signature. I hope it's out of the sheer ridiculousness of it, for which I apologised some months ago. I was just reading this thread and saw that haunting, scathing attack on this forum. I like to think I've changed, I actually really enjoy this place now

Why apologise? The observations you make are quite correct. This place is exactly like that.

The only thing that really matters is whether or not one can just accept how this place works, as I do. That doesn't necessarily mean I endorse everything about the board.

Exactly, that's why I still use that quote. ;) I was never offended by it, but rather amused, because although I feel a part of this place, I am also aware / and to some extent fond / of its shortcomings. To Matt: I am glad that you enjoy this message borad now, because it's a fun place to be in, especially if you like John Williams' music and don't mind our williams'o'centric approach to film music. :)

Well maybe we get some extra tape-hiss seconds at the beginning and the end of the tracks

The announcement never speaks of MUSIC

that would be expanded!

All three original soundtracks (Raiders, Temple of Doom, and Last Crusade) will be expanded and remastered, including material never before issued on CD.

they also don't say that the expansion will be INdy related in any form could be anything never before issued on CD.. George Lucas singing "I am the Captain of the Pinnaford..."

Miss, what did this place do with you? You even started to make dry comments regarding the rather unhealthy hype among some memebers... ;) Good :sleepy:

I have been reading this topic all the week, and i had really good fun!

We have to wait and see, but let´s be postive guys! All that we got at this moment are good news

(...)

Me too! When I learnt about the expanded releases I was on cloud 9. As a matter of fact, I still am... ;)

Some of you people that are complaining are going to ruin it for the rest of us. :sleepy: It's going to be TPM: UE all over again, and we'll never get proper Star Wars or complete Indy scores! ;)

One would have to be drunk and mad to come up with a product as bad as the TPM UE.

Even though it probably won't be complete, I'm expecting a competant and classy production. Concord is an experienced Jazz label and that is also a segment of the market that demands quality and perfection.

It's in our nature to complain, we're film music fans, arguably the most obsessive compulsive people on the planet. Well, I know I am at least.

When you get older, you will learn.

Another wise word by grandpa' Cosman.. The Ultimate Edition was the best thing to happen. It has "Hail to the winner" and "Anakin is free", which is everything a true John Williams fan needs. Anything beyond is complete madness, madness I tells ya'!!

Another wise word by grandpa' Cosman.. The Ultimate Edition was the best thing to happen. It has "Hail to the winner" and "Anakin is free", which is everything a true John Williams fan needs. Anything beyond is complete madness, madness I tells ya'!!

Women, listen to me!

The TMP was a hastilly and shoddily produced piece of crap, it featured music that was tracked and looped in the film and not intended wewre and how John Williams composed it for the film, it had some of the worst tracknames since the development of the written word.

It's like they dumped an isolated score track on 2 CD's and wrappen it on some glitsy paper.

The only plus is that accidentally it has very good sound.

Women, listen to me!

The TMP was a hastilly and shoddily produced piece of crap, it featured music that was tracked and looped in the film and not intended wewre and how John Williams composed it for the film, it had some of the worst tracknames since the development of the written word.

It's like they dumped an isolated score track on 2 CD's and wrappen it on some glitsy paper.

The only plus is that accidentally it has very good sound.

...... tztztz.. Madness!!

It clearly features "All Notes Composed for The Phantom Menace" now this can't be bad!

Trust me, most descerning John Williams fans here agree with me. Especially since the shiny cover claims were are getting every note of the score, which is catagorically untrue.

It clearly features "All Notes Composed for The Phantom Menace" now this can't be bad!

No, there is a lot of music left out, there was even music on the first CD that is not on the UE.

The UE is the ultimate botch-job, it was put together by idiots who have no love or understanding of film music.

The only thing it did was to supply more talented and caring people with the raw material to lovingly create their own, more accurate versions.

Wait, wait, wait, wait , wait a second...

It has a blue Darth Maul! No what? If you can call me anything greater than that..! Also it has this wonderful Liner notes written by...uhmm.. Someone! YEah!

Exactly, it also caries no credits for those who are responsible for this release (the credits it has are cut and pasted from the OST). This was done purely as a product by Sony, to stem the growing market for TPM bootlegs at the time. Which in itself is fine, but I wish they would have extended some more effort.

The Phantom Menace Crap Edition doesn't even have the film version for "Augie's Great Municipal Band", they freaking used the album version instead. WIth the rest of the score supposedly being the film version they didn't bother to include that version of the cue.

The only good that has come with the Crap Edition for The Phantom Menace is the excellent sound quality and the unreleased material that is it. Thanks to the various Star Wars games and the OST it has the rest of the unused material and people can put together the proper intended edition which is what Sony should have released in the first damn place.

Exactly, it also caries no credits for those who are responsible for this release (the credits it has are cut and pasted from the OST). This was done purely as a product by Sony, to stem the growing market for TPM bootlegs at the time. Which in itself is fine, but I wish they would have extended some more effort.

John Williams even made a copmment about it "People wanted more music, so we gave it to them..!" John Williams didn't have a clue what this is all about, because otherwise.. well not sure if he would have done anything against this presentation, because he doesn't really care I think

We are lucky, that some of the great stuff has "survived" this miserable effort by Sony, but it is a pity and a waste of an opprtunitiy and it didn't stop bootlegs, because the demand for a prper release was still here

I thought it was reported that Williams felt insulted by the way how his score was handled in the final version of the film and I wouldn't doubt he felt insulted with the way how the 2-CD set was released too.

John Williams even made a copmment about it "People wanted more music, so we gave it to them..!" John Williams didn't have a clue what this is all about, because otherwise.. well not sure if he would have done anything against this presentation, because he doesn't really care I think

We are lucky, that some of the great stuff has "survived" this miserable effort by Sony, but it is a pity and a waste of an opprtunitiy and it didn't stop bootlegs, because the demand for a prper release was still here

Bipolar?

Have no fear, Michael Matessino and Nick Redman will get their hands on these prequel babies and produce a quality product someday.

I hope so, because these two got their hands on one of these prequel babies, and look what it got them? Killed!

OwenandBeruwithLuke.jpg

I'm trying to forget all about the TPM UE. Its unlistenable, the music is stretched and cutout, tempos dont work. The final audio cut in the movie went through audio editing software so that movie cues end up exactly with the music cues (like some point stretched out for 0.2second, or a 3 second loop that throws away the 4/4 signature)

Put a metronome to the music and you'll see. Anybody with a good ear does notices. I hate it. Good intention, bad execution. But the sound fidelity is as good as it gets for a modern score!

The UE doesn't exist if you have a really good bootleg in your possession. But since it amounts to an isolated score rip of the movie itself, it was a good attempt in the right direction, but fell a few steps short.

Bipolar?

well no, sorry.. I didn't even think that you will take my comments serious.. but I am not THAT long here, so you can't really know what is serious and what is not i suppose.

I don't like the LOL lets call it """"Artistic""""" approach to the set.. but I am not the greatest hater of it!

I know all the facts you brought up, just every little fact you mentioned in your posts about the UE.

The TPM U.E. gave us 1 hour + of unreleased TPM music in great sound to work with . Do with it what you want. I have a great re-assembled 99% complete score

I am convinced we would not have this music otherwise. I'd take the same thing for AotC and RotS instead of NOTHING and computer game rips

That is why I say put all the unreleased tracks on this Indy boxset at the expense of previously released ones .I take into account the amount of total amount of released music only and not the actual assembly of the released album. . I can easily add "X Marks the Spot" to LC in a playlist if it's not in this box set .

really,is there anyone here besides Alexcremmers that only listens to music sitting in front of their normal stereo system from the actual c.d. disks?

really,is there anyone here besides Alexcremmers that only listens to music sitting in front of their normal stereo system from the actual c.d. disks?

I don't do it exclusively, but I do it very often. But I do agree with what you said in your post.

What, they wouldn't listen to actual CDs?

I think he wouldn't listen to something as profane as a regular "Stereo" system.. as myself.. if my dad's not at home, and I can use his sound station though.. ;)

I don't.

And I very much doubt any professional record producer would do such a ghastly thing.

What, they wouldn't listen to actual CDs?

Lot of folks these days just rip the CD to their computer and put it away.

How do you know?