Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

The fact is that they are producing this release to a wider audience than just the JW fans. And this is a way to re-introduce Indiana Jones soundtracks for the first time to a bigger audience than ever before. The old albums have been out of print or hard to come by (for the general public, not dedicated JW fans) for a long while and even if "more music from Indy films" idea would be welcome to the long time fans of this music (many who want to have all the music) it does not make sense from the record company's perspective who aim for a wider public and bigger sales than 3000 units.

Thus these new releases are bound to have some if not all of the older material on them and then some. That is mainly because you can't drop 40 minutes of that high light material from ToD OST without impairing the release or losing some of the 59 minutes of TLC music without sacrificing the main set pieces that most of the general public remembers and wants to hear on the album. Tough but that's the way it is. Unless they go for double CD release for ToD and TLC which would be our dream but is very unlikely as yet again the money comes into the picture.

Yet there has been no confirmation on the number of the discs this set will include nor any tracklists for ToD or TLC. Another great way for Concord to fan the flames of madness that grip this MB at the moment. :)

What if they completely re-sequence TOD and LC ,dropping some previously released cues and adding more unreleased music ,NOT because they WANT to give us more unreleased music ,but because they start from scratch from the master tapes and just pick the cues they want from there , regardless of what was previously released

That is possible too . And the new Raiders c.d. indicates this ,since they didn't just slap on the DCC or OST tracks and add the new ones.

I know I bought ToD from eBay for $25.
I brought it in a c.d. store in 1995 for 75$

Do both of you have the Japanese import?

I paid like 54 bucks for the Japanese one in 2004, but still is better than not having it at all.

Today we're exactly 2 months away from the box-set.

November 11 it's, for me, The Day That Never Comes. :)

What if they completely re-sequence TOD and LC ,dropping some previously released cues and adding more unreleased music ,not because they WANT to give us more unreleased music ,but because they start from scratch from the master tapes and just pick the cues they want. They don't HAVE put ALL the old tracks if they make the new album regardless of what was previously released

that is possible too

Yes it is possible. Anything is possible up until the point we see the final track lists.

I was just saying that ToD and TLC OSTs contain such important cues that to drop them makes little sense from the perspective of producing a coherent album for general public and people who do not own the scores on CD.

You could produce an interesting and pretty coherent album from the unreleased ToD tracks without the high lights from the OST. For TLC it is a bit more difficult. And I am now thinking from the point of view of general audience who hasn't got any of the releases but has heard the music in the film and wants to buy it. Then again some of the music on the OSTs is so iconic it would be a shame to deprive people of that.

There is no way they are going to drop a track like " Fast Streets of Shanghai " from ToD ,because it is a highlight of the score. But what if they drop "Children in Chains " because they want to put a better (previously unreleased ) cue instead ? .Again ,in the theory they build a new album from scratch not taking into account what was previously released.

But in the end I agree with you Mark. I may sound selfish but I don't care if the new albums doesn't have some tracks (or even highlits) from the OSTs. That's because I own all of the OSTs so I'd love to have this new 80 minutes to be filled with the more unreleased music as possible. After all, nobody will be fully satisfied with this released no matter what, so there will be new bootlegs anyways (using tracks from the OSTS and from the new albums).

After all, nobody will be fully satisfied with this released no matter what, so there will be new bootlegs anyways (using tracks from the OSTS and from the new albums).

exactly

I'd love to have this new 80 minutes to be filled with the more unreleased music as possible.

And you consider this a distinct possibility?

After all, nobody will be fully satisfied with this released no matter what, so there will be new bootlegs anyways (using tracks from the OSTS and from the new albums).

exactly

yes and what about the "They Stole the Children" Alternate from the LEGO iNdy Game.. I doubt it will be on the OST. also next year we will have a new indy game for consoles, may be there will be some unreleased snippets too (like in Force unlashed)

exactly

:) So, as we already have the OSTs, the more tracks from the OSTs they will remove, the more space there will be for unreleased music, and the more new material fans will have to make new bootlegs.

I'd love to have this new 80 minutes to be filled with the more unreleased music as possible.

And you consider this a distinct possibility?

Well, dreaming is cool.

yes and what about the "They Stole the Children" Alternate from the LEGO iNdy Game.. I doubt it will be on the OST. also next year we will have a new indy game for consoles, may be there will be some unreleased snippets too (like in Force unlashed)

Nah Miss...the movies themselves have so much unreleased music, that we just don't need to search among other resources to find the material for these releases.

exactly

Are these alternates really so important compared to the unrelease stuff in the film itself? In the best cases alternates show changes in the way a scene was handled musically by the composer in the film scoring process. It might be good music but in the end stuff that we are not after in the first place. At least I'm not. It is just a bonus.

Indeed. First they should care about the unreleased "regular" cues.

Then, eventually, if there's still available space, then it's ok to have alternates (or concert arrangements as the "Parade of the Slave Children").

But I care much more about the music from the movie that wasn't on the CD. Which is a lot.

ahhh.

Didn't mean that it should be included on the official album of course.. I was responding to someone who wrote about creating a "bootleg" anyway.. I just mentioned this track to be included in such a BOOTLEG because it will ceratinly not be on the official album..

Then, eventually, if there's still available space, then it's ok to have alternates (or concert arrangements as the "Parade of the Slave Children").

But I care much more about the music from the movie that wasn't on the CD. Which is a lot.

Then you get special cases like Alien where it is absolutely necessary to hear the score as the composer originally intended, even when many of those cues never made it into the final cut of the film. Then the film versions become the "alternates" and "bonus tracks".

Then you get special cases like Alien where it is absolutely necessary to hear the score as the composer originally intended, even when many of those cues never made it into the final cut of the film. Then the film versions become the "alternates" and "bonus tracks".

OK, but I don't think Temple of Doom and/or Last Crusade are cases like that.

The only way to know that would be to have Indy releases with every note composed for the score. No wait, then I don't wanna know. :P

ok,so if we look at the E.T. 1996 Re-issue vs the Original album

Some the tracks from the original album were dropped for the re-issue or replaced by other takes. So it wasn't an expansion that HAD to include EVERY track from the OST.

Same thing with Close Encounters and Jaws

exactly

Are these alternates really so important compared to the unrelease stuff in the film itself? In the best cases alternates show changes in the way a scene was handled musically by the composer in the film scoring process. It might be good music but in the end stuff that we are not after in the first place. At least I'm not. It is just a bonus.

The alternate "They Stole The Children" is an interesting example for the purposes of this conversation, since it not only showcases an alternate musical approach, but features significant development of a major theme (the Sankara Stones theme) in a way that goes BEYOND what wound up appearing in the final film version of the score. I think there's an argument for that sort of thing having value equal to or greater than the "unreleased stuff in the film itself," as you put it.

exactly

The alternate "They Stole The Children" is an interesting example for the purposes of this conversation, since it not only showcases an alternate musical approach, but features significant development of a major theme (the Sankara Stones theme) in a way that goes BEYOND what wound up appearing in the final film version of the score. I think there's an argument for that sort of thing having value equal to or greater than the "unreleased stuff in the film itself," as you put it.

That's what was so good about the JAWS rerecording. So many more things were in the sheet music, but were originally taceted from the podium, probably just to stay out of the way of dialogue. An album has no dialogue, so why should we have to hear the versions that were changed just to stay out of the way.

Of course significant alternate version of cues have value but as ignorance is bliss we do not even know of their existence most of the time. To lament their exclusion is little futile in most cases. We might as well start wailing for all the possible lost alternates of every JW score and other scores. And when talking about these particular re-releases I would certainly rule them out if there is just one CD of space for the music.

Of course significant alternate version of cues have value but as ignorance is bliss we do not even know of their existence most of the time. To lament their exclusion is little futile in most cases. We might as well start wailing for all the possible lost alternates of every JW score and other scores. And when talking about these particular re-releases I would certainly rule them out if there is just one CD of space for the music.

Naturally, we can't lament the exclusion of music we don't know about -- music which may not even exist. I'm merely thinking from a producer's angle, in which case you'd presumably have access to such material. Let me put it this way ... if the new TOD album is released and contains the alternate "They Stole The Children" in place of the film version, I wouldn't necessarily complain, since the alternate's musical value arguably exceeds the film version.

Ideally, I'd want both, of course. :P

John ,do you think they might drop cues from the original ToD album in favor of new ones so we end up with a larger % of previously unreleased music ?

In a word: No. I don't see them cutting anything previously released -- expanding, perhaps (I hope!) ... but not cutting. Just my gut feeling.

John ,do you think they might drop cues from the original ToD album in favor of new ones so we end up with a larger % of previously unreleased music ?

I don't remember the album that well, but the descriptions above sound to me like the Jaws situation: If the album was (at least partly) made up of album versions different from the film cues (and possibly never even intended for the film), we might be gettng the "OST" this time. Which would mean I'd still have to track down a copy of the original TOD...

All of this madness would stop as soon as we got track titles (and times). Well, theoretically it would, however I think things have a way of turning to chaos when something big happens. Introduce a little anarchy, anyone?

most people here still do not legally own TO.

Cyring.gif

Neil

Smart ass.........:P

While LC is out of print you can still find sealed copies for $9.99 in Barnes & Noble. I've seen them.

About 8 years ago (before they went out of business) Wharehouse music /Blockbuster music had a huge stock of import TOD CD's that they were selling for $19.95 each. When I mean huge I mean about 10-15 CDs per store. That's how I finally tracked down a cheap copy. I believe many people took advantage because I remember it being posted at FSM & Moviemusic.com to name a few.

Yes, but the majority of consumers may not own those existing Temple and Crusade discs, as their interest in buying them waned as the availability dwindled to zero. So Concord will probably ignore those two CDs as ever having existed, and just look at the total amount of music they have to choose from, and cut each film down to what they (or their chosen film aficionado) feel is the most essential music from each movie. After all, they're not making "volume 2" to go with each of those two films' OSTs. Which means we'll probably get the bulk of what we already have, plus a little more to fill out each disc.

Some the tracks from the original album were dropped for the re-issue or replaced by other takes. So it wasn't an expansion that HAD to include EVERY track from the OST.

And they already sort of did it with Raiders, as they got rid of "The Raiders March."

Yes, but the majority of consumers may not own those existing Temple and Crusade discs, as their interest in buying them waned as the availability dwindled to zero. So Concord will probably ignore those two CDs as ever having existed, and just look at the total amount of music they have to choose from, and cut each film down to what they (or their chosen film aficionado) feel is the most essential music from each movie. After all, they're not making "volume 2" to go with each of those two films' OSTs. Which means we'll probably get the bulk of what we already have, plus a little more to fill out each disc.

Oh I know, that was just a comment to those who said that the discs were always hard to come across and overpriced.

Concord is not going to release a Volume II for TOD & LC. They are going to remaster the original albums and add additional music to them. Which is the correct thing to do.

Again, these are not marketed to the small group of JW fans that crave every note of Williams's music as some people seem to think.

This is a release that will not only appeal to JW fans but to the general public who also purchase soundtracks and the non anal fans of Indiana Jones music.

And they already sort of did it with Raiders, as they got rid of "The Raiders March."

The CE3K, E.T. and Jaws releases were the actual tracks used in the films and not the album versions Williams prepared. So it was in your best interest to hang on to the original albums.

I would imagine this is going to be the case for TOD & LC. And the missing Raiders March is no big deal since it's basically an edited form of the End Credits.

And Indy4, no offense but you really need to shrink your signature. :P

Oh I know, that was just a comment to those who said that the discs were always hard to come across and overpriced.

Only in certain parts of the USA perhaps, and only for a brief moment.

Concord is not going to release a Volume II for TOD & LC. They are goeing to remaster the original albums and add additional music to them. Which is the correct thing to do.

The voice of sanity.