Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

Lossless I believe? It's an option at least.

Yes Blu-Ray has lossless audio and is the best for picture. Trust me I've seen a comparison of both Blu-Ray and regular DVD. Blu-Ray is a 1,000x's better than your standard DVD.

And it's got a 1,000x more DRM. I refuse to upgrade (at least so far, and I hope I'll stick to that) until it's cracked.

:)

I'm gonna be upgrading starting next year. My gf all ready bought my first Blu-Ray movie as a birthday gift and I'll be buying a PS3 in January along with Call Of Duty 4 and Force Unleashed.

Is a Blu ray rip of rear channels even possible?

I don't think so. Unless someone has a blu-ray drive in their computer.

That's not the only way. But I don't think they'd make a Bu-Ray Player with each separate channel's audio output. That's how I do them on DVDs.

A mass is whenever a group of followers gathers to celebrate a cult under a leader - nothing to fight about, it's just a word.

Actually, your definition (and other definitions in this thread) represents a common misconception. The confusion probably stems from people assuming that "mass" means "a large gathering or group." (e.g. "The church was packed with a mass of people.") That sense of "mass," however, is derived from the Latin "massa" (which actually goes back even further to a Greek word with the rough meaning of "to knead"). "Mass" in the religious sense, on the other hand, comes from the Latin "missa," which means "dismissal" and is the key word in the final phrase of the Latin liturgy ("Ite, missa est," or, "Go; it is the dismissal"). Historically speaking, the Mass has only ever been associated with the Roman Catholic church and a few of its offshoots (like the Anglican Communion). Most other Christian groups have strenuously avoided using this term to describe their worship due to its indelible association with Rome, which holds within professional academic and journalistic circles (take a look in any mainstream dictionary or encyclopedia). Certainly no non-Christian group that I am aware of has ever adopted the term to describe its worship or rituals, with the exception of Satanists -- who, of course, are deliberately mocking the Latin/Roman Catholic tradition.

As for it being "just a word" ... well, yes and no. Words have meanings, and those meanings are frequently important. And while it's true that if enough people form a misconception about a word, or begin to use it in a different way, the commonly held definition can expand or change. In the case of "Mass," however, that hasn't happened yet ... what we have is merely a series of isolated incidents of people using a word they think they know the definition for, but don't. I don't mean that as an insult, BTW ... it's a big language, and we all have our blind spots. :)

In any event, back to Indy...

I can confirm that the DVD of KOTCS has VERY nice-sounding rear channels! The orchestra is nice and clear, and seems a close match for the front-channel mix (no high-end or low-end tilting). It's virtually free of dialogue, ambience is generally low, and surround FX are not overwhelming. For those who are into such rips, there's a lot to work with here. (Also, there *may* be some unreleased music on the chapter menus -- albeit only a short clip.)

John. Takis. Freakin'. Rules. :lol:

Um, the followers of the Thuggee cult were literally brainwashed by fear of painful death and more direct influence of chemicals or drugs, not by religious tutelage. Even Indiana Jones, who always seems more skeptical of such things than ready to believe, was easily turned into a "true believer" by drinking one cup of the blood of Kali and spending one painful night in psychological agony. The manner in which he and the Maharajah had to be "awoken" from their religious state -- by being burned -- shows how deeply his brain was affected, so the same would hold true for all the priests of the stones and the whip-wielding taskmasters.

As for the mass of followers, I doubt there was enough Kali juice to go around, so those guys were merely on their hands and knees chanting to show they were good little Thuggee believers, and not get whipped or picked to be that day's sacrificial offering. Although one of them was always doomed to get burned anyways.

Books and Culture has published an interesting article on the degree to which Christian sensibilities have infused the four Indiana Jones films. The author finds that, beyond the filmmaking, the latest installment falls short from a theological standpoint, as well. And that's all I'll say about that.

I can't believe everyone is getting their knickers in such a knot over a fake tracklist I pulled out of my @$$. The fact that someone would look up the etymology of a word just because they believe I misused it, in this thread no less, just shows that we've all got way too much time on our hands. Whenever I post here I always seem to forget that no matter how I intend to contribute, there are always the nitpickers lurking in every thread.

I can't believe everyone is getting their knickers in such a knot over a fake tracklist I pulled out of my @$$. The fact that someone would look up the etymology of a word just because they believe I misused it, in this thread no less, just shows that we've all got way too much time on our hands. Whenever I post here I always seem to forget that no matter how I intend to contribute, there are always the nitpickers lurking in every thread.

First, I'm an English major and a librarian, so parsing word meanings and origins is kind of second nature to me.

Second, I didn't believe you misused it; you did misuse it, and I happened to know.

Third, accurate language usage is an asset to any thread, on any subject.

Fourth, my intention in posting was not to nitpick; it was to put an end to the distraction and move us back on-topic.

Finally, there's no need to be sore. Mistakes happen, and people are more sensitive to some topics (e.g. words with religious overtones) than others. Hopefully, we can leave it at that and move on.

(P.S. While I appreciate the flattery from Darth Mojo [edit: Darth Wojo -- case in point], etc., anyone who's known me for a long time knows that I've made mistakes on my "homework" before. bowdown I sincerely hope that I make less of them as time goes on, but I'm certainly not infallible...)

:wub: at the Darth Mojo comment.

I am quite disgusted with myself. This ended up being my 1,000th post, moving me into the "Frequent Poster" status, and I didn't even notice it.

bowdown

So....we've moved on to CD cases and how the box should be designed?

And something about Mola Ram and his followers because someone posted a track list?

First, I'm an English major and a librarian, so parsing word meanings and origins is kind of second nature to me.

Second, I didn't believe you misused it; you did misuse it, and I happened to know.

Third, accurate language usage is an asset to any thread, on any subject.

Fourth, my intention in posting was not to nitpick; it was to put an end to the distraction and move us back on-topic.

Finally, there's no need to be sore. Mistakes happen, and people are more sensitive to some topics (e.g. words with religious overtones) than others. Hopefully, we can leave it at that and move on.

Don't worry, I'm not angry. I was just amused at how my semi score-related post was derailed because of one word's use. To be honest, I debated over whether or not to use the word mass at all. I mainly chose it because of the alliteration.

Anyway, regarding the artwork of the new set, I'm perfectly happy with it. While it's not the best I've ever seen, it's more than good. I just can't help but wonder why the art on the cover of The Last Crusade is so small. I know the size of the poster art on the OST caused trouble but it wasn't remotely as bad as on the new release. Still, I'm only worried about the music.

On topic? Since when is anything in here on topic? You're not going to get any serious discussion in here until a) someone releases an official tracklist, b) someone buys the Raiders standalone disc, or c) ~November 11 when we all get our box sets. Until then, hang on and enjoy the ride.

And don't get me started about the Rhino Ben-Hur.....

The liner notes on the Rhino release of Ben-Hur and the Fox Anthology release of Star Wars trilogy are the best I've ever seen and read. If they came as a standard CD sized liner notes, you'd have something else to moan at.

yeah, they'd have to come with a magnifying lens 'cause the font would be so tiny.

Here's my Anthology and Rhino Ben-Hur. You'll notice that there's no adjacent cds. That's not because I have no other cds. It's because I have to use my BOOK SHELF TO FIT THEM!

shelf.jpg

One's for playing, the other for looking ;)

A mass is whenever a group of followers gathers to celebrate a cult under a leader - nothing to fight about, it's just a word.

Actually, your definition (and other definitions in this thread) represents a common misconception. The confusion probably stems from people assuming that "mass" means "a large gathering or group." (e.g. "The church was packed with a mass of people.") That sense of "mass," however, is derived from the Latin "massa" (which actually goes back even further to a Greek word with the rough meaning of "to knead"). "Mass" in the religious sense, on the other hand, comes from the Latin "missa," which means "dismissal" and is the key word in the final phrase of the Latin liturgy ("Ite, missa est," or, "Go; it is the dismissal"). Historically speaking, the Mass has only ever been associated with the Roman Catholic church and a few of its offshoots (like the Anglican Communion). Most other Christian groups have strenuously avoided using this term to describe their worship due to its indelible association with Rome, which holds within professional academic and journalistic circles (take a look in any mainstream dictionary or encyclopedia). Certainly no non-Christian group that I am aware of has ever adopted the term to describe its worship or rituals, with the exception of Satanists -- who, of course, are deliberately mocking the Latin/Roman Catholic tradition.

As for it being "just a word" ... well, yes and no. Words have meanings, and those meanings are frequently important. And while it's true that if enough people form a misconception about a word, or begin to use it in a different way, the commonly held definition can expand or change. In the case of "Mass," however, that hasn't happened yet ... what we have is merely a series of isolated incidents of people using a word they think they know the definition for, but don't. I don't mean that as an insult, BTW ... it's a big language, and we all have our blind spots. :)

Thanks for clearing that up.

But it's still just a word on a crappy, fake, irrelevant tracklist.

Is a Blu ray rip of rear channels even possible?

I don't think so. Unless someone has a blu-ray drive in their computer.

That's not the only way. But I don't think they'd make a Bu-Ray Player with each separate channel's audio output. That's how I do them on DVDs.

Do you mean a stand alone player with 5.1 analog output? If so, they most certainly do exist. There's a fair number of them in fact.

Guest seventiesfilmnut

This might help to get things back on topic :)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Indiana-Jones-Comp...444&sr=8-11

ディスク:1

1. In the Jungle

2. The Idol Temple

3. Escape from the Temple

4. Flight from Peru

5. Washington Men/Indy's Home *

6. A Thought for Marion/To Nepal

7. The Medallion

8. Flight to Cairo

9. The Basket Game

10. Bad Dates *

11. The Map Room: Dawn

12. Reunion in the Tent/Searching for the Well

13. The Well of the Souls

14. Indy Rides the Statue *

15. The Fist Fight/The Flying Wing

16. Desert Chase

17. Marion1s Theme/The Crate

18. The German Sub

19. Ride to the Nazi Hideout

20. Indy Follows the Ark

21. The Miracle of the Ark

22. Washington Ending & Raiders March * Previously unreleased on CD

ディスク:2

1. Anything Goes

2. Indy Negotiates *

3. The Nightclub Brawl *

4. Fast Streets of Shanghai

5. Map/Out of Fuel *

6. Slalom on Mt. Humol

7. Short Round1s Theme

8. The Scroll/To Pankot Palace *

9. Nocturnal Activities

10. Bug Tunnel/Death Trap

11. Approaching the Stones *

12. Children in Chains

13. The Temple of Doom

14. Short Round Escapes *

15. Saving Willie *

16. Slave Children's Crusade

17. Short Round Helps *

18. The Mine Car Chase

19. Water! *

20. The Sword Trick *

21. The Broken Bridge/British Relief *

22. End Credits* Previously unreleased

ディスク:3

1. Indy1s Very First Adventure **

2. The Boat Scene *

3. X Marks the Spot

4. Ah, Rats!!!

5. Escape from Venice

6. Journey to Austria *

7. Father and Son Reunited *

8. The Austrian Way *

9. Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

10. Alarm! *

11. No Ticket

12. Keeping Up With the Joneses

13. Brother of the Cruciform Sword

14. On the Tank *

15. Belly of the Steel Beast

16. The Canyon of the Crescent Moon

17. The Penitent Man Will Pass

18. The Keeper of the Grail

19. Finale & End Credits*Previously unreleased ** Includes previously unreleased material

ディスク:4

1. Raiders March

2. Call of the Crystal

3. The Adventures of Mutt

4. Irina's Theme

5. The Snake Pit

6. The Spell of the Skull

7. The Journey to Akator

8. A Whirl Through Academe

9. "Return"

10. The Jungle Chase

11. Orellana1s Cradle

12. Grave Robbers

13. Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold

14. Secret Doors and Scorpions

15. Oxley1s Dilemma

16. Ants!

17. Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed

18. The Departure

19. FinaleDisc Five: INTERVIEWS AND MORE MUSIC FROM INDIANA JONES

I cannot freaking WAIT to hold these soundtracks in my grubby mitts!

- 7FN

Guest seventiesfilmnut

Hahaha my sentiments too!

This looks awsome, though - no doubt - certain people here will be complaining and bitching in no time at all. I haven't been this excited about a soundtrack release since the 1993 Star Wars Anthology set, though the Superman Blue Box came pretty close.

Just look at the extended tracks for Temple - it's a thing of beauty to behold after all this time!!!

And they are keeping us guessing at the extra music on the fifth disc - I bet it's more from Last Crusade in particular...

Let the guessing commence :)

- 7FN

:)!

Yes, that was a positive swear. If these tracklists are true...;)! I'm really :censored: ing excited now. ToD looks virtually complete, and the remaining unreleased LC cues should fit easily on disc 5.

:censored:! :D

Hahaha my sentiments too!

This looks awsome, though - no doubt - certain people here will be complaining and bitching in no time at all.

You will always have someone be bitching and complaining about something. Believe it or not, I'm excited about the set.

Guest seventiesfilmnut

Obviously having all this extra music is GREAT, but my personal Holy Grail (ha!) has always been the travelling segment of music from Temple - just the thought of hearing that from the original masters has me furiously searching the net for any blueprints to build a time machine so I can go forward a few weeks :)

It's certainly an awsome year for Indiana Jones (I LOVED Crystal Skull and the soundtrack - it's definately a 'grower' but I find myself listening to it almost daily now) as well as movie soundtracks.

Way to go Concord Records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This looks incredible :)

Can we assume the track "On the tank" is the other portion of In The Belly of the Steel Beast (some people call it the Pen is Mightier than the Sword)?

Awesome! My anticipation for this has just gone way up.

21. The Broken Bridge/British Relief *

22. End Credits* Previously unreleased

:)

Wait... I hate to say it, but isn't there actually no asterisk next to "End Credits"? The asterisk seems to be part of the next line.

Can we assume the track "On the tank" is the other portion of In The Belly of the Steel Beast (some people call it the Pen is Mightier than the Sword)?

Yes, I would think so. It looks like they're preserving most of the tracks from the original OST releases the way they were, so we're getting Belly of the Steel Beast as it was on that then that extention on a seperate track.

Alarm in Last Crusade would have to be the only full cue that wasn't on the old LC Vol. 2 boot, aka The Floor's On Fire. And complete Indy's First Adventure. Freakin' complete Indy's First Adventure. That alone has me jumping up and down.

Alarm in Last Crusade would have to be the only full cue that wasn't on the old LC Vol. 2 boot, aka The Floor's On Fire.

Yeah, that's confusing. It's not in chronological order.

Wait... I hate to say it, but isn't there actually no asterisk next to "End Credits"? The asterisk seems to be part of the next line.

Do you mean the Last Crusade one? That's complete on the OST, no extention needed.

EDIT- Actually I think it is in chrono order Henry, there's just still a fair amount of LC cues not on there. Hopefully disc 5.

ok,ok,well for the 3 first c.d.'s that's the best we can hope for .Lets hope for more Last Crusade stuff on disk 5.

Just one thing...."Short Round Helps " better be Underground Heroics

The Village cues are missing from ToD.

Do you mean the Last Crusade one? That's complete on the OST, no extention needed.

Nope, I meant ToD.

EDIT- Actually I think it is in chrono order Henry, there's just still a fair amount of LC cues not on there. Hopefully disc 5.

If "Alarm!" is "The Floor's on Fire," it should go before "Scherzo," not after it.

Doesn't look that way to me...

Guest seventiesfilmnut

I think I'm going to personally hunt down and kick in the nuts the FIRST person that starts winging about this release - it's FAR better than any of us could have hoped for a few months back. There's going to be SOMETHING missing, but hey we gots the bulk of it at long last. Thank God for people like Laurent Bouzereau who REALLY care about what they produce. I bet it wasnt easy persuading the powers that be to get these soundtracks 1) out again and 2) extended at that!

Wonder if 5th disc will remain a mystery until release date? Increases the fun element of it I must say :)

If "Alarm!" is "The Floor's on Fire," it should go before "Scherzo," not after it.

Whoops. Quite right.

"* Previously unreleased" is next to "End Credits" on all three soundtracks; evidently it was meant to be on a separate line. Therefore, there is nothing unreleased in the ToD end credits. On the other hand, the unreleased finale/end credits could be part of "The Broken Bridge/British Relief."

Ok, so according the bootlegs I have, this is the duration of the extra Last Crusade Tracks:

1. Indy1s Very First Adventure ** (extra 3:41)

2. The Boat Scene * (2:16)

6. Journey to Austria * (0:41)

7. Father and Son Reunited * (2:09)

8. The Austrian Way * (2:36)

10. Alarm! * (2:39)

14. On the Tank * (3:35)

Which gives an extra 17:37 minutes of music.

Since all the tracks from the orginal album seem to be here, and that album had a total running time of exactly 59 minutes, we can say the total running time of this cd is of 76:37 minutes of music.

Going by this the only cues that are obviously missing from ToD are the cues in the village in between Slalom on Mt. Humol and Short Round's Theme, but the end of the film has a long of long cues, we'll have to see just how long Saving Willie and Short Round Helps are.

For Last Crusade, the missing cues are (titles taken from the Vol. 2 boot):

Packet from Dad

Inscription on the Rock

Ransacked House

Into the Catacombs

Put Down the Gun

Escape in the Truck

Blashemy/Berlin

Papa Jones Shot

The Wrong Chalise/Papa Jones Healed

BTW, this is not a bitch post, just getting all the info out there. Theoretically there should be plenty of room on disc 5 for all of this.

"* Previously unreleased" is next to "End Credits" on all three soundtracks; evidently it was meant to be on a separate line. Therefore, there is nothing unreleased in the ToD end credits. On the other hand, the unreleased finale/end credits could be part of "The Broken Bridge/British Relief."

Or it could just be a typo. :)

The exclusion of the "Indy In Deep Sleep of Khali " cues on ToD is s good thing for now .The C.D seems filled to capacity with the most wanted cues.

I REALLY HOPE c.d. 5 has more stuff though

Wow. Nice looking tracklists. :)

I particularly hope The Diary cue from Crusade will be on disc 5. Great rendition of the Grail Theme.

EDIT -- Ransacked House is the name from the boot, I guess.

Or it could just be a typo. :)

I'm not sure what you're saying, young rabbit. Look at the track lists. Amazon.jp messed up the formatting by not putting a carriage return (an enter) after the final track of each disc. It's clear that "* previously unreleased" is its own line and does not correspond to "End Credits" from Temple of Doom.