Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

Raiders only being $9 is their attempt to get more money. If you only want the new Raiders, fine, but if you want the whole set, wait. I'd be surprised if a copy of it didn't leak on the 'net, someplace.

I am curious about the report that TOD and LC will be issued separately. Yes the re-use fee problem, but that's not what gets me. Was the unofficial word that they would be released separately concurrent with the box set? If TOD and LC are issued individually on November 11, what would make me want to get the boxed set? No offense, but an interview with John Williams is not sufficient incentive. A few years ago, the James Bond film series was released on DVD in four box sets; the individual titles were released beginning a few months later. If TOD and LC won't be issued until next year, some time, that may be enough to get me to buy the set.

This should prove to be interesting...

I'm gonna guess that Raiders is being released early and seperate because it is the most well known and probably sold the best out of the three original scores.

Plus it was recorded overseas compared to the others being done here in the States. I'm not a 100% sure as to how the re-use fees apply over a period of time.

I'll just buy anything that comes out, just to be sure.

Will there be different cover version and collectible cards?

We can only hope!

Morlock- bummed out that he could only find 45 of the 48 different covers to Attack of the Clones.

Raiders only being $9 is their attempt to get more money. If you only want the new Raiders, fine, but if you want the whole set, wait. I'd be surprised if a copy of it didn't leak on the 'net, someplace.

I am curious about the report that TOD and LC will be issued separately. Yes the re-use fee problem, but that's not what gets me. Was the unofficial word that they would be released separately concurrent with the box set? If TOD and LC are issued individually on November 11, what would make me want to get the boxed set? No offense, but an interview with John Williams is not sufficient incentive. A few years ago, the James Bond film series was released on DVD in four box sets; the individual titles were released beginning a few months later. If TOD and LC won't be issued until next year, some time, that may be enough to get me to buy the set.

This should prove to be interesting...

The individual Bond's weren't the same versions as in the sets, though.

I'm excited about the prospects for this, but really I'm hoping that maybe it indicates there is a possibility of the Star Wars Prequel scores being released in complete or expanded form in the next year or so.

Do you have the Charza Kwinn one? I'll can trade a Momaw Nadon or Vodo-Siosk Baas for it.

I don't have the Kwinn one, but I have 3 Hassani Shapi ones to send you. You don't need the CDs, do you? I threw those out years ago. Useless stuff. They're the same, even though the covers are cool and variable.

What does one have to do with the other?

Nothing really. It's just a blind hope that if one Williams' series previously thought unlikely to be released in decent form is coming out, maybe another will, too.

Other than that out-there dream, it's not going to happen.

What does one have to do with the other?

Nothing really. It's just a blind hope that if one Williams' series previously thought unlikely to be released in decent form is coming out, maybe another will, too.

Other than that out-there dream, it's not going to happen.

Nah, there will have to be a major event by Lucasfilm so he and Sony can tie those releases into the event.

The fact they keep re-releasing the original trilogy tells me it will be awhile.

You know it's a good thing that Indy 4 performed well at the B.O. That probably tipped the scales in our favor

I doubt it. This must probably have been in the works for quite a while, before the BO results for KOTCS were in.

You're forgetting FSM's Superman Box as well as Jaws and CE3K.

And the Varese Club and Intrada releases.

Those need to be reworked. The sound quality leaves much to be desired... all I can hear is hiss.

CE3K is among the best-sounding discs from that era I've heard.

Omigod!

Omigod! Omigod! Omigod!!

funny-pictures-mouse-is-in-a-room-full-of-cheese.jpg

We are on the verge of the biggest soundtrack event in JWfan history. The last one of this magnitude was in 1997 with the SW S.E's

or the biggest letdown ever

I'll take Stefan's comments a step further.

The only way the release of these Indiana Jones CDs could possibly approach the magnitude of the release of the three complete LOTR scores is if the Indiana Jones scores that get released are themselves complete. Raiders looks to be a step in the right direction, but only time will tell if Temple and Crusade get the same treatment. I'll hope but I won't go nuts in anticipation.

Besides, the re-release of these Indiana Jones scores, complete or otherwise, fills the marketing niche that exists only not having them for sale at all. The OSTs to all three prequels are still available, so a re-release would compete with product still on the shelf, and the poor publicity garnered by the two disc UE of Episode I means a new release of extended material would need to be much more significant than what amounts to a 1:1 rip of the score to the DVD. I'd wait a generation or so before placing any bets on a release of extended prequel music, so there's time to expunge inventory and the films have time to grow a nostalgic feel to them with fans.

ok ,after reading the press release many times

"Included are expanded and remastered versionS of Raiders of the Lost Ark, AND EXCLUSIVE to this set: Indiana Jones & The Temple Doom, and Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade"

I think ToD and LC will be expanded ,but only in the box set. The individual ToD and LC will be the old c.d.'s .There is not really any other way to interpret that sentence

the sentence should have been this:

"Included are expanded and remastered versions of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones & The Temple Doom, and Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade"

but they had to shoehorn the "exclusive" thing into the sentence

If there are expanded releases coming, who would one put the old versions back on sale?

that is my theory where the whole "re-use" fee thing comes into play. Maybe they can;t press more than a certain amount of expanded ToD and LC

I don't see this set matching the level of quality we've come to expect from the niche labels like FSM and Varese. This will be geared more towards the casual market and not the hardcore collector. I'm not expecting it to be as thorough as the Superman box set or even the previous DCC album in terms of presentation. The extra music will be nice though and it's nice that this music will be back in print.

Neil

How will it be less thorough than the DCC album? :mrgreen: I guess you mean liner notes. They're great, of course, but I feel it ultimately comes down to the music. I mean, I would have bought Superman: The Music whether the included book was five pages or fifty. Plus the DCC Raiders is detuned and (as you've pointed out, Neil) compromises the choir mix, so we are most likely looking at improved sound quality.

I think it's too early to claim this release won't be geared toward serious collectors. We have no idea who worked on it. Who's to say the A team from FSM or Intrada wasn't hired? (For example, the similarly commercial Star Wars SE CDs had Mike Matessino onboard.)

I don't see this set matching the level of quality we've come to expect from the niche labels like FSM and Varese. This will be geared more towards the casual market and not the hardcore collector. I'm not expecting it to be as thorough as the Superman box set or even the previous DCC album in terms of presentation. The extra music will be nice though and it's nice that this music will be back in print.

Neil

I agree ,but at this point if we get significant unreleased ToD music I'll be happy. I'm a bit concerned with LC because it's more difficult to shrink to 1 c.d.

I've known and dealt with Peter Kelly for 12 years. If that's what Concord told him then I believe him.

I've only been dealing with him the last couple of years but yes I agree with you.

I don't see this set matching the level of quality we've come to expect from the niche labels like FSM and Varese. This will be geared more towards the casual market and not the hardcore collector.

Neil

I agree with this point.

Plus the DCC Raiders is detuned and (as you've pointed out, Neil) compromises the choir mix, so we are most likely looking at improved sound quality.

It was the original album that had the wrong pitch. The DCC is correct.

Neil

My bad, the entire album isn't detuned. But there's something screwy in the beginning of the Raiders March. You can play it against a piano and it'll sound awful. By the end of the piece the tuning is correct.

Well going by the SAE order page we could still be missing two cues: the 2nd half of The Well of the Souls and The Mummy Cave. Though I could see them being attatched to other cues (The Well of the Souls proper and...do I have to call it Indy Rides the Statue?). Time will tell.

And it might be a bit late (though it looks like we've shows restraint so far), but I'd like to make a bit of a plea to everyone: don't contact Concord. Don't deluge them with emails and requests for information about ToD and LC. Like Raiders, they'll release it when they're ready and it looks so far they're going to be treating us right. So don't be a nuisance. :mrgreen:

That guy didn't seem to know exactly if they are going to be released individually! (he thought it said so but it isn't official) so I wouldn't go nuts with that

and maybe spculation is fun, but face it:

you don't know much more than what is on the main page... and you won't know more until there is another official announcement!

so why worry??

Well going by the SAE order page we could still be missing two cues: the 2nd half of The Well of the Souls and The Mummy Cave. Though I could see them being attatched to other cues (The Well of the Souls proper and...do I have to call it Indy Rides the Statue?). Time will tell.

face it, this can't be complete.. no way..it doesn't fit on one CD, and I really don't think they would make a mistake at SAE.. it clearly points out the new tracks

if the person who assembled the tracks is smart ,he would put the complete Well of Souls and Mummy Cave and leave out some other cue we have on the DCC release

I don't visit that place,but I'll take your word for it

You can take mine, too.

I'd typed a reply to some points above earlier, but apparently closed the browser instead of sending it, or at least I can't find it now. Just wanted to add the Varese Club releases (and Images) to the notable Williams re-releases of recent years, and point out that CE3K sounds excellent, one of the best-sounding CDs I know from that time.

if the person who assembled the tracks is smart ,he would put the complete Well of Souls and Mummy Cave and leave out some other cue we have on the DCC release

Uh, just because something was released on DCC doesn't mean they shouldn't include it now? They should release the best presentation, regardless of what's been available be for, it's not like their putting that old release back in circulation.

and point out that CE3K sounds excellent, one of the best-sounding CDs I know from that time.

Are you talking about the album or the expansion?

Even if LC and ToD are released expanded seperately, I'm going to wait for the box set.

I thought about waiting out the purchase until Christmas, like I did for RotK CR, but I couldn't do that again.