Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

as was mine, Im not the ultimate judge, what you infer just shows you're not as thoughtful as you think. If you've even read my posts Im more of a John Williams fan, and less of a film music fan. You yourself said that my opinion should be treated for what it is, an opinion. Just as I treat what you saw with the same. You should also know that there are people here who are fun to manipulate, I wasn't trying to manipulate you, as you seem fairly nice and far more knowledgable of "music" than me. Still my opinion of people who think AOTC is good music is low, because as a Star Wars score it fails.

KM you're the most easily manipulated person here.

Well we seem to share opinion about AOTC it fails as a Star Wars score bigtime.. and despite of some cues it isn't very inventive, "composed-with-the-heart-of-the-composer"-music. Still it is well crafted and musically not that uninteresting for me.

Oh I am very thoughtful, believe me, I am just not aware of who I am in general, I despise so many things but on the other hand I am part of that, and this makes me feel torn apart sometimes.. well I apologize to anyone reading this post and thinking:

JEEZ this is an INDIANA JONES thread!! the hell!!!" :o

but your attitude I don't like it there are two ways:

fight it or ignore it

I know that, but I always get over it.

plus you're good natured about it.

but will you be so good natured about it when Ricard announces that it was all a great joke, to build up your hopes.

whatever Vosk, we know what you said.

you just didn't have the "boy" to say it to us here.

:o

No I think it means I'm acting a bit more grown up about it and not like someone who has his head too far up his butt.

Padme, I appreciate that you prefer to take the edge off things with humour and lightheartedness, but why should you? You don't have to defend yourself from anyone and you certainly don't have to be the diplomat for the sake of the forum. Hell no.

as was mine, Im not the ultimate judge, what you infer just shows you're not as thoughtful as you think. If you've even read my posts Im more of a John Williams fan, and less of a film music fan. You yourself said that my opinion should be treated for what it is, an opinion. Just as I treat what you saw with the same. You should also know that there are people here who are fun to manipulate, I wasn't trying to manipulate you, as you seem fairly nice and far more knowledgable of "music" than me. Still my opinion of people who think AOTC is good music is low, because as a Star Wars score it fails.

Well we seem to share opinion about AOTC it fails as a Star Wars score bigtime.. and despite of some cues it isn't very inventive, "composed-with-the-heart-of-the-composer"-music. Still it is well crafted and musically not that uninteresting for me.

Oh I am very thoughtful, believe me, I am just not aware of who I am in general, I despise so many things but on the other hand I am part of that, and this makes me feel torn apart sometimes.. well I apologize to anyone reading this post and thinking:

JEEZ this is an INDIANA JONES thread!! the hell!!!" :lol:

nothing on JW is as it seem. No thread of any length stays on topic, some completely forget the topic all together. This tread has evolved into crap, turned back on itself, regained its legs been directed again and so forth. All threads on JW fall into two categories, the doldrums and the prequels suck.

whatever Vosk, we know what you said.

you just didn't have the "boy" to say it to us here.

:o

No I think it means I'm acting a bit more grown up about it and not like someone who has his head too far up his butt.

Oh Ok that makes it better than you go to FSM and MM and trash us(me) here, that does make you more grown up.

Padme, I appreciate that you prefer to take the edge off things with humour and lightheartedness, but why should you? You don't have to defend yourself from anyone and you certainly don't have to be the diplomat for the sake of the forum. Hell no.

There is still good in this forum, I know it!!

perhaps you should contemplate your vagina more and you'd understand the bitchiness you just expressed so well while trying to seem above board.

Look Joe, we all know your 'way' around here, but what you just said is simply bang out of order. In fact you should get some sort of ban for it. Come down from up where you place yourself and realise that your sh*t stinks with the best of 'em.

if that happens life will go on, and AOTC will still be bad. :o

Your right as long as we absolutely get the film version. I have no idea what Return to the Village /Raiders March is doing on disk 5 instead of replacing the old track on disk 2

I'd say because the TOD film credits version has that bad edit near the end of it. Where the bridge is completely left out.

That ALWAYS bugged me.

How is attached as suggestion of what will be included with track times?

Sounds likely? Sounds good? :rolleyes:

Very good. Thats extremely helpful, thanks a bunch

great work, but I think you made a mistake:

The Austrian Way - Put down the gun, is not correct. This has to be more likely - "The Jonses Tied Up" (which doesn't belong into the unreleased folder then)

If that's correct, I'll be one seriously ecstatic bunny. There's one single cue (Professor Jones is Shot) that I'd want to keep from the boot out of the 'unreleased' list.

Greg, don't propose until you find out if she's a Dr Who fan! That's very important in a marriage :rolleyes:

James - who got lucky in that regard!

Me too! ...though mine wasn't a fan when I met her, but I converted her. Even before the new series started! :)

She's also an Indiana Jones fan (he said in a blatant attempt to bring this thread back somewhere in the vicinity of the topic).

great work, but I think you made a mistake:

The Austrian Way - Put down the gun, is not correct. This has to be more likely - "The Jonses Tied Up" (which doesn't belong into the unreleased folder then)

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right

so who has bought their copies of KOTCS today?

Doesn't it come out next week? I do know some stores will get their shipment in this thursday.

I didn't realize that it was next week. so who bought their copies of Joy Ride 2 today.

As a part-time contributor in this thread, am I right in thinking we're getting the FULL film edit of Belly of the Steel Beast? If so then I am happy and done. Everything else is a bonus.

You're getting all the music from the sequence, but not the film edit, since On the Tank was inserted in the middle of Belly of the Steel Beast. I'd rather have those tracks separated, as it seems we're getting

You're getting all the music from the sequence, but not the film edit, since On the Tank was inserted in the middle of Belly of the Steel Beast. I'd rather have those tracks separated, as it seems we're getting

While I'm not fimilar with the Indiana Jones music, this cue that is being discussed right now might contain unused music on the Concord set.

where can I find that cool Nazi Theme statement when Vogel climbs out of the tank the first time and looks menacing at indy?

It seems to be tracked

I'm not sure where it would come from. One note about "On the Tank," though: on the boot, it started off with that statement of the Raiders March, which apparently was recorded with that to be tacked onto the front of "Belly of the Steel Beast." I would think that would be on there, also, and that would make it a four-part edit.

As far as "Indy and the Villagers" goes: I think "The Starving Village" is the least likely cue to be included. The track titles here are pretty on-the-nose, and the title most rings a bell for me with the scenes of him talking with them about the stones. I'm thinking the most likely situation is that the contents of that track would be "A Plea For Help/They Stole the Children/Fortune and Glory." If we're really lucky, then we might get "The Starving Village" tacked onto the front, but it would be just that. The other three cues are all meant to run together, and I think if they include one of them, they'll include them all.

On "Father and Son Reunited": I see no reason for "Don't Call Me Junior!" to not be on there. That would be pathetic. It would be a big build to nothing, and I just don't see them doing that on this release, which has pretty much nailed it so far.

Raiders March, which apparently was recorded with that to be tacked onto the front of "Belly of the Steel Beast."

Is that a fact? Because for all we could know, it could also be meant to come where it is now. If I'm not mistaken, in the film Indy appears out of the dust and puts the rock in the tank's barrel, so that might be underscored by the march quote? Just guess work here!

where can I find that cool Nazi Theme statement when Vogel climbs out of the tank the first time and looks menacing at indy?

It seems to be tracked

Judging by the boot, I'd say it was specifically recorded as an insert. Probably recorded at the same time as the alternate ending to "birds of charlimagne" that replaces the "keeping up with jones" statement with a wistful variation of the raiders march.

On a similar note, has anyone else noticed that when you listen very closely to the scene in Hatay (right before Elsa appears and says "Indiana jones and his father has escaped"), you can hear some source music that soulds like the motif from "Berlin air terminal". Instead of being played on trumpet, like it is when Hitler signs the diary (unused section of the cue), the theme is played on some sort of ethnic, sitar-sounding instrument. I've never heard this cue discussed before, but only recently noticed it when turning up the volume quite loudly on it DVD.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I can hear it.

Raiders March, which apparently was recorded with that to be tacked onto the front of "Belly of the Steel Beast."

Is that a fact? Because for all we could know, it could also be meant to come where it is now. If I'm not mistaken, in the film Indy appears out of the dust and puts the rock in the tank's barrel, so that might be underscored by the march quote? Just guess work here!

You might be right. We know that "Belly of the Steel Beast" and "Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" were were combined to create the complete tank chase we hear in the film. The raiders march fanfare could be the alternate openng from the the cut of the film that started with "Pen Is Mightier Than the Sword".

Man we know very much about this boxset and still there are soo many questions! Concord please give us more :P

By the way; I don't get why people even response to posts like "AOTC is s**t", if you don't agree....

just let him have his opinion, and think about him what you want.

The prequels/KOTCS can be praised - right

Prequels/KOTCS can be bashed - right.

everybody can tell his opinion, but then both are RIGHT. neither of one is wrong, because the judge upon their opinion.. well some express it in a neutral and some maybe in (what seems to be) a absolute over the top way emotional, but arguing about musical tastes, I can't say it often enough...because

THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM OF THIS MUSIC BOARD

dialogues like:

A"Indy 4 is a nice OST"

B "No it's not, you are WRONG!"

A "Well no you are wrong, it is fantastic, call me a reason why it isn't!"

B"It is s**t and if you like it you like s**t, and if you say something like that, you are stupid!"

now if someone says, AOTC is bad composed music, without knowing the technical background of it, he ACTUALLY is stupid! because badmouthes something he even doesn't understand. that is a pseudo intellectual post by that person in a very stubborn way.

if someone just tells his opinion, and does it in a provocative way, why even bother responding to it??

Ignore it, and you will lead a happier life.

Don't you remeber those bullies from school, just ignore them and they will stop humiliating you...

my opinion is that Joey has a very bad attitude, he is in a certain age where I thought people should be a little wiser with there words, but in the end it doesn't seem to be a rule that everyone has to follow

That can be a signature with some cleaning up ( and I am not just referring to the grammar...).

You are correct in that when I say AOTC is s#!% people should take it for the value it is, which is not much, unless they are of the same opinion, most of the really good JW fans are btw.

I suppose that disqualifies myself, Doug Adams and most or all of the FSM editorial board from being counted among the "really good" JW fans. On the other hand, Joe did say "most," so maybe he was thinking of us... :lol:

Just for the record, I rank AOTC in the lower tier of Star Wars scores -- at or near the bottom, in fact -- but I still think it's a very good score, and it holds up well alongside its fellows. KOTCS I also think is a terrific score, and holds up well. I can't put it on the same level as Raiders or TOD (which I consider roughly equal), but I think it's on par with TLC, which -- although I love it -- is, in my opinion, slightly overrated.

I think there are certainly moments of above average John Williams work, especially "Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale", but I think the problem with the score is that the film itself is so weak, can you imagine yourself being inspired to write a masterpiece for it? Maybe the reason it fails as a Star Wars score (I quite like it, but each to their own) is because Attack of the Clones can hardly be considered a Star Wars film, it is too far removed from what fans expect from something carrying the Star Wars brand (lo and behold, it was slightly bettered by Revenge of the Sith, only to be sullied again with The Clone Wars). We can't expect Williams not to notice what we notice when a film is bad, he would have known the movie lacked the spirit of the originals, he probably thought the same of Indy 4.

I like the score (I also like the film). It is a very solid effort by JW, some cues are great, but it is still the worst SW score.

MattyO, about your signature and avatar--are you a fellow trombonist?

I think there are certainly moments of above average John Williams work, especially "Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale", but I think the problem with the score is that the film itself is so weak, can you imagine yourself being inspired to write a masterpiece for it? Maybe the reason it fails as a Star Wars score (I quite like it, but each to their own) is because Attack of the Clones can hardly be considered a Star Wars film, it is too far removed from what fans expect from a Star Wars film. We can't expect Williams not to notice what we notice, he would have known the movie lacked the spirit of the originals, he probably thought the same of Indy 4.

I am going to receive some very negative replies, but, upon rewatching the films in chronological order, I do not think that "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" is a bad film.

EDIT: Is the trombone a fun instrument to play?

Yep, I am a trombonist, now in my tenth year of playing. I love it! I got a brand new 'bone last year and have since joined an orchestra. Sometimes there's a bit of waiting around to play, but usually the parts the trombones get are worth the wait.

I, myself, like AotC both film and score, I'm just trying to get my head around the haters' thinking. I do believe what I said about Williams noticing the quality of a film, I don't imagine any film he scores would be about the paycheck.

Yes!

Yep, I am a trombonist, now in my tenth year of playing. I love it! I got a brand new 'bone last year and have since joined an orchestra. Sometimes there's a bit of waiting around to play, but usually the parts the trombones get are worth the wait.

:lol:

It's a fantastic instrument. I myself have only been playing for about four years.

...I think the problem with the score is that the film itself is so weak, can you imagine yourself being inspired to write a masterpiece for it?

Jerry Goldsmith made a career out of it.

Can we talk about the Indiana Jones scores in this thread and not the prequels? And no smart ass comments about Temple of Doom being a prequel!

Neil

but Indysolo TOD took place before Raiders so it is a Prequel get used to it.

Yes!

:lol:

It's a fantastic instrument. I myself have only been playing for about four years.

Horn is better. :beerchug:

This set is so sweet. Man, you younger JW fans have no idea how cool this is to wait so long to get. Man, it isn't quite as exciting as in '93 when the Star Wars Anthology came out, and then again with SW:SE sets came out, but pretty close. The Superman: Blue Box was REALLY nice too, but the main win fall with that was Superman 4, which I always wanted, but absolutely LOVE now. Supes 2 & 3 were good, and Supes 1 was nice for the sound quality and extras, but the Rhino set had it covered before, so it took some of the greatness away from a masterpiece of a set (like the SW Anthology set took away from the initial greatness of the SW: SE sets).

I'm either going with these options:

1. If Wal-Mart has it on release day, or can order it, I'll get it same-day easy because there are two within a 10-minute drive from my house.

2. If Wal-Mart does not get them on release day, I'll have to drive 45-55 minutes to a mall and get them at a CD/DVD store like FYE, Best Buy, or equivalent.

3. Order via one of the online retailers.

I'll call ahead and see if options 1 and 2 are valid. If I am forced to go with option 3, what are the delay times with shipping on Amazon or SAE or any of the above. I want to get it on release day, which is why I won't order online unless it showed up on 11/11. What's your guys and gals experiences with shipping inside the states? Same day? Next day? More? No matter the price, I want it same day.

Guest macrea
I've been wondering about that myself. I assume it's tracked, but I can't find that Nazi theme rendition anywhere else in the score.

It's an insert, as is the little bit when Indy reacts to his bullet going through three Nazis. That's why it's not in the original cue.

You might be right. We know that "Belly of the Steel Beast" and "Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" were were combined to create the complete tank chase we hear in the film. The raiders march fanfare could be the alternate openng from the the cut of the film that started with "Pen Is Mightier Than the Sword".

Why is this track such a mystery? It's pretty obvious that the part that was not on the OST ("On the Tank" - or the stupidly titled "Pen Is Mightier than the Sword") is the first music originally meant to be heard in the scene. The Indy theme starts when he picks up the rock to shove it in the gun. The cue then ties to another cue, what we know as the second half of "Belly of the Steel Beast". Then it was decided that music needed to start earlier in the scene, so what we know as the first half of "Belly" was added, designed to tie into the original cue but with the elimination of the Indy "fanfare". That's what we hear in the film. When it came to putting the album together they simply combined the new opening with the original ending, leaving out the middle.

"On the Tank" was not "inserted" into "Belly of the Steel Beast," but rather a new beginning was added to start the music earlier.