Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

I you listen to DVD rips

Shaiman Story/Dying Child Returns/Fortune and Glory is one single cue in the film . It's my best guess as to what "Indy and the Villagers " is.

Well yes, but Indy's arrival to the village in the film is part of the 'Slalom on Mt Humol' cue, and that gets dialled out on the OST for some unknown reason. Nevermind, the DVD rip is clean as a whistle...

Though, yes, that's the best case scenario.

I think Raiders was cancelled because once we starts to realise that there's choped music, maybe some second thoughts would rise about buying the box-set...

Concord has decided to wait to release the individual releases until next year. They probably don't want anything interfering with the sales. This is old news about the individual release being canceled...

I think it's clear now that the Lego game got all its music from an advanced copy of this set though (at least for Temple, anyhow). It's interesting that the Lego game has an alternate which features the first use of the Sankara theme, which should be a part of 'Indy and the Villagers'. Who knows what else might be in that cue.

well if on the master tapes the cue actually runs longer,maybe we'll have the extra portion on this set too

If it's 6 minutes long it means the 3 cues I mentioned are combined as they should. If it's longer it could be alternate portions inserted or the Arrival in the Village

My guess is that it starts the same way it starts in the film, after the first mention of Indy going to Pankot. That, until the fanfare which ends 'Fortune and Glory'. That can't be more than a few minutes...

Murphy is credited as the engineer. That's obviously who is preparing the Indiana Jones set

noooooooo.jpg

One of these days I'm going to beat you to using that. One of these days...

And I share the sentiment.

In TOD and LC case, we were fortunate that the original albums have no stupid edits in any of the tracks. Not the same with Raiders.

Actually, two tracks on TOD are edited. "Fast Streets of Shanghai" is missing a short section (fairly clean on the DVD-rip), and of course the "Finale and End Credits" has a terrible, harsh edit (this will be rectified on Disc 5 of the new set, presumably).

"fairly clean DVD rips" are going nowhere near this new set though

and the "Temple of Doom" track ( ceremony music )...I never listen to it..so they can cut it down as much as they want.

In TOD and LC case, we were fortunate that the original albums have no stupid edits in any of the tracks. Not the same with Raiders.

Actually, two tracks on TOD are edited. "Fast Streets of Shanghai" is missing a short section (fairly clean on the DVD-rip), and of course the "Finale and End Credits" has a terrible, harsh edit (this will be rectified on Disc 5 of the new set, presumably).

You're right... I forgot those. But "Finale" from TOD is aparently rectified on the 5th disc.

But, judging from the Raiders leaked version, "Fast Streets" won't be complete as it is in the film...

There isn't much that can't be cleanly ripped from the DVDs that we're not getting on this set. I'm happy as larry about this all, and will happily fork out the now $100AU+ for it (thanks alot, economy.. it was $40 less a month ago).

I would buy this set for 'Stealing the Stones' and 'Wrong Chalice' alone.

yeah,it has to do with the sales and marketing I'm sure

Like maybe they discovered that all the preorders were for the box set and hardly any for Raiders alone, so they canceled that and are simply going to use whatever copies of Raiders are already packaged for the box sets instead.

Scouring through all the tracks from the Lego game, I'm convinced that everything we're getting from Temple is everything we want. Guaranteed 'Stealing the Stones', 'Underground Chaos', 'Saving Willie', 'Apologising to Shorty', 'Water!', 'Finale (Film Version)', 'The Bridge', 'Map & Fuel Dump', etc. Even more excitingly, there's a lot of new music in these cues, indicating that the film is a little cut up (as all the Indy films tend to be... even the fourth, look at Jungle Chase, and even the micro-edits in 'Spell of the Skull'). Hearing uncut recordings of 'Saving Willie' and 'Underground Chaos' means we're not just getting unreleased music, we're getting music that none of us have even heard before. Damn, it's a good year to be a fan of John Williams.

Like maybe they discovered that all the preorders were for the box set and hardly any for Raiders alone, so they canceled that and are simply going to use whatever copies of Raiders are already packaged for the box sets instead.

None of the c.d.'s from the 1994 Star Wars Anthology were sold separately. I'm not sure why Raiders ever was the exception here.

I understand why some people who don't have the old soundtrack releases would be turned off by tracks being incomplete on these new versions.

Well, yeah, it's like if some new company planned to re-release Poltergeist in "expanded" form, but decided to only include the incomplete original album edits of "Twisted Abduction" and "Escape from Suburbia".

None of the c.d.'s from the 1994 Star Wars Anthology were sold separately. I'm not sure why Raiders ever was the exception here.

Probably just a way to get a bit more money.

Which I am 100% okay with, since we're getting these (most likely) great releases.

As far as I know, Murphy wasn't involved in the great-sounding CE3K and E.T. (we're talking about the 96 release here, not the muddy-sounding 2nd expansion that came out in the DVD era).

The 96 ET was superior???

Ugh nwo i gotta hunt that down. i had it once in a JW lot i won off ebay but i assumed the subsequent reissue was superior...

Putting Raiders back out on the market probably seemed like a good idea, and it would be if this were the 90's and Tower and Virgin was the focus of music sales, but the preorders in what is now a net-driven industry probably told a different story, so now they're doing what they should have done in the first place.

I re-watched Temple of Doom last night and I am thrilled to see so many of the unreleased cues now being released. That movie is just about non-stop music from beginning to end and to find out we're getting almost all of it on album, at last, it is a friggin miracle. I say we forget about Raiders and look forward to Doom and Crusade.

Well we're getting 75 mins on the Temple disc, and an extra ~15 mins on the bonus disc. So 90 minutes out of about 110 ain't bad.

Hey Matty, you still ordering from SAE, now that the AUD has been mauled against the USD? I wonder if it'll end up in retail shops here, like JB or something.

"Washington Men" rulez!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it does. This really jumped out at me.

As for Bouzerau's other albums, they were all timed with something else associated with the movie. The 1996 ET album came out around the same time as the laser disc re-issue. Was there a VHS re-issue then? Close Encounters came out in 1998 when the "Collector's Edition" was coming out on video tape and laser disc (it took until 2001 for this movie to appear on DVD). The Jaws album came out in 2000, the same day as the 25th anniversary DVD. And of course the 2002 ET album came out with the re-edited movie. And now with Indy mania entering it's twilight weeks, the box is coming out. I just wish I knew why it wasn't coming out the same day as the DVD set.

Neil

who is Laurent Bouzereau ? What's his relationship with Williams ? Is he a score expert or he just produces these releases with not too much attention to fine details (wrong takes,alternates on E.T.)?

I mean no one here would pick the wrong take of E.T. is Dying...twice

who is Laurent Bouzereau ? What's his relationship with Williams ? Is he a score expert or he just produces these releases with not too much attention to fine details (wrong takes,alternates on E.T.)?

OK so turns out the first time I answered this I was partly wrong. He's a well known home video documentary film maker who often works with Spielberg on his DVDs. I thought he was also the guy responsible for the big Ridley Scott discs but I was wrong.

Hey Matty, you still ordering from SAE, now that the AUD has been mauled against the USD? I wonder if it'll end up in retail shops here, like JB or something.

I already ordered about a week before the Australian dollar plummeted, which was lucky. I am, however, going to call JB on Monday to see if they will be getting it in. If they are and if it's close to the November 11 release date AND depending on the price of the set, I will cancel my order with SAE (hopefully the dollar goes up again, as I also want to purchase the Quantum of Solace soundtrack from the States on 28 October). Australian stores have a habit of jacking up the prices of boxed sets, in my experience anyway.

I paid $56 American dollars for the set, $42 for the set and $15 international postage. Two weeks ago that was $75 Australian dollars, I'm not sure how much that will be now (the dollar was at 0.75USD when I ordered and paid). Someone said it costs over 100 now. I'm not sure if its worth asking JB HiFi to see if they will be stocking it?

He's probably one of the hottest and most in-demand DVD producer/documentarian of the film industry. He worked mainly at Universal, where he produced all the extra features for the Hitchcock Collection and several De Palma titles. He became the preferred guy for Steven Spielberg as well and produced all the extra features for home video editions of Spielberg titles since the days of the LaserDisc. This relationship led him to produce and supervise the expanded sountrack albums of E.T., CE3K and Jaws. He also interviewed the Maestro for many DVD extra features. He's known to be quite a fan of John Williams and there was a rumor some years ago that he was preparing a full biography of the Maestro, even though the news was never confirmed.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0100522/bio

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_report...t_bouzereau.htm

In all three cases, Murphy is credited as the engineer.

I didn't believe it, but you are correct. Makes the difference between the 2 E.T. releases just more fascinating.

The 96 ET was superior???

Ugh nwo i gotta hunt that down. i had it once in a JW lot i won off ebay but i assumed the subsequent reissue was superior...

The latest release has a few additional tracks, but the 96 version has much better sound. The Anniversary release was done around the time when Murphy hit an all-time low recording A.I.. Luckily, he seems to have mostly recovered again these days.

who is Laurent Bouzereau ? What's his relationship with Williams ?

Spielberg donates 100,000 dollars to back gay marriage

"Washington Men" rulez!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it does. This really jumped out at me.

As for Bouzerau's other albums, they were all timed with something else associated with the movie. The 1996 ET album came out around the same time as the laser disc re-issue. Was there a VHS re-issue then? Close Encounters came out in 1998 when the "Collector's Edition" was coming out on video tape and laser disc (it took until 2001 for this movie to appear on DVD). The Jaws album came out in 2000, the same day as the 25th anniversary DVD. And of course the 2002 ET album came out with the re-edited movie. And now with Indy mania entering it's twilight weeks, the box is coming out. I just wish I knew why it wasn't coming out the same day as the DVD set.

Neil

Maybe when the DVD was released in 2003, George Lucas already knew for certain that a 4th film was coming out, so he held these soundtracks because he felt it would benefit the earnings from 4th film, since he assumed that the 2003 DVD was going to big in sales, but not so sure if the 4th film would be the same.

And I still think Concord postponed Raiders because they want no bad-mouthing words about would come in the box set before it's actually released...

With Neil's post...maybe next year or when ever Lucasfilm releases the Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray we'll finally get a 12 CD box set of the Star Wars Saga scores or at least 2-CD sets for AOTC and ROTS.

With Neil's post...maybe next year or when ever Lucasfilm releases the Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray we'll finally get a 12 CD box set of the Star Wars Saga scores or at least 2-CD sets for AOTC and ROTS.

Anyone remember when Lucas said he'd never release Star Wars on DVD? And now we have multiple versions and it's bound t come out on Blu-Ray?

Which reminds me, I have a question about how Blu-Ray works. Does the improved quality only work on new films that were shot in digital? Meaning, would the original Star Wars movies have any noticeable improved sound or video? Or any older movie for that matter?

I think it's proven even older films can look great in high def. I've seen screen caps of the Original Trilogy and even Back To The Future of the high def versions and they look great. Blu-Ray is high def so it improves both sound and picture.

To my knowledge, anything shot on 35mm film should look better than the DVD. Film has no resolution, so I think when converting it to digital pixels, it's all about how much you can 'blow up' the picture before it starts looking fuzzy.

I don't get Lucas at all - he keeps doing CG fiddling to his movies and using the latest technology, but when it comes to releasing his movies with the best possible picture and audio quality, it's like you've asked him to find the grail. I also heard the first Indy DVD set didn't come with DTS because Lucas 'doesn't care for it'. Thanks for making our decisions for us you twat.

And now with Indy mania entering it's twilight weeks, the box is coming out. I just wish I knew why it wasn't coming out the same day as the DVD set.

Maybe when the DVD was released in 2003, George Lucas already knew for certain that a 4th film was coming out, so he held these soundtracks because he felt it would benefit the earnings from 4th film, since he assumed that the 2003 DVD was going to big in sales, but not so sure if the 4th film would be the same.

I wasn't referring to the older set, I meant what's coming out this Tuesday. Between the separate KOCS releases and the DVD box of all four Indiana Jones movies there's a lot of Indy videos coming out and it seems odd that a few weeks later the CDs will be out.

Neil

To my knowledge, anything shot on 35mm film should look better than the DVD. Film has no resolution, so I think when converting it to digital pixels, it's all about how much you can 'blow up' the picture before it starts looking fuzzy.

Not a resolution per se, but a grain content. UHD (Ultra High Definition) has a resolution so high, it apparently exceeds that of 35mm film in terms of granularity and ISO film speed.

The latest release has a few additional tracks, but the 96 version has much better sound. The Anniversary release was done around the time when Murphy hit an all-time low recording A.I.. Luckily, he seems to have mostly recovered again these days.

Does anyone else agree with this?

The 1996 ET album came out around the same time as the laser disc re-issue. Was there a VHS re-issue then?

"Around the same time?" How about the CD was actually included IN the laserdisc set!