Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

So just because Raiders was supposedly leaked early we're going to assume the entire box set has terrible sound?

And truthfully the DCC Raiders always sounded a little thin to me.

As is "Basket Game."

From what I've read and just from listening... it seems like the original album (pitch problems notwithstanding) and the new Concord release have very good sound mixes, while the DCC far exceeds them in quality but gets a few things unbalanced (weak bass, weak choir).

Hi All!

I'm new here, so be nice to me. :D

I'm greatly looking forward to this Indiana Jones box set. However, there are a few things that are worrying me (mainly to do with the TOD music). :)

I'm a little confused because a lot of the cues in the film seague into one another, and yet on the albums, they're listed as seperate tracks. I'm talking about cues such as "Saving Willie", "Slave Children's Crusade" and "Short Round Helps" etc. Does anyone know what the story is here?

Thanks! :P

Hi All!

I'm greatly looking forward to this Indiana Jones box set. However, there are a few things that are worrying me (mainly to do with the TOD music). :)

I'm a little confused because a lot of the cues in the film seague into one another, and yet on the albums, they're listed as seperate tracks. I'm talking about cues such as "Saving Willie", "Slave Children's Crusade" and "Short Round Helps" etc. Does anyone know what the story is here?

It hasn't leaked yet, so no, we have no idea. We'll all find out together on Nov 11 if the tracks are separated by clean endings / openings with silence in between, or if they flow into one another (like the Star Trek:TMP & Tomorrow Never Dies re-releases, or any live concert album). Even if they are separated on the CDs though, its easy enough to combine them with a WAV editor

It hasn't leaked yet, so no, we have no idea. We'll all find out together on Nov 11 if the tracks are separated by clean endings / openings with silence in between, or if they flow into one another (like a the Star Trek:TMP & Tomorrow Never Dies re-releases). Even if they are separated on the CDs though, its easy enough to combine them with a WAV editor

Ok, thanks! I'm not actually bothered either way because even if they do flow into one another they're easy enough to join. :P

I can't wait!!! The suspense is killing me!!!!! :)

Hi All!

I'm new here, so be nice to me. :P

In the film, the music might run all together but it is usually not recorded that way. Williams and other composers will usually write shorter cues, knowing that in the finished film they will lead directly into the next one. The Battle of Hoth from Empire Strikes Back is a good example. Album presentations tend to preserve the cues as written and recorded, not as heard in the film.

Nice to meet you, by the way!

I got a wonderful $25 gift certificate from Amazon, so I'll be paying a little over $20 for this set. I think that's worth it.

Same here, good old Amazon credit card.

I got a wonderful $25 gift certificate from Amazon, so I'll be paying a little over $20 for this set. I think that's worth it.

Same here, good old Amazon credit card.

:)

Neil

In the film, the music might run all together but it is usually not recorded that way. Williams and other composers will usually write shorter cues, knowing that in the finished film they will lead directly into the next one. The Battle of Hoth from Empire Strikes Back is a good example. Album presentations tend to preserve the cues as written and recorded, not as heard in the film.

Nice to meet you, by the way!

Thank you, nice to meet you too! :D

Yes I certainly understand what you say about the shorter cues. A normal movie-watcher wouldn't notice, but I'm always listening for it now! :)

Pirates Of The Caribbean is the same. :P

Hi All!

Judging by the Raiders release, most of the cues will be separated.

There are no cues that are separated on the new Raiders disc but flow into each other in the actual movie.

In fact, the only cues that flow into each other in the movie are the 3 cues that comprise The Desert Chase, and the two pieces of The Well Of The Souls (which Concord couldn't combine because they are on different discs).

Interesting. Let's just hope that all the bits we all want are on there! :P

By the way, how do people know that The Desert Chase is edited? And edited in what way? Is it shorter? Better not be! :D

I think I already have the full version on my Silva Screen album. It's track number 13, is 8:15 in length and contains previously unreleased material apparantly. I presume this is the full cue? :)

Yes sorry, it also says 'DCC Compact Classics' on it.

I'm pretty sure The Desert Chase included on the disc is the full cue. It starts straight after Indy says "Truck, what truck?!" and finishes as he arrives at Omahs.

I'm pretty sure The Desert Chase included on the disc is the full cue. It starts straight after Indy says "Truck, what truck?!" and finishes as he arrives at Omahs.

The OST and new release also start and end with those same notes ;)

By the way, how do people know that The Desert Chase is edited? And edited in what way? Is it shorter? Better not be! :)

The Original SoundTrack of Raiders issued in Raiders featured The Desert Chase track, but cut down to 7:41 in length by removing several small sections of the music. For the 1995 DCC/Silva release, they presented the complete 8:15 cue, but on the new Concord disc it's back to the old 7:41 version for reasons unknown (at least, the disc that leaked was; It's possible the final version could be different).

They will be short versions.

Thay want to release the OST + more tracks, and then they can release complete scores and people will still buy them, and this box set will have a use with there alternate edits.

Like the anthology, where SW main title was followed by the end credits (faking the concert version) as in the OST( i think) and the set is still worth because of the ROTJ source cues and alternates, like shorter ESB finale.

By the way, how do people know that The Desert Chase is edited? And edited in what way? Is it shorter? Better not be! :angry:

The Original SoundTrack of Raiders issued in Raiders featured The Desert Chase track, but cut down to 7:41 in length by removing several small sections of the music. For the 1995 DCC/Silva release, they presented the complete 8:15 cue, but on the new Concord disc it's back to the old 7:41 version for reasons unknown (at least, the disc that leaked was; It's possible the final version could be different).

Oh dear. That would be a great pity if it was released in the shorter length. A missed opportunity you might say. :)

If it is released short, at least the full cue is (or was) available.

This is their chance to nail the Indy series once and for all. They should just do it properly, and give us every piece of music from every film! :lol:

This is their chance to nail the Indy series once and for all. They should just do it properly, and give us every piece of music from every film! :)

Wait few more years and you will have it.

This is just the demo.

They will be short versions.

Well, it's funny thought because even though "Desert Chase" and "Basket Game" are back to their old OST versions, they still split up "The Well Of Souls" and "Marion's Theme" properly into two different tracks each, and each newly broken cue is complete with all the music missing from the OST... so the Concord Raiders disc is sort of a hybrid of both ideologies.

Of course, since there is no "*" or "**" next to "X Marks The Spot" on Indy3 or "Fast Streets Of Shanghai" on Indy2, it seems like those will contain the old OST edits as well..... thank god they are giving us the full Indy2 finale on disc 5 though...

This is their chance to nail the Indy series once and for all. They should just do it properly, and give us every piece of music from every film! :)

Nah, someday we'll get 2CD complete versions of each score. Probably in another 15-20 years.

Hmmm, I wonder what's more likely: Complete 2CD versions of the SW Prequels, HP1-3, or Indy1-3? :angry:

Hmmm well, it all seems a bit of a botched campaign to me.

And I reckon Star Wars Prequels will get the releases because they seem to be favoured over the Indy or Harry Potter scores for some reason!

Let's not jump to conclusions from a leaked version. We don't know if it came from the official CD. In fact, we don't even know where the hell it came from. November 11th will be the Judgment Day!

Fast Streets Of Shanghai will probably be the OST edit

Surely the music leading up to this cue "The Nightclub Brawl"(?) will include all the music right up until Indy goes out of the window, and the following track "Map/Out Of Fuel"(?) should continue where FSOS ends? I hope so.

Thank god we're getting the full finale from Indy 2

I really do hope so. Although I don't see where this track will end and the following track (end credits?) will start, given that all the music appears to be in one piece??? :)

Let's not jump to conclusions from a leaked version. We don't know if it came from the official CD. In fact, we don't even know where the hell it came from. November 11th will be the Judgment Day!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'm a great worrier though! :angry:

I examined all tracks from the leaked version with Adobe Audition.

Except for the 3 unreleased tracks, all are "visually" the same as the DCC edition (frequencies cut above 20 kHz and a very low 16 kHz tone), but are lower in volume and more powerfull in bass.

Now, the 3 unreleased tracks are equally powerfull in bass (I didn't compare the volume levels based on the bootleg for obvious reasons), but they also have full frequency range (all the way up to 22,05 kHz).

On the SoundtrackCollector.com page, the track "Uncovering the Ark" on Disc 5 is labeled as "Includes previously unreleased material" (while all the others except the "Raiders March" are labeled as "Previously Unreleased").

Now, we know that the second part of the "Well of the Souls" track on the DCC 2-LP contained both "The Discovery of the Ark" and "Marion Into the Pit". Now, could it be that "Through the Wall" has been included into this track for this release?

On the SoundtrackCollector.com page, the track "Uncovering the Ark" on Disc 5 is labeled as "Includes previously unreleased material" (while all the others except the "Raiders March" are labeled as "Previously Unreleased").

Now, we know that the second part of the "Well of the Souls" track on the DCC 2-LP contained both "The Discovery of the Ark" and "Marion Into the Pit". Now, could it be that "Through the Wall" has been included into this track for this release?

"Through the Wall" is actually an alternate "Indy Rides the Statue", as noted before. All other sites lists "Uncovering the Ark" as "previously unreleased on CD" only...

Surely the music leading up to this cue "The Nightclub Brawl"(?) will include all the music right up until Indy goes out of the window, and the following track "Map/Out Of Fuel"(?) should continue where FSOS ends? I hope so.

Right, but WITHIN Fast Streets Of Shanghai, there are a few bars that are heard in the film but were edited out of the OST version

Actually, that's incorrect. The 2 stars for disc 5 means "Previously unreleased on CD", not "Includes previously unreleased music". That track was previously released on LP in 1995.

Since I would have picked the 3 unreleased KotCS cues we got from the DVD over anything they left off this set from ToD and Crusade ,I'd say we got REALLY lucky with the DVD because there is usually never unreleased music (except a section of The Boys Continue on RotS)

Guest seventiesfilmnut

How do we know the leaked edition of Raiders is indeed the FINAL release? It could have just been a test (for track running times or sequencing) that did indeed use some tracks from the DCC edition for testing purposes. I'm pretty sure the sound quality on this leak is only a work in progress - it's pretty quietly mastered and sounds a bit 'vague', I'm sure the official release will be far better. Also the leak-er (that sounds vaguely disgusting - ahem!!) may have transferred these files from a 2nd gen source - we just don't know the background, so I think it's a bit premature to start criticising the Raiders release yet...

Anyone know where the leak came from perchance?

- John

Anyone know where the leak came from perchance?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Information

Title................: Indiana Jones: The Complete Soundtracks Collection

Release Date.........: November 11th, 2008

Post Date............: September 28th, 2008 - Unreleased Yet!

Audio Format.........: Lossless

Ripper...............: Exact Audio Copy

Encoder..............: FLAC Lossess

Hz...................: 44,100

Channels.............: Stereo

Source...............: CD

Yes, Unreleased! Ripped for your Pleasure!

Raiders of the Lost Soundtracks- brings you the complete Raiders of the Lost Ark Soundtrack - Expanded Edition.

Post Information

Posted by............: The Courier (Ya! Right!!)

Posted to............: Where you are reading it

News Server..........: The one you got it off

Posted on............: 2008-09-28

Parts per Day........: All

Repost Policy........: None

Supplier.............: L.ord B.ritten

Actually, that's incorrect. The 2 stars for disc 5 means "Previously unreleased on CD", not "Includes previously unreleased music". That track was previously released on LP in 1995.

I know it has been previously released on LP. I suspected that the ** stood for "Previously Unreleased on CD", but for a moment I hoped for a little unexpected surprise. Well, not that I'm complaining... I think we're being lucky enough with all the unreleased stuff that is coming.

Since I would have picked the 3 unreleased KotCS cues we got from the DVD over anything they left off this set from ToD and Crusade ,I'd say we got REALLY lucky with the DVD because there is usually never unreleased music (except a section of The Boys Continue on RotS)

In more ways than that even. I've never seen a release before where the music is so loudly and clearly mixed in the rear channels. Most other DVDs I've seen are either just the echoes of the music, or are missing parts of the orchestra.

Also makes me wonder why they put stuff like pre-vis demos on DVDs. It's not like these are marketed towards film-making buffs is it?

So what's being said? Does the KOTCS DVD have music featured prominently in such a way that it's relatively easy to make a quality extended soundtrack?

If so, maybe I should rethink my stance on not waiting to buy the DVD, as I could use a good editing project.

I'm not going to read this entire damn thread to see if these are already linked here, but the following official Concord audio preview streams might be of some interest:

Indiana Jones Soundtrack Audio Streams (two links each; the .qtl ones seem to be working):

“Washington Ending Raiders March” ( .asx ) ( .qtl )

“Keeping Up With The Joneses” ( .asx ) ( .qtl )

"The Adventures of Mutt"

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/audio/qtl...res_of_Mutt.qtl

Indiana Jones Trilogy Music Video (YouTube)

(YouTube)

Album art, photos, and press release

I'm not going to read this entire damn thread to see if these are already linked here, but the following official Concord audio preview streams might be of some interest:

Indiana Jones Soundtrack Audio Streams (two links each; the .qtl ones seem to be working):

"Washington Ending Raiders March" ( .asx ) ( .qtl )

"Keeping Up With The Joneses" ( .asx ) ( .qtl )

"The Adventures of Mutt"

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/audio/qtl...res_of_Mutt.qtl

Indiana Jones Trilogy Music Video (YouTube)

(YouTube)

Album art, photos, and press release

Great news everyone! "The Washington Ending / Raiders March" track is different than the leaked version!!

On the leak, "Washing Ending" plays in full and then is immediately followed by the Raiders March.... in the QTL version posted above, the two tracks are blended into each other very similarly to the way they are in the movie. Both versions have the coda, which is unfortunate (I prefer having the coda on the short Raiders March, and the End Credits to not have the coda).

Anyway, hopefully this means the bass problems and missing music will be fixed on the final version!

I tried playing around with URLs to find other sound clips but haven't been able to find any yet...

Great news everyone! "The Washington Ending / Raiders March" track is different than the leaked version!!

So then what was leaked was then a testing disc like people have speculated?

Very good news. I guess the 'leaked' version must've been put together from different sources, or at someone suggested, some sort of 'work in progress' copy.

I can't play either file though. The .qtl opens in Media Player Classic but has no sound, and the .asx files just don't do anything.