That God-awful moment in "Brother And Sister"

jasonblueeyes

You know the one I mean. That part where it sounds like that channel just comes alive ALL OF A SUDDEN. That Jarring moment that completely takes you out of the flow of the music. It's on the Anthology and on the Special Editions.

Such a beautiful swirling cue - that needs to be corrected.

Who else hates it?

(I'm sure this had to have been discussed before. Sorry if it has.)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know the one I mean. That part where it sounds like that channel just comes alive ALL OF A SUDDEN. That Jarring moment that completely takes you out of the flow of the music. It's on the Anthology and on the Special Editions.

Such a beautiful swirling cue - that needs to be corrected.

Who else hates it?

(I'm sure this had to have been discussed before. Sorry if it has.)

Can you pinpoint where exactly it happens? It may just be a bad edit...

I figured the only reason it sounded that bad was that it was the best it could be made to sound.

And, Jason, no fair stumping me with the Zevon lyric. How dumb did that make me feel? Last year I considered naming my fantasy football team the Fistfulls of Rain; I went with Porcelain Monkeys instead.

It's like that bass bleat in "The Flying Sequence" from Superman.

Ironically, I just heard that error for the first time five minutes before I came here. I was even going to post about it, too.

The error in "Brother and Sister" is a hell of a lot more annoying than the flub in "The Flying Sequence". I can live with the flub in "The Flying Sequence" cue but not deliberate error in "Brother and Sister".

Neither are errors. They may not be total perfection, but they're not errors. I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with "The Flying Sequence". For "Brother and Sister" its a hard tape edit presumably between takes. It's a limit of the technology. With digital editing today it could probably be smoother but Wannberg didn't have access to that then. Just like the disappearing cymbal in "The Imperial March".

Neil

Why does everyone believe that bass note is an error?

Neil

It may be the right note at the right time, but the intonation is bizarre. It completely stands out. Perhaps it sounded like that, for whatever reason, on every take.

Neither are errors. They may not be total perfection, but they're not errors. I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with "The Flying Sequence". For "Brother and Sister" its a hard tape edit presumably between takes. It's a limit of the technology. With digital editing today it could probably be smoother but Wannberg didn't have access to that then. Just like the disappearing cymbal in "The Imperial March".

Neil

Hmm, if that's true for "Brother and Sister" then it's only another reason why ROTJ deserves a proper remastered release then.

Neil

Hmm, if that's true for "Brother and Sister" then it's only another reason why ROTJ deserves a proper remastered release then.

Unless of course all you have available are Wannberg's assembled takes.

Neil

And according to some accounts parts of Jedi are degraded or lost forever.

are these the same accounts that stated that the TOD mastertapes were lost or destroyed?

Ford A. Thaxton claimed a few years ago that after the release of the ROTJ SE a better sounding source was found. Though I cannot recall the details.

I think they have abetter source, that would explain the far superior sound on the "Musical Journey" dvd for light of the force.

Mike Matessino has no luck, he an work on Superman and Star WArs and days later, after he has finished his work, better sources are found

But with Superman he had a chance to revisit this and pull of a perfect job... maybe with Star Wars who knows..

And according to some accounts parts of Jedi are degraded or lost forever.

are these the same accounts that stated that the TOD mastertapes were lost or destroyed?

Ford A. Thaxton claimed a few years ago that after the release of the ROTJ SE a better sounding source was found. Though I cannot recall the details.

If I remember correctly, the source tapes for Return of the Jedi were degraded, which is why the sound quality on the release was so bad. But if better sources were discovered, never mind.

I've heard many times that the full concert recording of "Jabba the Hutt" is lost. And the master tapes for the unreleased Jabba's barge source music are gone - they were loaned to the creator of the Dark Forces audio drama and lost (or it may have been the Return of the Jedi audio drama).

I don't worry too much about the concert recordings, between the Gerhardt recordings, Williams own later recordings and various others, I never actually seek out the concert pieces on the OSTs.

And the master tapes for the unreleased Jabba's barge source music are gone - they were loaned to the creator of the Dark Forces audio drama and lost (or it may have been the Return of the Jedi audio drama).

From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga is the special where those cues were last heard. I'd like to have those and the film version of "Lapti Nek".

Neil

Why does everyone believe that bass note is an error?

Neil

OK, so it's a deliberate creative decission.

You should know better about what that means :lol:

This ROTJ thingy has bugged me also. It sounds as if your CD was faulty.

And the master tapes for the unreleased Jabba's barge source music are gone - they were loaned to the creator of the Dark Forces audio drama and lost (or it may have been the Return of the Jedi audio drama).

From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga is the special where those cues were last heard. I'd like to have those and the film version of "Lapti Nek".

Neil

I know I've read something about that source music being used (and subsequently lost) in a radio drama. I actually have both Jedi and Dark Forces, by some amazing coincidence, so I'll check if it's in there the next time I'm home.

Neil

I know I've read something about that source music being used (and subsequently lost) in a radio drama. I actually have both Jedi and Dark Forces, by some amazing coincidence, so I'll check if it's in there the next time I'm home.

I think Neil's is correct. The tapes were lend to the people who made that doccumentary and were lost.

Regarding The Flying Sequence, I too do not understand why everyone obsesses over it. Have any of you ever heard of an electric bass guitar? Have you ever heard someone "slap" it? My brother has played bass for about 25 years, and he could bust out the funk when needed, so I know a slap. Anyways, perhaps the real flub is that they believed there was a need for "funk" during The Flying Sequence!

But, come to think of it, Superman was trying to bust a move...

Could someone point me in the direction of this supposed flub in The Flying Sequence? Timing please? I know about the one on Brother and Sister and it has never really bothered me to be honest.....