How does one use the "Record" button on a "Twin Disc/ Cassette Boombox" (manufactured 1999)?

Nick Parker

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As did I.

Whew! And I thought I was the only one.

Before doing that, I used to set the old tape recorder by the tv speaker! It was always a real nuisance making sure that everyone was gone so there wouldn't be any noise. :P

As did I.

Whew! And I thought I was the only one.

Before doing that, I used to set the old tape recorder by the tv speaker! It was always a real nuisance making sure that everyone was gone so there wouldn't be any noise. :)

My first recordings of The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, The Plainsman and others were done off the TV, using the headphones from my personal stereo as a microphone (because, erm, I didn't have a microphone). There were usually several abortive attempts when the cat started scratching at the door or meowing, so that everything ended up sounding like Land of the Giants. Ah, those days were like an endless summer. One of my brothers used to refer to this mediaeval process as "Escape Tapes", because one of the first things I tried recording was the opening of Jerry Goldsmith's Escape from the Planet of the Apes.

Stop laughing at me! :(

Ghostbusters, Gremlins 2 and The Lord of the Rings for me. Ironically, it was only a few years later that I realised there actually was something like "film music". Before, I must have been under the impression that this was just music in films, not music *for* films.

Sad thing is, you can't find good boomboxes anymore. I have a Sony boombox from 1993, still works and still pretty powerful. It's completely wrapped in electrical tape, but until I find it's equal, I'm not getting rid of it.

I did the tape recorder thing to the TV also

I remember I taped the End Title to The Star Wars Holiday Special, that was my first recording of the Star Wars Theme...it was a pretty cool one too .I also taped the end of a E.T. TV special with Robin Williams.

Also:

Gloria from Monsignor

Barrel chase from Jaws

The Enterprise from STTMP

Superman 2 End Credits

Regarding my taping from tv days, I recall recording the opening to Raiders, and listening to it so often that the jungle sounds became forever embedded with the music, in my mind. Even now, I am unable to listen to that track from the DCC release without hearing those sounds. The same thing goes for the Imperial Shuttle as it shoots out from the underside of the Star Destroyer at the opening of RotJ. Every time I listen to the opening credits, I swear I can hear that sound, along with the TIE fighters.

Because I didn't get a CD boombox until several years later, in 1996, I used a desktop stereo to edit the sequence of the 1993 Star Wars Anthology into correct order, so that nearly all of the tracks on disc 4 would fall into chronological placement in the other 3 movies, all on 90 or 120 minute cassette tapes. I felt pretty proud of myself for doing so, too.

Well, when I was your age, that's the way them things worked. Of course, when I was your age I had access to an 8-track player. And there was talk about this lady who "accidentally" pressed a record button when transcribing a tape and magically zapped 18 minutes of stuff without realizing it at the time...

I remember listening to cassette tapes which weren't copy protected, which had been played in stereos with record buttons where somebody had accidentally pressed record at one point or another and taped silence during the middle of a song. I would listen to that song so many times that I just became used to that anomaly in the track. So often, in fact, that it's damaged my perception of that song to the point where even if I listen to that song on CD or as an MP3 ripped from CD, I still subconsciously cringe and prepare for the sound glitch that just isn't there anymore.

Just thought I'd share that.

I remember listening to cassette tapes which weren't copy protected, which had been played in stereos with record buttons where somebody had accidentally pressed record at one point or another and taped silence during the middle of a song. I would listen to that song so many times that I just became used to that anomaly in the track. So often, in fact, that it's damaged my perception of that song to the point where even if I listen to that song on CD or as an MP3 ripped from CD, I still subconsciously cringe and prepare for the sound glitch that just isn't there anymore.

Just thought I'd share that.

Okay, you're killing me, what is the song?!

P.S.-- I did the same thing with my Anthology cds back in the early '90s, putting them in chronological order.