Intrada's Sept. 23rd Release, Something Special?

Ollie

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2044

No clues will be given and it's a 5000 copy unit, also it's a holy grail that has been on many people's lists.

Could Back To The Future finally be released or perhaps Spartacus?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, I shall keep an eye on this one. The 23rd, eh? Well that's a week or so before I get paid. Depending on what it is, if it is Back To The Future I will be sure to buy a copy of it through Movie Music.

Actually I think it's going to be a Silver Age score, probably in the 1970 to 1990 range. They're doing 5000 so that probably means the film or score was a big one. So unless Intrada managed to crack Paramount's vaults or got a good Goldsmith score (Boys From Brazil, Gremlins or Innerspace), I'm gonna go with BTTF.

Some, including myself, believe that Varese will be the one to release Spartacus. Perhaps for Robert Townson's 1000 CD that is coming up early in 2009.

Family Plot 5000 units? Monsignor (3000 units) hasn't sold out yet, what makes you think Family Plot would deserve the biggest limited release in Intrada's history?

Maybe some people were happy with their LP rip?

Family Plot has never seen any real release except for the recent boot and is always on holy grail lists

I think Family Plot has rightfully earned it's place as a Holy Grail. It's always been mentionned because it has some great music and one of the few post 1975 unreleased JW score.

I mean some people are starting to add "Link" in Holy Grail lists just because it's a rare Goldsmith album even if it totally sucks .

Well,it's been mentionned for a long time. in the 98 Williams Buying Guide from FSM is refered to as something that must be released one day. I always remember wanting it.

Well according to this FSM poll, it's the most wanted Hitchcock soundtrack that has yet to be released (it even beat out Psycho).

And according to this FSM poll, it is the second most wanted unreleased JW score (it beat out both Images and Monsignor).

See this is what I mean by showing obsession about Williams' work and it's quite scary.

:lol: "Obsession" - Bernard Herrmann

Hey, something new to have us guessing about while we await word from Concord.

If Intrada is pressing 5,000 copies of something, it had better be something that will leave a lot of us saying, "Finally!"

Sorry, King Mark, but Family Plot does not fit that bill. I'm not even sure Spartacus fits that bill (and I would be quicker to pick up Spartacus than I would Family Plot).

More likely Back to the Future, but I'm not willing to put my money on any guess. Remember how Intrada gave clues before releasing WarGames?

Wait and see is the way for me.

Oh, yeah, I am Spartacus.

See this is what I mean by showing obsession about Williams' work and it's quite scary.

That's from Vertigo, right? (If I was at home, I could look it up.)

And Hitch, I miss the banjo playing.

And Hitch, I miss the banjo playing.

I guess it's the De Palma movie "Obsession" scored by Herrmann. One of his best works, which needs a proper release, by the way.

Spartacus would be a much much much much more stunning release than Back to the Future. I'd gladly buy either of them, though.

I would buy the first, I wouldn't buy the 2nd (not sure if I would even bother to listen to it... well, maybe just for nostalgia).

I guess it's the De Palma movie "Obsession" scored by Herrmann. One of his best works, which needs a proper release, by the way.

Ahh, my bad. I figured Hitch would be referring to his tale of obsession, rather than De Palma's, uh, remake. Good thing he got Bernie to do it. Maybe it'll be the 1,000 copy release that Intrada will have on the 23rd.

Speculation is obsession? :lol:

Back to the Future is VASTLY overrated

It is, but it is still definetly a score I would buy in a second. Not a masterpiece, not even close, but still a good score.

I disagree strongly that Back To The Future isn't "even close" to being a masterpiece. BTTF is probably the first time I ever noticed film music. And I was probably around 5 years old when I first saw the film. There are cues in that score that have been lodged in my mind ever since. And I'm not trying to claim that because it got me into film music it's a masterpiece.... but there is such a strong visual connection between the music and the film. If I play a bunch of Star Wars cues to my friends they'll all smile and say "cool, it's Star Wars." Sometimes they'll know which piece it is, like the Tie Fighter attack, or Binary Sunset, but many times I've played BTTF stuff in the car, or at home, and friends which are pretty much clueless when it comes to film scores, and often look at me weird when they hear what I listen to most, have instantly quoted lines from the point in the film it's from. Most recently it was "Damn, where is that kid?!" :lol: At the end of the day, the art of film scoring is to write music which compliments the images. BTTF does this brilliantly, and I certainly regard it as a masterpiece.

And please do correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't BTTF recorded with the largest orchestra ever assembled for a film? (Up to that point.) That's pretty special. Again, not a reason to label it a masterpiece, but it's certainly something worth noting.

Anyway, that turned into many more words about BTTF than I had planned to write! But, I don't think Intrada will be releasing it this time round. If they do, I'll be running in the streets, screaming with joy. (or maybe just strolling, whispering a little "yay" to myself.)

I disagree strongly that Back To The Future isn't "even close" to being a masterpiece. BTTF is probably the first time I ever noticed film music. And I was probably around 5 years old when I first saw the film. There are cues in that score that have been lodged in my mind ever since. And I'm not trying to claim that because it got me into film music it's a masterpiece.... but there is such a strong visual connection between the music and the film. If I play a bunch of Star Wars cues to my friends they'll all smile and say "cool, it's Star Wars." Sometimes they'll know which piece it is, like the Tie Fighter attack, or Binary Sunset, but many times I've played BTTF stuff in the car, or at home, and friends which are pretty much clueless when it comes to film scores, and often look at me weird when they hear what I listen to most, have instantly quoted lines from the point in the film it's from. Most recently it was "Damn, where is that kid?!" :lol: At the end of the day, the art of film scoring is to write music which compliments the images. BTTF does this brilliantly, and I certainly regard it as a masterpiece.

And please do correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't BTTF recorded with the largest orchestra ever assembled for a film? (Up to that point.) That's pretty special. Again, not a reason to label it a masterpiece, but it's certainly something worth noting.

Anyway, that turned into many more words about BTTF than I had planned to write! But, I don't think Intrada will be releasing it this time round. If they do, I'll be running in the streets, screaming with joy. (or maybe just strolling, whispering a little "yay" to myself.)

And you are?

I remember watching BttF in theaters and thinking that the score was pretty good but nowhere near the masterpieces that were beeing produced in those days .

Film score fans always talk about Family Plot, it's like this crazy obsession. I find no reason to want this score more than any other. If it comes out, fine, but to wait anxiously for it? There are MUCH better things out there, including a BTTF release.

But we all know this will be some obscure 80s sci-fi knockoff film and not anything most people would recognize.

I remember watching BttF in theaters and thinking that the score was pretty good but nowhere near the masterpieces that were beeing produced in those days .

The music to Back to the Future blew me away back in 1985. It still knocks my socks off 23 years later. I'd call it a masterpiece for sure. Were there really that many better scores in 1985?

But most it is released in the Silva suite

Yeah 13:00 minutes out of 55:00 constitutes most of a score. :lol:

The only place I see people go crazy over FP is here. While I would welcome a legit release I don't think this is it.

It gave me the impression of beeing bombastic but a whole level below what Williams ,Goldsmith and Horner wrote in those days .But by today's fllm score standards it's a masterpiece.

I used to think BttF was overrated, until I listend to it both a bit more often and a bit closer and realized just how much good stuff there is going on in that score beyond the main theme, which itself is an undeniable masterpiece.