Intrada's Sept. 23rd Release, Something Special?

Ollie

Overrated by whom?

You obviously misread my post. I said I as in MYSELF find it over-rated. There are people who have an obsession about that score.

No, I didn't. If you think sthg is overrated, it's not you who overrates it but someone else. I don't agree it is rated at all, it's pretty unknown for most people.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Film score fans always talk about Family Plot, it's like this crazy obsession. I find no reason to want this score more than any other. If it comes out, fine, but to wait anxiously for it? There are MUCH better things out there, including a BTTF release.

It is unique, fun, creepy, exciting, and more. It's like nothing JW has ever written.

I thought it was reported that the Conan masters were degraded too badly?

No, it was the slaves. :lol:

By the way, I would assume Feigelson's most recent statement would rule out a release of BTTF proportions.

And you are?

Oh, I'm Jim. Pleasure to meet you.

Nothing but my own opinion here sir.

And over at Intrada, Roger said "We're all pretty excited with it. I just hope a lot of people don't go, "Huh?" when we announce...and we sit on 4500 copies." Which makes it very unlikely that it'll be BTTF.

And you are?

Oh, I'm Jim. Pleasure to meet you.

Nothing but my own opinion here sir.

And over at Intrada, Roger said "We're all pretty excited with it. I just hope a lot of people don't go, "Huh?" when we announce...and we sit on 4500 copies." Which makes it very unlikely that it'll be BTTF.

WHy do they always say a release is a holy grail and such a badly wanted score, if they admit people might go "huh?" Marketing sucks.

I'm sure Roger was pulling legs in that comment; if they managed to get a 5000-unit release, they obviously knew they had a top seller.

Assessing how many copies will sell is a tough guessing game, as several recent releases have proven, but Doug & Roger know very well what the top "holy grails" are, so I'm sure they have no doubts as to the importance and the success of this release.

This board is the only place I have seen Family Plot mentionned so much and so often, so it surely cannot be considered as something most everyone has been waiting for.

It certainly is not the kind fo score that would sell 5000 copies (especially with Cinderella Liberty and Monsignor still available, with a lesser number of copies produced).

It has to be something that is not only among the most wanted by score lovers, but that will appeal to fans of the movie, like the Superman box set, to warrant such a huge release.

Back to the Future is a good contender indeed, and it is a great score. Comparing anything to Williams' and Goldsmith's masterpieces (or even their relatively lesser scores) is not a criterion of quality or mediocrity.

I was thinking Goonies too.

But for some reason this 5000 copies thing has thrown me a bit. It's 2000 more copies than Ghostbusters. I mention this because Ghostbusters, BTTF and Goonies all had/have song based soundtrack releases that have proved to be very popular. If we're thinking this release might appeal to people outside of the usual score buying crowd, will it necessarily appeal enough to warrant a purchase? The biggest BTTF fan in the world might be completely content with some Huey Lewis. As with Ghostbusters and ol' Ray Parker Jr.

Ghostbusters continues to sell for around £50 on ebay. So maybe the extra couple of thousand copies is just to cover the "regular" film fan music buying public.

3000 for us, 2000 for them! :lol:

I guess what I'm saying is that Intrada have enough faith that there are enough people out there to buy this thing. But perhaps not with the level of demand that Alien commands. The more I think about it, the more I agree that Roger's "huh" statement was just a bit of fun.

Again, would that be expected to sell 5000 in any reasonable time frame.

From what I've read, yes. I've never seen or heard Goonies, but everyone else seems to be obsessed by it in some way or another.

'Back to the Future' got a rather good representation on the 'Back to the Future 2' cd, hasn't it?

And 'Family Plot' would be more than served with a 15 or 20 minute suite. Apart from the longer pieces, there really isn't much of note in it. If i muse over it, the same goes for 'BTTF'. Of course, such lofty considerations have never interfered with the good business sense of Intrada or Varése, who estimate the hamster mentality of most of their customers quite correct.

The original Back To The Future score did not get any type of "good" representation at all on CD. The only thing we got were the theme and a "suite" which was comprised of unreleased music and that was on the "album" CD which had also songs from the film.

Now if you're thinking about the CD that Varese put out, that's a re-recording and a piss-poor attempt at it.

The original Back To The Future score did not get any type of "good" representation at all on CD. The only thing we got were the theme and a "suite" which was comprised of unreleased music and that was on the "album" CD which had also songs from the film.

Now if you're thinking about the CD that Varese put out, that's a re-recording and a piss-poor attempt at it.

I meant that the soundtrack CD of 'BTTF 2' was a carbon copy of pieces from the first score.

Of course, such lofty considerations have never interfered with the good business sense of Intrada or Varése, who estimate the hamster mentality of most of their customers quite correct.

Well apparently not everyone can be as enlightened as you.

Neil

Yes many of the themes were re-used in both 2 and 3 but 2 and 3's scores are still different in their own way compared to the original Back To The Future. To this day we've never had a proper release for the first Back To The Future score. We need one and it deserves one. I for one would love to hear the original recording for "Lone Pine Mall" some day and hope I get to.

I think Roger was just joking.

And folks I could be a 100% wrong with my prediction of BTTF. I'm just basing my guess on what Intrada has done so far with Amblin and Universal.

Roger did say it's on people's list like Alien was so...

But I'm glad we have the no fun police on hand at every message board to shoot our obvious pathetic attempts down.

So with that in mind it could also be:

Young Sherlock Holmes

Star Trek II, III or V

Dracula

Black Sunday

Exodus

Boys From Brazil

Innerspace

Gremlins

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Both Horner's used and Delerue'.s un-used score.

The Black Hole complete

One Little Indian - Goldsmith

Independence Day

Honey I Shrunk The Kids - although the re-use fees might be a nightmare

The Goonies

:|

I forgot about Independence Day, Mark.

Well all in all, it's hard to guess what the special title will be. I guess we should just sit back and wait until the 23rd. Either way I hope it's something I'll want to get.

'Back to the Future' got a rather good representation on the 'Back to the Future 2' cd, hasn't it?

No. The 2nd score rehashes a lot of material, but the orchestra's performance, technical recording quality and sheer feel of exciting are nowhere near the level of the first score.

Marian is correct. In fact I believe Silvestri even commented on the 2nd score being less than spectacular because Zemeckis had too much on his plate shooting two films back to back (or at the same time) and not alot of time was spent discussing the score for the second one.

And 'Family Plot' would be more than served with a 15 or 20 minute suite.

No,because it's some specific cues I want. I agree that lots of Williams scores from that era (Poseidon Adventure ,Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Black Sunday,Midway...) can be reduced to suites but you need all the cues to choose the music you want

Well, the secret is out. Black Patch the movie featuring Jerry Goldsmith's first filmscore will be released on DVD. Obviously this is a great time for Intrada to release the score.

Ah yes,definately a holy grail score

K.M.Who never heard of it

Marian is correct. In fact I believe Silvestri even commented on the 2nd score being less than spectacular because Zemeckis had too much on his plate shooting two films back to back (or at the same time) and not alot of time was spent discussing the score for the second one.

Nevertheless, there are two cues particularly that I want to have, which are "Going Back," for the scene starting with the two Jennifers seeing each other all the way up to the point where they arrive in 1985-A, and the next cue, which I call "The Wrong Year," for the scene where Marty is walking around the neighborhood after getting chased out of what he thought was his house. The former particularly has a very cool ending, and the latter has some nice, beefy doom brass that I just love. And besides these, even though it's not as great as the first score, there's a lot to like about it--I particularly like the "Main Titles" take on the BTTF suite. I'd really like to have the full original cue, as the album version cuts out the music that was intended for Marty, Jennifer, and Doc talking about being in the future. I think there are some other unused cues or sections that we don't have in all three scores, and Part III definitely has some unreleased cues that I want. Complete releases for all three would be more than welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Someone with more knowledge of Intrada's history and patterns enlighten me. Is it possible that this could be an expanded Star Trek release? So far Star Trek II-V and Generations don't have any form of expanded release, bootleg or not, and I'd say a few of those are pretty well wanted, especially II and V. I don't know if I'd call them holy grails, but from their point of view, especially if it's Star Trek V, being Goldsmith, it could be what they mean. If there's any chance of them doing a Trek score.

Someone with more knowledge of Intrada's history and patterns enlighten me. Is it possible that this could be an expanded Star Trek release? So far Star Trek II-V and Generations don't have any form of expanded release, bootleg or not, and I'd say a few of those are pretty well wanted, especially II and V. I don't know if I'd call them holy grails, but from their point of view, especially if it's Star Trek V, being Goldsmith, it could be what they mean. If there's any chance of them doing a Trek score.

People should really quit expecting anything from Star Trek. I doubt Intrada would be able to pay the royalty fees to Paramount. Paramount can be pretty stingy about what's released on CD.

I read that it took a long time for Sony to even release the 20th Anniversary edition for The Motion Picture because of Paramount.

People should really quit expecting anything from Star Trek. I doubt Intrada would be able to pay the royalty fees to Paramount. Paramount can be pretty stingy about what's released on CD.

I read that it took a long time for Sony to even release the 20th Anniversary edition for The Motion Picture because of Paramount.

I wasn't expecting Trek, I was just asking what the possibilities are, because I wasn't sure who owned the rights to what and all that jazz.

Well whatever it is, I hope I want it, because I do want to buy Once Upon a Time in the West from Intrada, and this way I could save on shipping.

Unless they have free shipping, in which case I just save the effort of digging out my credit card more than once in the same week...

Has anyone here thought about Hook? That's a suggestion floating around both the Intrada and FSM boards. Would that be possible without anyone here knowing about it? I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it makes sense with Roger's ambiguous hints: it's a holy grail item for some, it has wider appeal, it could be a "Huh?" for some people since the movie isn't all that popular, and they think it will sell 5000 units. I don't want to entertain the dream for a second, but it's making too much sense. Imagine if complete Hook was released AND expanded Indy in the same year. Whoah!

Also, was Hook performed by the LSO? That could also add to the 5000 copies debate.

Also, was Hook performed by the LSO? That could also add to the 5000 copies debate.

I'm not sure which orchestra recorded that score, but I know it wasn't the LSO. I think it was an American session orchestra.

Would've been just perfect to have it released, of course ... bowdown

Another quickie...

How does this release business work? I haven't been so intrigued by a release before, so I don't know what happens. What time do they get officially announced, this one being the 23 September?

No, it wasn't. But it doesn't make any difference, who cares if it's the LSO or a studio recording as long as the performance is good...

I don't think the performing orchestra kills the theory, I hope it doesn't anyway. Conan the Barbarian is a favourite as well.

I meant that most score re-issues are limited because of re-use fees. Re-use fees are more expensive for scores recorded in America with American artists, as opposed to performances by the LSO. Ordinarily, the performing orchestra doesn't mean much to me, as long as, like you said, its a good performance.