Intrada's Sept. 23rd Release, Something Special?

Ollie

Back to the Future or Hook would certainly get my dollars. Conan is not big for me, but I haven't been in the score collecting business for long. I hope The Matrix DE at Varese lasts another week to see if Intrada has something I want.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hook was recorded in L.A. with studio musicians.

The orchestra will make a difference because of the re-use fees. If it's recorded outside of the US or with a non union orchestra then there are no re-use fees. That allows for more music to be released.

Now I'm not a 100% sure on how that relates to older scores, I know there were some changes that allowed for lower rates on the music.

Actually I think that Conan is the strongest candidate, along with Back to the Future.

Certainly more likely than 'Hook'. Or could anyone imagine Intrada selling 5000 3-CD-sets of 'Hook'???

Maybe 2 disc sets I could. Hook would have John Williams fans, swashbuckler fans, adventure fans I imagine. If people will buy a 2-disc CutThroat Island, surely they will buy a 2-disc Hook. Both scores are remarkable and necessary to own.

Hook would sell well, 3000 would probably be enough, but it would require more than 2 discs, plus it was recorded in L.A. while Cutthroat Island was recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra.

I hope this is not a complete score to any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. That would certainly sell around 5000 copies since they are exceedingly popular with the masses, thus it has wide appeal, but many people, the more serious collectors, would certainly say "huh?". I just would not consider it a holy grail of any caliber. I don't see Intrada getting the hopes up for a Zimmer/Co. score.

Not at all. No one has mentioned a Zimmer & Co. score, anywhere. They just don't come up in discussions of film music holy grails.

I think I'm going to have to dash my hopes on Hook. I just hope it's not some, 'Damn! Did we really need another Chuck Norris movie score' type moment. Oh well. And good point about CutThroat Island being the LSO, I should have figured that one out for myself.

Do people here even want a complete Hook?

I hope this is not a complete score to any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. That would certainly sell around 5000 copies since they are exceedingly popular with the masses, thus it has wide appeal, but many people, the more serious collectors, would certainly say "huh?". I just would not consider it a holy grail of any caliber. I don't see Intrada getting the hopes up for a Zimmer/Co. score.

I really don't think you will have to worry about that.

Although the day will come when it's time to start releasing expanded/complete versions of those scores, and any other Zimmer - R/C soundtracks. By then I should be too old and tired to give a damn.

I don't want a complete Hook soundtrack for the simple fact I don't need a complete Hook. The Hook I have had since the early 2000s is substantially more complete than the OST and features extensive alternates, concert arrangements, and a Sarah Brightman. Granted, the second half of my The Ultimate War (after the OST version ends) sounds like dung, so if this were the special Intrada release, I'd happily buy it to get a cleaner sounding version of that awesome 25 minutes of music (and to "own" it), but I won't cross my fingers for this in place of a complete Conan or Back to the Future. As if my hopes and dreams have anything to do with anything.

The sound on the Hook bootleg isn't very good. Less worse than Last Crusade ,but full of digital hiss reduction.

It'd be awesome if it was Hook

K.M.Wondering why re-use fees arguments only seems to apply to certain JW scores while other composer's scores get complete release regardless of re-use fees.

It would be awesome, but there are awesomer scores out there that don't even have a hissy sounding boot that I'd like to hear complete. I listen to Hook once, and usually that's enough for a few months.

K.M.Wondering why re-use fees arguments only seems to apply to certain JW scores while other composer's scores get complete release regardless of re-use fees.

Because there is usually less music, the scores are older and they are recorded overseas.

Not at all. No one has mentioned a Zimmer & Co. score, anywhere. They just don't come up in discussions of film music holy grails.

I think I'm going to have to dash my hopes on Hook. I just hope it's not some, 'Damn! Did we really need another Chuck Norris movie score' type moment. Oh well. And good point about CutThroat Island being the LSO, I should have figured that one out for myself.

Do people here even want a complete Hook?

Are you kidding? It's one of the best scores of the '90s. I have a expanded/complete version but the sound isn't that great and I don't even know how complete it is (there are several versions out there with different tracks). I'd love to have an official complete score.

Ah yes,definately a holy grail score

K.M.Who never heard of it

But it is Goldsmith. You know even the most minor Goldsmith score sells out in a few days.

In a few days? A matter of hours, my dear boy.

"Maybe we should start building an audience for Jerry Goldsmith since he hasn't quite caught on yet. (Wink wink.)"

I wonder where this is going...

I believe Mr. Fake was joking since Goldsmith has a rather large fanbase.

This was posted on FSM but Roger stated it on Intrada.

"If you notice, no matter what grail is being discussed, whether it's BACK TO THE FUTURE, GOONIES, previously BABY...whatever, there are always folks who poke their heads up and say those scores are not such a big deal. "Hey, you have BTTF 2, why do you need Part 1?"

So I am SURE some folks will say, "Eh, what's the big deal, I was never into this score." Then we'll probably get flamed for hyping the release, when all I said was the number we're pressing and that it is on a lot grail lists (both facts are true). But it's not on EVERYONE's grail list. Nonetheless, it's an important score in this composer's body of work and we felt it will be strong enough to warrant such a high pressing run to hopefully keep it around awhile. "

Maybe BTTF isn't a consideration? Either way I wish Monday would hurry up and come damn it.

After catching up on all the speculation, I won't add to it, but I was confused on a title that's been brought up several times, both here and on the Intrada site...Young Sherlock Holmes.

Intrada already released a 2cd set of that score a few years back, why would they re-released that? That is very doubtful (even though I know it's sold out...great set by the way).

My 2 cents..

Jamesyboy

After catching up on all the speculation, I won't add to it, but I was confused on a title that's been brought up several times, both here and on the Intrada site...Young Sherlock Holmes.

Intrada already released a 2cd set of that score a few years back, why would they re-released that? That is very doubtful (even though I know it's sold out...great set by the way).

My 2 cents..

Jamesyboy

it wasn't really a legit release. it was a composer promo they sold very limited quantities to re-coup costs....

Everyone at the FSM and Intrada message boards are convinced it's Goldsmith. Why would it be Masada? Who's going to buy that except hardcore Goldsmith fans. It probably will be a Goldsmith and the only Goldsmith I'll shell out for that isn't already released is Gremlins. I'm still hoping for a Williams or Arnold though.

Everyone at the FSM and Intrada message boards are convinced it's Goldsmith. Why would it be Masada? Who's going to buy that except hardcore Goldsmith fans. It probably will be a Goldsmith and the only Goldsmith I'll shell out for that isn't already released is Gremlins. I'm still hoping for a Williams or Arnold though.

I guess it will be either that, 'Back to the Future' or 'Young Sherlock Holmes'. For me, the only title of interest off that list would be 'Gremlins'. We got more than enough of 'Young Sherlock Holmes' on numerous promos and bootlegs, 'Back to the Future' has everything of interest on the short MCA CD for me (really). 'Gremlins' was bootlegged, too, but the sound is nothing to write home about. 'Masada' even had a 2-CD boot which i heard once but i stand by my MCA CD of that. Short and to the point.

As for Williams, what could it possibly be that demands 5000 units? I'm not convinced 'Gremlins' or any of the titles mentioned really has that much potential and the only Williams'ses left are not releasable for Intrada (Lucasfilm stuff, basically, or an expensive-as-hell-set for 'Hook').

The one complete Goldsimth i'd buy in a nanosecond is 'The Shadow' where the boot revealed a gothic fantasy score of 'Mummy' proportions. But this ain't gonna happen, i guess...

I think that these are the only titles (out of those that are likely to get released) that would sell out in a matter of hours:

-Back to the Future

-Conan, the Barbarian

-Young Sherlock Holmes

-Hook

-Gremlins

-Spartacus

I think that these are the only titles (out of those that are likely to get released) that would sell out in a matter of hours:

-Back to the Future

-Conan, the Barbarian

-Young Sherlock Holmes

-Hook

-Gremlins

-Spartacus

I would add Independence Day to that.

Never heard of it.

I await Monday eagerly. Thing with BTTF though, is that as far as boots go, the quality isn't that bad. It's a little distorted but it's good enough that I wouldn't be crushed if it didn't get a proper release in the next 5 years.

Masada would be a welcome release, some people missed out on the Varese CD and do not have the "bootleg".

In fact Masada is one of the few Goldsmith titles I don't have.

Intrada never disappoints me, they give clues and if it's something I'm not interested in I just don't buy it. I do believe all their major releases have been something I've wanted. It may not be BTTF or on of the big ones but I'm willing to bet I'll like it.

Unless it's by you know who or one of his buddies.....;)

Often, I like to gobble up Goldsmith CDs to films I've never seen just because I know they're going to be good. I haven't seen Baby for 20 years, I never saw Blue Max, I haven't seen First Knight past the gauntlet, I never Star Trek TMP or V until many years after buying their CDs, but aside from Baby, those were in stores; I haven't gone out of my way to do so, but I did know Baby would sell out quickly. So if this Masada is any good, I may be obliged to get it b/c the Goldsmith fans here give it praise.

I first thought you meant Voldemort there at the end, but I think I get it now. And you're right.

I forgot one possible title. It's been rumored that Intrada would be releasing Chris Young's score to Species. That might be a bit of a disappointment. I don't personally think that would be worth 5000 copies.

Roger Feigelson did mention that the upcoming release was an important score in the composer's body of work.

Definitely not worth 5000 copies. His UNFINISHED LIFE rejected score was only a limited edition to 1000 copies as part of the Varese CD Club a while back.

I forgot one possible title. It's been rumored that Intrada would be releasing Chris Young's score to Species. That might be a bit of a disappointment. I don't personally think that would be worth 5000 copies.

Roger Feigelson did mention that the upcoming release was an important score in the composer's body of work.

Then it just has to be 'BttF' or 'Conan'...None of the Goldsmith's mentioned is really of such elevated status in the composer's oeuvre.

I didn't realise Species was so rare until quite recently. I have about 8 not very well encoded 128k mp3s from the OST and was trying to find 320k. Then I realised.

And I hardly think it's a significant Young score. As much as I like those 8 tracks, they're basically the 2 main thematic ideas stated over and over.