The Chattanooga Symphony plays Williams

BrotherSound

Hey guys and gals,

I've never posted here before, but I've been a big JW fan since I was in 6th grade. I don't see a whole lot of personal stories on this board, but I hope it's alright to share one of mine, since it does directly relate to John Williams. The first cassette tape of orchestral music I ever bought was Return of the Jedi with Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic. I completely fell in love with the sound of a symphony orchestra, and was especially knocked out by the bold timpani and percussion scoring. I was already playing percussion in the school band, but this gave me a huge boost of excitement and I resolved to make a career playing music like that in a symphony orchestra.

Anyway, two music degrees and 16 auditions later, my dream has come true and I was appointed Principal Timpanist of the Chattanooga Symphony Orchestra this past Monday. Then, I was thrilled to discover that our very first concert is a Pops concert featuring selections from Star Wars! I couldn't ask for a better start to my professional career.

Anyway, if anyone on this board is from the Chattanooga/Atlanta/Knoxville area, you may want to mark this one on your calender, 'cause it'll be right up your alley. The second half is entirely Star Wars, six selections including the Imperial March, Throne Room/End Title, and Duel of the Fates. The first half has some more Johnny T. in the form of E.T. Adventures on Earth and Flight to Neverland from Hook. Also of interest to film score fans: James Horner's Rocketeer and Apollo 13. The program is rounded out with the opening from Also Sprach Zarathustra (the famous 2001 theme, and an all time timpani moment to boot!) and Gustav Holst's Mars from the Planets, which isn't film music, but was a major inspiration for the Star Wars scores, and is just an all-around bad ass piece.

The Chattanooga Symphony Orchestra

October 18, 2008 at 8:00pm

Fantastic Journey!

Celebrating NASA's 50th Anniversary

Conductor: Carl Topilow

www.chattanoogasymphony.org

-Rob

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days