FSM Releases Williams' "Goodbye, Mr. Chips"!

robthehand

Don't know it at all.

The Overture is really nice. I was dreading a silly Goldfarb kind of thing.

I'll check out several samples first, but this first track sounds promising.

The note on the Swimmer album page is really interesting. If they are now digging into the sony pictures and columbia vault, we might see some more treasures. Images immediately comes to mind.

This might be a good time to finally get a credit card :sleepy: I really want to hear this score/musical. And it is so cheap, 35 bucks for 3 discs!

It is an amazing score. I love it.

It's cool to hear the similarities between what he did with this and what he did for Hook, Home Alone, and Supmerman--other scores he teamed up with Leslie Bricuss on.

It's one of my favourite sounds of JW's.

And it's not silly playfull fun like Goldfarb. It's more on the level of Hook.

One thing I've learned today from Neil's interview..Leslie Bricusse is a man and  not a woman

K.M.

A very good day is a day when you learn something new ;)

The interview was very interesting.Thanks to Neil for it. I always love to read what Matessino has to say and this score seems to be one of his special favourites.

Every FSM release is a limited edition.

Not quite correct. They re-issued various scores that were released on LP before. These releases (King Kong, Not With My Wife You Don't / Any Wednesday or Lord Jim / The Long Ships) are not limited and priced at 16,95.

I am not exactly sure if the new releases of Chips and Swimmer are limited. Usually, they state the amount of copies (which is ALWAYS 3000 units at least on FSM) under the album artwork but there is nothing except some other statements this time which makes me believe that these releases are not limited.

Another aspect that speaks for it: Sony music licenced the Swimmer and they are usually not open-minded towards limited editions.

The LP transfers aren't limited. That one is certain.

But I am not so sure about the others. For example: Force 10 From Navarone is mentioned as "first time on CD" while such a title might actually be a limited edition but nowhere do they mention the amount of copies.

Very confusing indeed. Maybe someone could clarify that by posting at the fsm board or writing an email to Lukas?

Edit to clarification: I have looked at the back of my Force 10 CD and there is no usual "This Pressing Is Limited To 3000 Copies" remark, so everything that is marked as "First Time On CD" without any mention of the amount of copies is NOT limited!

One thing I've learned today from Neil's interview..Leslie Bricusse is a man and  not a woman

K.M.

LOL

You didn't know Bricusse was a man?

You should points deducted from your Veteran status. ;)

K.M.

LOL

You didn't know Bricusse was a man?

Me too!!!! For years I´ve loved and sung (in a church choir) Somewhere in my Memory by the gifted lyricist woman named Leslie Bricusse!!!!! 8O

Sorry Leslie, THE MAN!!!!!! ;)

It's good to know he is a man. I always assumed it and then when I thought about it I was like "Wair... Leslie... that could be a girls name." but something told me it was a guy.. Go intuition! lol :-p

I already ordered mine and am waiting with baited breath for its arrival.

Leslie Bricusse is only a song writer, correct? He does broadway and writes a lot of lyrics, but he doesn't arrange the music for orchestra (to the best of my knowledge). The cover of the CD says "Music Supervised and Conducted by John Williams", so does that mean he didn't compose anything? Not even some of the underscore? The notes contradict this statement by suggesting he did, in fact, write underscore and source music. I don't want to purchase this 3 disc set if Williams had no input other then conducting. Did he, perhaps, orchestrate it? Can someone clarify?

I listened to the "Overture", but again, I have no idea who wrote it. I thought it was good, though.

Tim

I had always thought it was written by Bricusse. He does write lyrics with Williams but I think Williams just arranged the music because there is another CD release of Goodbye Mr. Chips, that is the original cast recording. It says music by "Michael Sadler," but if you scroll down, all but two tracks saying "Composed by Leslie Briccuse," the others saying "and Michael Sadler Robert Meadmore"

If you listen to that, the music is definately orchestrated differently.

I think it's like Fiddler on the Roof: The music was written, Williams arranged it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005BC5...5Fencoding=UTF8

Also, do notice that there are quite a few tracks eaither not included on that recording, or were written for the movie... which could implicate Williams. No idea though...

Even under Yahoo Movies, Leslie Bricusse is listed as the composer for most of the songs used in the film and John Williams is just cited as doing "Music" and "Music supervision."

Well, I just read the interview that Neil did, and the album producer, Mike Matessino says of Williams "He did all of the orchestrations, background score, source music, and conducting".

So, there you go. Pretty simple and straight answer that I completely missed.

And about the credit, Neil's interview also clarifies it when Matessino states "I think the effort is dismissed because it’s assumed, based o­n credits alone, that he just did adaptation and conducting..."

On a side note, did anyone happen to get the signed copy?

Tim

Well, according to the JWFan main page, it's sold out, but I was just wondering if anyone here was lucky enough to nab it before it was gone. :P

Tim, who was not lucky

I think it's like Fiddler on the Roof: The music was written, Williams arranged it.

There's only ONE cue I like on the entire Fiddler on the Roof 30th anniversary disk,and it's First Act Finale,because it's the only cue that really sounds like Williams.

I'm afraid if I get this Mr chips set the situation might be similar,no matter what the people trying to sell it to me say.

K.M.

Wait, Leslie Bricusse is a man?

So does that mean Marian really is a woman?  :)

Not to my knowledge. 8O

Marian - who never thought Bricusse was a woman.

:P Young Sherlock Holmes (Bruce Broughton)

Well, I just read the interview that Neil did, and the album producer, Mike Matessino says of Williams "He did all of the orchestrations, background score, source music, and conducting".  

So, there you go. Pretty simple and straight answer that I completely missed.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I'm still unsure of whether that means the score was completely composed by Williams, or that he arranged it based on themes/songs by Bricusse.

Ray Barnsbury

I count about fifteen score or partial score cues (each tending to be about two minutes long). Then again, I wouldn't buy this release for score. The songs sound more interesting. $34.95? Well, maybe...

How much of actual Williams  underscore are we getting?

K.M.Not interested in any of the songs and source music

Aren't you a Williams completist?

You HAVE to buy this release even if it had only 10 second of music from your favorite composer.

Well, according to the JWFan main page, it's sold out, but I was just wondering if anyone here was lucky enough to nab it before it was gone.

I did. Worked out to around about £60 inc shipping to the UK, and I have a birthday coming up in a couple of months, so I considered it an early present to myself. I'm very, very fond of Goodbye Mr Chips, the movie and its music, so this is a great purchase for me.

Hey, Neil did a GREAT job on that FSM/Goodbye Mr. Chips interview! I must be honest... I wasn't 100% thrilled when I heard this release was coming, but now I'm more looking forward to it thanks mostly to that interview! :devil:

(Um... if I missed the thread that already taked about this, please forgive me and replace it in it's proper thread?)