Klaus Doldinger's The Neverending Story score

Quintus

Wiki:

Music for the movie was composed by Klaus Doldinger of the German jazz group Passport. The theme song to the American version of the film was composed by Giorgio Moroder with lyrics by Keith Forsey, and performed by Limahl, lead singer of Kajagoogoo. This song, along with other "techno-pop" treatments to the soundtrack are not present in the German version of the film, which features Doldinger's orchestra-only score exclusively.

I've only ever heard the American treatment of the score with Moroder's added synth, which I actually kinda like. I'd love to hear Doldinger's original orchestral take though, if it were ever available. Was there ever an album of any kind? After a quick search I've only been able to find the ridiculously short 34min Dolinger/Moroder release.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked Soundtrack Collector and the above link lists what appears to be two different albums and one has two additional tracks compared to the US version.

The German release includes about 20 minutes of music not on the US release (I own it). Tracks 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 12, part of 13 and 14 from the German release are not on the US release.

I checked Soundtrack Collector and the above link lists what appears to be two different albums and one has two additional tracks compared to the US version.

The German release includes about 20 minutes of music not on the US release (I own it). Tracks 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 12, part of 13 and 14 from the German release are not on the US release.

I take it the German release omits Moroder's music then?

Wow, I've never seen it like that before. I loved it, but I will not deny that I prefer Moroder's added theme for The Ivory Tower, synth included. Thanks for the link! Oh and Steef, now that you mention it...

Mark: Thank you for going to the effort and finding that information. Much appreciated.

FrankV: I'm intrigued.

I take it the German release omits Moroder's music then?

Correct, no Moroder music on the German release.

Here you can see the main title from the German version of the film and the first scene (which is a bit longer on the German version).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbLZfIE7_Tk

Well the American version is certainly much more entertaining, as opening credits go, and in this instance that counts for the music too. But I'm extremely interested by this German version; it seems to add to the experience, rather than detract.

Yeah!!

- You're a little heavy, buddy.

Yeah!!

- We're going down... *crash*

Yeah.

hehehehe...I knew you'd go there!

Lionel Hutz: "This case is as good as the false advertising suit I had against the Neverending Story"

I wouldn't be suprised if it got a re-release one of these days. I've seen the first one as well as Robert Folk's score to the sequel on quite a few people's wish list.

Put the American version visuals with the German version music and you have the perfect combination.

This is another movie I haven't seen since I was a kid I might revisit through YouTube. Last time I did that I bought Return to Oz.

I've got the 2-sided DVD with this and its sequel but haven't watched it. I think I just might tonight.

I've got the too-short American soundtrack release and rather enjoy it. I heard Atreju's Quest for the first time in many, many years and it gave me that warm feeling of childhood nostalgia inside.

I recently purchased the German DVD to have both versions of the movie. I've yet to watch them though.

Unfortunately, some sampling shows that the German cut has far inferior image quality and a horrible, horrible dub. :pukeface:

Unfortunately, some sampling shows that the German cut has far inferior image quality and a horrible, horrible dub. :lol:

Right, I also own the German DVD and the picture quality is indeed nog good. There was a 2-disc DVD release in Germany some time ago which had better image and sound and a few extras. It's not available anymore however. It would be nice if they could release the longer German cut with English audio some time.

I would have loved to have that 2-disc release, but it's out of print and pretty rare by now I believe. I settled for the single-disc, which I had on my list for an internet purchase, but happened to stumble across in Koblenz during my last vacation.