Varese CD Club, September 2008

Lurker

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow for Matrix! I was planning on buying the original album too, glad I didn't!

Ditto on that one. I had just realized that I didn't have the OST and was about to get it. I'm so very, very glad I didn't now.

I think I will pick up The Matrix. The scores have always been the standout of those films, I like the first one and do think it requires an expanded release. Do you think this one will sell out?

Wow! An expanded score for The Matrix!? I never would have thought that would happen. Obviously it's not the complete score since the complete version is a 2-CD set.

Either way I'm sold on that score!

I actually want The Matrix. I bought the scores for Reloaded and Revolutions, but never seemed to pick up the first. This seems like a good opportunity to complete the trilogy.

I am a little strict on cash though, I'll have to sort through my priorities later. Hopefully it won't sell out before we get some more news on the Indy set.

Wow, The Matrix and one North!!! What a great batch!

P.S. Huh? Have I read it well? In Pony Soldier (Alex North) the editorial assistant is no less than... Neil S. Bulk! Not sure what that means, but congrats anyway.

Wow! An expanded score for The Matrix!? I never would have thought that would happen. Obviously it's not the complete score since the complete version is a 2-CD set.

Either way I'm sold on that score!

Me too. A very rough quick math tells me the DE is around 75 minutes, that's quite good. I don't have the complete promo - only a 1-disc DVD-rip, but -without that entrance hall action music that's not from Davis- I can't imagine there's much missing from this. Can you tell on first sight what seems to be missing?

In Pony Soldier (Alex North) the editorial assistant is no less than... Neil S. Bulk! Not sure what that means, but congrats anyway.

Nice! Congrats Neil! Was it proofreading or researching for the booklet or editing on the music itself?

Me too. A very rough quick math tells me the DE is around 75 minutes, that's quite good. I don't have the complete promo - only a 1-disc DVD-rip, but -without that entrance hall action music that's not from Davis- I can't imagine there's much missing from this. Can you tell on first sight what seems to be missing?

The track titles on the Varese set are confusing and I'm currently at school right now and will be until about 10:45am mountain time. I'll be home about 12pm mountain time and I'll go through and check to see what all is missing.

I'm curious about The Matrix. I've always kind of liked parts of the score, but it's never quite come together into a product I felt I could listen to all the way through without getting a bit bored at points.

I assume we'll get some sound clips at some point. I'll make a decision then whether it's worth it. One good point is that an 'intelligent' expansion is likely to leave off some of the duller and less significant parts and make the overall experience easier.

Trent - I'll be awaiting your findings too :)

In Pony Soldier (Alex North) the editorial assistant is no less than... Neil S. Bulk! Not sure what that means, but congrats anyway.

Nice! Congrats Neil! Was it proofreading or researching for the booklet or editing on the music itself?

The music.

Neil

The music.

Neil

If I'm not mistaken I saw your name listed in the credits of Varese's Iron Eagle as well. I had to do a double take on that one, but I somehow always forgot to mention it on the board.

The Matrix = medium holy grail. Intrada won't have it easy if they want to top this.

I don't recall the length of the score, but dropping the songs and the restaurant music (which at least on the iso score is barely audible and doesn't seem to amount to much) it can't be that much longer than a single disc? Although I seem to remember that the opening cue was longer than on the new Varese listing.

If I'm not mistaken I saw your name listed in the credits of Varese's Iron Eagle as well. I had to do a double take on that one, but I somehow always forgot to mention it on the board.

I got a "special thanks" credit on Iron Eagle.

Neil

The Matrix = medium holy grail.

;)

Now there are varying degrees of Holy Grails? Sounds like a fast-food tie-in. I'll have the Indy Burger, three Sankara potatoes with sour cream and a medium Holy Grail... make that a diet.

Okay now that I'm home...

Main Title / Trinity Infinity

I can tell all ready judging by the track time it's just the edited OST version. The two cues should be separate but combined the total should be close to 6:52.

Neo On The Edge

This cue judging by the time I think is the cue "Sneak Rue Eve" from the other version of the score. So it appears the tail end of this cue is being omitted from the CD which is "In Custody" and should be 0:49 long.

Unable To Speak

Same cue that is on the other version of the score and on the original Varese OST.

Bait and Switch

This cue is "The Road To Truthville" from the other version of the score and the time is almost dead on, maybe a second shy but that's probably because there's a second longer silence on the other version.

Switched At Birth

This is "The Power Plant" cue from the OST and other version of the score. The cue before that is omitted which is "The Lafayette Mirror". Guess some could consider the cue before this one 'uninteresting' but to me I think all of the cues for the score should be important.

Switch's Brew

This seems like it is "Welcome To The Real World" from both the OST and other version of the score.

Cold Hearted Switch

This is the cue "The Nebuchadnezzar Crew" from the other version of the score and the time is perfect.

Nascent Nauseous Neo

This is the cue "The Truth" from the other version of the score. Though it appears to be only half of it judging by the time length.

A Morpheus Moment

This is the cue "Neo's Awakening" from the other version of the score, and the time is dead on.

Bow Whisk Orchestra

Same as on the other version of the score and seems to be about the right time.

Domo Showdown

Not entirely sure what this cue is, maybe an unused Don Davis orchestra piece which in the film was replaced by a song from Lunatic Calm.

Switch Or Break show

Same as the cue that's on the other version of the score, timing is dead on. Glad this one made it to the deluxe edition.

Shake, Borrow, or Switch

This is the cue "Free Your Mind" from the other version of the score.

Freeze Face

This is the cue from the other boot "What A Mind Job" and it is the cue that plays when Morpheus explains to Neo that "If you are not one of us, you are one of them."

Switch Works Her Boa

I think this is "Sentinels" from the other version of the score.

Switch Out

Appears to be the cue "Arrival" from the other version of the score. Gonna be interesting to see if this is the film version mix or the alternate mix.

Boon Spoy

This is the "Spoon Boy Sermon" cue from the other version of the score.

Oracle Cookies

This is the cue "Oracle Honesty" from the other version of the score judging by the time.

Threat Mix

This is the cue "The Hotel Ambush" all though judging from the time looks like to be the edited OST version since the full cue should go about 6:05.

Exit Mr. Hat

Same cue as on the other version and OST, all though this is the edited version. The full version of the cue should be 2:58 long.

On Your Knees, Switch

This is the cue "Cypher Punk" from the other version of the score, it appears to be dead on for the same amount of time.

Mix The Art

Judging by the time this appears to be "Perfect World" from the other version of the score, though not all of it. The full cue should go about 2:10

Whoa, Switch Brokers

This appears to be "Matters Of Belief" from the other version of the score time is dead on.

No More Spoons

This appears to be the cue "There Is No Spoon" from the other version of the score, the time for it is correct.

Dodge This

This is the cue "Bullet-Time" from the OST and the other version of the score, the time is dead on to both versions.

Ontological Shock

This appears to be the edited cue from the OST, the full cue should be 4:17.

That's Gotta Hurt

This appears to be the "The Subway Showdown" cue from the other version of the score, the time is dead on.

Surprise!

This cue is "Neo On The Run" from the other version of the score,t time is dead on and glad this one made it too.

He's The One Alright

This is the cue "Anything Is Possible" from the OST and other version of the score, the time is dead on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what we're missing from the score is the following:

1. The full "Main Title / Trinity Infinity" cue.

2. "The Matrix Has You" which should go after "Trinity Infinity".

3. "The White Rabbit".

4. "In Custody" which should be the tail end of "Neo On The Edge".

5. "The Lafayette Mirror".

6. The rest of "The Truth" or aka "Nascent Nauseous Neo".

7. "Training Begins" which should go before "Bow Whisk Orchestra".

8. "The Jump Program" which would go after "Shake, Borrow, Switch"

9. The full "The Hotel Ambush" cue, even though it's edited on the deluxe edition.

10. The full "Exit Mr. Hat" cue, even though it's edited on the deluxe edition.

11. The full "Mix The Art" cue even though half of it is there on the deluxe edition.

12. "A Virus" which is the cue that plays during the Smith and Morpheus scene when Smith explains how he classifies the human species.

13. "The Key" this is the part where Smith desperately tries to get Morpheus to give him the codes to Zion's main frame.

14. "Lobby Shooting Spree", only the Davis orchestra portion before the Techno piece begins from the film.

15. "Trinity Ability" this is the cue when Trinity calls Tank and tells him she needs the pilot helicopter program.

16. The full "Ontological Shock", too bad they couldn't have left this in tact.

By the way the track names might be different on other people's versions of the other score. I'm just going by Davis' original cue names.

So besides what I listed what we have on this release is definitely a lot better than the short 30 minute version of the score that Varese originally released when the film came out.

Ya it's kind of disappointing that some cues remain the edited OST versions. They should have released this as a 2-CD set (and Stargate should have been a 2-CD set too) but hey I'm still happy to get this. I'll still take unreleased music on an offical set any day.

Neil

Didn't you get one on the Blue Box too?

Neil

Didn't you get one on the Blue Box too?

I did.

And on the upcoming Indiana Jones box set.

That's not true.

Neil

A terrible Grace Jones vampire movie with an equally terrible score. We could have done with another Alex North score.