JW's Concerto For Tuba & Orchestra NEW RECORDING!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you listen to a piece of music either you like or not, it's that simple.

Not with me, some things take a few listens to grow on me. I often find that music that I like upon first hearing, I get tired of more quickly. Music that takes several listens to appreciate I end up liking more.

I agree completely.

But I have yet to really start exploring Williams concert works. Looking forward to it.

Can't wait to hear this new recording. I'm happy the tempo is faster then on the old recording. I think it fits more what Williams wanted.

As much as I love Williams film music, I also love his concert works. It has all the things I like in his film music, but sometimes much more. Beside the heroic tunes...

In my opinion, JW's non-film works are sometimes interesting, occasionally brilliant (like the Olympic Theme), but they don't touch his brilliant film scores from 70's and 80's.

oh,I wasn't talking about his Celebratory Fanfares and various themes ,these are amazing. Unfinished Journey is also amazing,and so is Soundings . I only have a slight problem with "Concerto for Xinstrument "

I once heard or read classical people stating that his film music is better than his concertos. They felt the concertos were missing his strongest point, namely, writing melodies.

I wish Williams would have written some symphonies. It's curious why he's always writing concertos.

Me too. John Williams sometimes seems to be stuck in a straitjacket when it comes to diversity. Always film music, always concertos. I want a Williams that writes chamber work, symphonies, choral work, etcetera.

Alex

I once heard or read classical people stating that his film music is better than his concertos. They felt the concertos were missing his strongest point, namely, writing melodies.

I am perhaps not the best musiacally-educated person here (in fact, I am totally lame about this), but I guess melodies (a.k.a. catchy tunes) are not something necessary for a great piece as far as contemporary music is concerned. Besides, what I find the most compeling about his serious works is that he introduces some tiny, often noisy, elements and he develops them into something magnificent and incredibly rich... Whenever I come to these moments while listening to Five Sacred Trees, The Soundings, Heartwood or Cello Concerto, I feel such an excitement that I can hardly put that in words. As a matter of fact, his scores don't exert that influence on me anymore. Not that I ceased enjoy them, because I still do, however - like an addict or something - I seem to need stronger stimuli and this is what these concert works give me...

I absolutely love the Violin Concerto, but I see it's a tad more derivative (there's a strong resemblance with Bartòk's 2nd Violin Concerto IMHO).

Do you have a certain movement in mind? Purely emotionally, I feel Williams' concerto is more sad in character.

I should give another listen to Bartok's 2nd Violin Concerto to bring some clear example (it's a long time since last time I listened to it), but I remember that the structure and the general tone was very similar. Williams' concerto is indeed sadder and more contemplative (especially the 2nd movement, which is probably one of the most beautiful things Williams ever put on music paper), but I tend to believe this composition is a very personal affair for him: it started as his first attempt to a very demanding symphonic "serious" piece, but in the end it became something in which he probably put a lot of his personal struggle of that moment (i.e.: his wife Barbara's passing).

You just heard some people, that doesn't mean the classical community accepts better his film scores than his concert output. I remember that some CSO members played Yoda's Theme (amongst others) quite reluctantly in the horn concerto premiere concert, to John Williams' regret. Which doesn't mean anything either, actually.

... that doesn't mean the classical community accepts better his film scores than his concert output.

No, but it justly indicates that we don't have to assume that his serious work is automatically more accepted. It doesn't work that way.

But there is one truth: some of them tend to underestimate (JW's, whoever's) film music, not for the intrinsic quality of the music but because of its nature. Film music is a lesser art for those people.

But there is one truth: some of them tend to underestimate (JW's, whoever's) film music, not for the intrinsic quality of the music but because of its nature. Film music is a lesser art for those people.

Well, that's because film music is generally not very good. I find Williams to be an exception to the rule.

Well, that's because film music is generally not very good. I find Williams to be an exception to the rule.

Unfortunately that's right.

I've had countless discussions with Miguel about this and sometimes even he agrees with those people.

I just listened to this again (the Snell recording) and I don't like it enough to pick up a second recording. I forgot how much I liked Tailleferre's Harp Concerto though.

You just heard some people, that doesn't mean the classical community accepts better his film scores than his concert output. I remember that some CSO members played Yoda's Theme (amongst others) quite reluctantly in the horn concerto premiere concert, to John Williams' regret. Which doesn't mean anything either, actually.

I was there for the horn concerto performance at the Montreal Symphony Orchestra 2 years ago . Classical snob crowd. Anyways It got a cold reception and people just didn't seem to like it

The only fim music I heard live is the Throne Room and Raiders March also playedby the MSO outdoors. It was at the end of a "classical best of" free concert and the crowd just went nuts with excitement and it was as thought the orchestra suddenly became alive . It sounded so much more awesome and powerful than all the classical music played before.

you know ,the bombastic stuff like "Magician's Apprentice " and stuff like that.Even that was no match for Williams power...there was truly a stunning difference. The 2 Williams pieces sounded so massive and there is a kind of glow about them you can't hear on c.d.'s

I was there for the horn concerto performance at the Montreal Symphony Orchestra 2 years ago . Classical snob crowd. Anyways It got a cold reception and people just didn't seem to like it

Hey, same reaction that get most Penderecki or Messiaen works when I go to see them, yet they are considered some of the greatest composers from the 20th century. Moreover, their reputation is much higher than that of Williams.

When I mention the classical world I don't mean those white heads that can be seen in any concert. Instead, I mean the specialized theorists, professors and yes, critics.

It sounded so much more awesome and powerful than all the classical music played before.

What music was that? Or, do you not remember..?

I'm sure that a suite from Pirates of the Caribbean would have had the same reaction.

There is also music that doesn't need an standing ovation in the end. For me, it makes no sense to cheer in the end of Mahler's 9th. If you do so, you haven't felt anything at all.

When I mention the classical world I don't mean those white heads that can be seen in any concert. Instead, I mean the specialized theorists, professors and yes, critics.

That's funny, I like that term white heads. I go to the symphony all the time, most of the crowd are idiots. I wonder why they go at all. They don't pay attention, some chatter during the music. A lot of them are obviously bored. Sometimes they hum or tap to the music if its a well known piece. It's just the place to be if you are old and rich I suppose. I shouldn't complain though, them warming the seats is what keeps the place in business.

There is also music that doesn't need an standing ovation in the end. For me, it makes no sense to cheer in the end of Mahler's 9th. If you do so, you haven't felt anything at all.

Yes, throwing yourself off the balcony is a more appropriate reaction to that one.

"classic snob crowd"..tztztz

I really believe in the sentence:

"High niveau seems like arrogance when looked up to it from the ground"

what a absolute disrespectful attitude on this board to people who have the great fortune to have a certain sensibility that is much greater than yours.

I REALLY prefer an audience that sits in there is quiet an focused and therefore gives a subtle applause at the nd instead of.. "HELL YEAH STAR WARS.... WOOHOOO!!! Blow that damn Alban Berg away with your Brass CHords!!!! and applauding inbetween movements and right in the final chord!!!! This music is just soooo amazing WOW it really kicks A**!" mAN REMEBER THE SCENE WHERE hAN Solo and the Princess argue... hahah hell yeah great fun isn't it!"

:rolleyes:

Classical music fans are stupid because they badmouth filmmusic and don't understand what it is about.

and filmmusic people are stupid because they DARE badmouth classical music but they don't have one tiny clue what THIS music is about!

I REALLY prefer an audience that sits in there is quiet an focused and therefore gives a subtle applause at the nd instead of.. "HELL YEAH STAR WARS.... WOOHOOO!!! Blow that damn Alban Berg away with your Brass CHords!!!! and applauding inbetween movements and right in the final chord!!!!

Reminds me of how annoyed Goldsmith seemed when everyone started clapping before the final movement in the Blue Max suite.

Though to be fair, the "classical crowd" is not necessarily better. There's a 90% chance that at the opera, the applause will start as soon (or even slightly before) as the curtain is closed. No matter if there's still music. You don't see the stage anymore, you clap.

I remember at the snob crowd concert I shifted a bit in my seat and made a slight noise due to clothes rubbing around,and the guy next to me looked at me as though he was ready to kill me

I'm sure that a suite from Pirates of the Caribbean would have had the same reaction.

Sadly you are correct. I've witnessed it in person. Although the music did sound much better with a full live orchestra and no synth.

Classical music fans are stupid because they badmouth filmmusic and don't understand what it is about.

and filmmusic people are stupid because they DARE badmouth classical music but they don't have one tiny clue what THIS music is about!

I agree. Of course, I would put a 'some' before both 'classical music fans' and 'film music people', but other than that, right on.

I remember at the snob crowd concert I shifted a bit in my seat and made a slight noise due to clothes rubbing around,and the guy next to me looked at me as though he was ready to kill me

yes these things are the worst and very distracting, I can see th mans problem. :rolleyes:

I don't mind the occasional cough, clearing of the throat or other miscellaneous unintentional noise if it kept to a minimum. But I hate when people can't keep quiet. One time this old bat sitting two seats away from me (with nobody in between us) took out a cough drop and it took her several minutes to open it. The whole time it was making that squeaky plasticy crunchy noise. I wanted to grab it out of her hand and shove it in her mouth.

I agree. Of course, I would put a 'some' before both 'classical music fans' and 'film music people', but other than that, right on.

well I think a "Most" would be better.. ;)

I don't mind the occasional cough, clearing of the throat or other miscellaneous unintentional noise if it kept to a minimum. But I hate when people can't keep quiet. One time this old bat sitting two seats away from me (with nobody in between us) took out a cough drop and it took her several minutes to open it. The whole time it was making that squeaky plasticy crunchy noise. I wanted to grab it out of her hand and shove it in her mouth.

yesthis is the worst I agree with you.. I can get agrssion and a veryclolourful fantasy what I'd like to do with these persons: mostly the colour of blood!!

people who can't stop talking, or with ringing phones, beeping cameras while taking pics from the concert, people sneaking in DURING a piece

One time this old bat sitting two seats away from me (with nobody in between us) took out a cough drop and it took her several minutes to open it. The whole time it was making that squeaky plasticy crunchy noise. I wanted to grab it out of her hand and shove it in her mouth.

One time? Happens all the time to me!

To me the purest referential John Williams sound is The NBC News Mission Theme . That for me is his "essence" and "core" voice , meaning it is instantly recognised as JW and cannot be confused with any other composer. The concertos sound like a peripheral side of him to me.

Today's mail included the new tuba concert recording.

It is an outstanding recording, I would call it a reference recording. No comparison to the Bowling Green recording which features slower tempos and, please forgive me, a college orchestra.

The total length of this version is about 17 minutes, and especially the first movements is performed faster than I expected.

The Singapore Symphony Orchestra plays splendidly; thanks to the recording manager for bringing out the colorful Williamsesque orchestration.

I look forward to hearing this recording sometime!! I love the Tuba Concerto. :D And the soloist Oystein Baadsvik is really amazing.

yesthis is the worst I agree with you.. I can get agrssion and a veryclolourful fantasy what I'd like to do with these persons: mostly the colour of blood!!

people who can't stop talking, or with ringing phones, beeping cameras while taking pics from the concert, people sneaking in DURING a piece

OMG I know, I had to suffer an endlessly beeping watch during Mahler 5 Scherzo recently, in the horn solo! I was :P

And another time (again during Mahler, scherzo of #2) a guy next to me was unwrapping his Riesen for several minutes. I went to evil eye him, and met gazes with his wife who was doing the same thing - she sharply elbowed him and fussed at him LOL!

(Messed up quote fixed)

To me the purest referential John Williams sound is The NBC News Mission Theme . That for me is his "essence" and "core" voice , meaning it is instantly recognised as JW and cannot be confused with any other composer. The concertos sound like a peripheral side of him to me.

To you the purest John Williams sound is a TV jingle that's written under very strict musical restrictions? I'm not sure if that's a compliment for Williams!

No,I am refering to a distinct sound that sets him apart from other composers and instantly recognisable as Williams ,not because of the themes but because of a specific music structure that doesn't sound like a dead film composer like Rosza or Korngold or any classical composer.

it could also be

Olympic Fanfare and Theme

Liberty Fanfare

Harry's Wondrous World

Main title from Amazing Stories

Flight to Neverland (concert version) from Hook

Flight and Technology from Unfinished Journey

and other cues ..they are more "true" Williams than the Basoon concerto of whatever

No,I am refering to a distinct sound that sets him apart from other composers and instantly recognisable as Williams ,not because of the themes but because of a specific music structure that doesn't sound like a dead film composer like Rosza or Korngold or any classical composer.

it could also be

Liberty Fanfare

Harry's Wondrous World

and other cues ..they are more "true" Williams than the Basoon concerto of whatever

I don't understand why you say "true Williams". That's just a sound you happen to like. Yes, it's a part of Williams, just like there is a part of Williams in the Bassoon concerto, or in all his concertos, or in everything he writes. I'm glad he doesn't confine himself to celebration themes. Each time I hear a new concerto of Williams, I'm always disappointed at first because I instantly recognize his style. Sometimes I wish it would take me more time to detect his typical 'voice'.

it could also be

Liberty Fanfare

Harry's Wondrous World

I don't agree because most of these cues are written in a way to match the visuals, temp-tracks and general public taste while the concerti are JW in 'free mode' and by their nature are nothing else, but the purest expression of JW's imagination. Not that he doesn't put himself into the scores/celebratory fanfares whe writes, but in most of the cases he has to adapt his ideas to meet the requirements he is given.

And another time (again during Mahler, scherzo of #2) a guy next to me was unwrapping his Riesen for several minutes.

He unwrapped.... what? I'm sure it's something entirely different, but this sounds like something Steef would post... ;)