Favorite movie catchphrase of the century

Hlao-roo

Hollywood-centric Poll #2  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Of these 21st century movie catchphrases, which is your favorite?

• "I wish I knew how to quit you!" (BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, 2005)
    • "I drink your milkshake!" (THERE WILL BE BLOOD, 2007)
    • "Why so serious?" (THE DARK KNIGHT, 2008)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

therewillbebloodb.jpg

"Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You're watching? And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

'Tis poetry in motion!

And John McClane hasn't been cool for over a decade.

So are the days of our lives.

:lol:

I'm going with the milkshake quote because Saturday Night Live did a funny skit with it last year.

I don't actually know anybody in the real world who saw There Will Be Blood. I also never saw it. If I were to guess what it's about, it's that he's going to drill an oil well to tap somebody else's reserve out from under their well.

"Why so serious?" is really starting to get old.

And I don't know anybody in the real world who either wanted to watch the third movie, or actually enjoyed it. And so to quote that movie would be to imply they've seen it and it had an impact on them.

So I abstain from voting because all three "quotes" (not really catchphrases) are lame, and are not as deeply rooted in pop culture as you think.

"Yippee-kay-yay MF'er" is a catchphrase. "Use the Force" is a catchphrase. "And don't call me Shirley" is a catchphrase. "Beam me up."

Actually that quote isn't as great as you want it to be...

Snakes on a Plane is? I don't think there's been a single line as quoted as 'I Drink your Milkshake' in recent years. As Mark noted, SNL did an entire skit around it. And the fact that it's from the craziest scene of one of the most unique, most ambitious, and greatest movies in recent years doesn't hurt.

@Koray: I think the implication was that the line became a catchphrase.

Unfortunately, I think that 300 could field a lot of the most popular ones. THIS... IS....SPARTA!!!, for one.

I don't actually know anybody in the real world who saw There Will Be Blood.

Such is the sad state of affairs we're in. The audiences have been so attuned to specific kinds of entertainment, that there's a clear devide. There's the great movies, and there are the movies people actually see. Sad, sad, situation.

If I were to guess what it's about, it's that he's going to drill an oil well to tap somebody else's reserve out from under their well.

Close enough. He actually had a better analogy earlier in the scene than the milkshake one, but that was part of the lexicon of the times.

I don't think there's been a single line as quoted as 'I Drink your Milkshake' in recent years. As Mark noted, SNL did an entire skit around it. And the fact that it's from the craziest scene of one of the most unique, most ambitious, and greatest movies in recent years doesn't hurt.

:lol: This movie doesn't get enough love (nor does the score). I was talking to a friend last night who hated it. Dumb bitch!

I don't normally rent movies, because I when I walk into the supermarket to rent them, my mental list of what I want to rent dries up. But I do want to rent it, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I saw No Country for Old Men, though. Very true to the book, friend-o.

"Why so serious?" isn't a catchphrase, as are none of the above. They are just quotes from movies.

"Are you having a laugh? Is he having a laugh?!" That is a catchphrase.

I suppose it depends on your definition of catchphrase. To me, because these are movie quotes that have transcended their original context and become (current) staples in popular culture, I call them catchphrases. ("I see dead people" would be on this poll had it been released after 2000.)

Other writers have used this term as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/20...inesfromthemovi

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/..._milkshake.html

I don't think there's been a single line as quoted as 'I Drink your Milkshake' in recent years. As Mark noted, SNL did an entire skit around it. And the fact that it's from the craziest scene of one of the most unique, most ambitious, and greatest movies in recent years doesn't hurt.

:lol: This movie doesn't get enough love (nor does the score). I was talking to a friend last night who hated it. Dumb bitch!

It's a good film, just not a very likable one. I didn't really enjoy it and found it hard to get through. The score really got on my nerves during the first 20mins.

It's a good film, just not a very likable one. I didn't really enjoy it and found it hard to get through. The score really got on my nerves during the first 20mins.

I never understand why people say something is good, then immediately say they didn't like it. How can you say it's good if you didn't enjoy it?

Don't you think there's more to art than whether or not we like it? I can appreciate films I don't like. I can certainly appreciate film I don't enjoy.

Don't you think there's more to art than whether or not we like it? I can appreciate films I don't like. I can certainly appreciate film I don't enjoy.

I have an appreciation of film in general, yes. But if I didn't like something, I'm not going to say it's good. If I didn't like something, then I didn't think the overall product was good. Now, to say "I didn't like the movie, but it did have some good qualities to it" makes sense. It's all opinion though. Saying something is good is one way to state an opinion, saying you don't like something is a variation of that same statement. A good/bad assessment is never a fact, now matter how much praise or criticism or awards or money movies earn. In the end its all opinion. To say those two statements in the same breath seems like a contradiction.

"I See Dead People" has become a catchphrase, simply because saying "I see [something, anything]" in a hushed voice has become a running joke in pop culture.

I wonder if "must go faster" qualifies, since Goldblum's use of it in Independence Day seems to mock his use of it in Jurassic Park.

I can appreciate the fact that other people enjoy or connect with a certain film that didn't do anything for me, personally. But no, I will never describe a movie I didn't like as being "good".

Good for you.

There are plenty of songs which are not my personal taste, but that in no way makes them bad songs. It just means I didn't personally like 'em. I might well still appreciate that they are good records. Honestly, I don't see what is so hard to understand about all this. But then, you have always struck me as being something of a narrow minded numbnut.

"I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!"

That is what I consider to be a catchphrase. However instead of it being one that is intentional and often made popular by the marketing team for the movie, this one just kind of appeared out of nowhere from a few Youtube videos.

Good for you.

There are plenty of songs which are not my personal taste, but that in no way makes them bad songs. It just means I didn't personally like 'em. I might well still appreciate that they are good records. Honestly, I don't see what is so hard to understand about all this. But then, you have always struck me as being something of a narrow minded numbnut.

Namecalling, nice.

You didn't just say that TWBB wasn't your cup of tea, you said this: "It's a good film, just not a very likable one. I didn't really enjoy it and found it hard to get through." Everything you said past "good film" was derogatory, I just found it odd. Perhaps I wanted you to elaborate, perhaps I wanted to engage in a discussion on a discussion forum.

What's your problem, man?

In A.D. 2101, war was beginning.

What happen?

Somebody set up us the bomb.

We get signal.

What!

Main screen turn on.

It's you!!

How are gentlemen. All your base are belong to us. You are on the way to destruction.

What you say!!

You have no chance to survive make your time. Ha ha ha ha....

Captain...

Take off every 'zig!! You know what you doing. Move 'zig for great justice.

"I can see your dirty pillows"

I might be too young to know the film that phrase is in, but could it possibly be The Cowboys (an awesome film, by the way)?

It's from Carrie.

RR is right, Carrie is a feast of great quotes.

You haven't touched your apple cake

It gives me pimples

Pimples are the Lords way of chastising you.

Good for you.

Namecalling, nice.

You didn't just say that TWBB wasn't your cup of tea, you said this: "It's a good film, just not a very likable one. I didn't really enjoy it and found it hard to get through." Everything you said past "good film" was derogatory, I just found it odd. Perhaps I wanted you to elaborate, perhaps I wanted to engage in a discussion on a discussion forum.

What's your problem, man?

Sorry if I seemed abrupt, it's just because you annoy me. Have done since one of the Indy threads a while back, I'm sure you remember. I've avoided conversation with you for that reason ever since, my choice. That is my explanation, but forget about it coz ain't important.

Johnny Dangerously:

Johnny: "Watcha cookin', ma?"

Mother: "Beer."

Johnny: "With noodles. Great idea!"

Best quote ever.

Actually that quote isn't as great as you want it to be...

Snakes on a Plane is?

No, in fact I didn't say it is. I only mentioned it just because it was referred in the thread title. :rolleyes: