Kingdom of the Crystal Skull LP?

Lurker

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I did not.

The only place I know of around here that sells LP's new is the Virgin Megastore up in Dallas. I'm sure there are some obscure record shops in Austin but I don't visit them.

Is Tower Records still alive? I though they were out of businness...

In 2004, my first time in New York City, I actually bought more CDs in Tower Records (the one that was near the Lincoln Center) than in the Virgin Megastore in Times Square.

Man, I got so many JW CDs on my want list that in the first record store I went in, in one of the first days I were there (the Tower one) I bought like 12 or 13 JW CDs. :)

Well, now if I don't find a CD in a store, I buy it through the Internet, but the pleasure of walking in a CD store, browsing the CD covers, find the CD you're searching, pay it and unwrap it to check out the booklet is still something irreplaceable. Downloading (legally or not) is cold...

Man, I feel so old-school. :rolleyes:

It just does. I guess it's nostalgia, I grew up on Vinyl.

I know what you mean. I played my Temple of Doom LP so much when I was a kid, I kind of missed the pop and crackle of the vinyl between Slave Children and Mine Car Chase when I got it on CD. It almost seemed like a bridge between the two.

I know what you mean. I played my Temple of Doom LP so much when I was a kid, I kind of missed the pop and crackle of the vinyl between Slave Children and Mine Car Chase when I got it on CD. It almost seemed like a bridge between the two.

LP's always sound better because they mimic the "sound" of being in the theater the best. CD's have the clearest sound, though. People apparently liked that more than depth.

Nice to meet you! <_<

And you. :lol:

You write excellent music, by the way. I am listening to "Fanfare Celebration" right now, and I must say, that is an excellent performance. Who is playing it? Also, I think I have recognized some music in it, mostly some of it sounds exactly like something from The Rescuers Down Under. Is this on purpose? Either way, very good music.

Thank you! Well, I have the cd from Rescuers Down Under but I think I only listened to the main Titles so far. It isn't intentionally. So I think I have to listen to it. Are there any tracks you could recommend? Or where you here similarities?

In my eyes Fanfare Celebration is more a Williams inspired composition. I was asked for such a piece.

Which are your favourite tracks on Indy 4?

As long as we're talking about our love for Indy 4, I might as well join. :lol:

My favorites are:

"Call of the Crystal"

"The Adventures of Mutt"

"Irina's Theme"

"A Whirl Through Academe"

"The Journey to Akator"

"The Snake Pit"

"The Jungle Chase"

"Ants!"

"Hidden Treasures and the City of Gold"

"Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed"

"The Departure"

"Finale"

I'd seen this weeks ago as a preorder and it really made me angry. Why not release it concurrently with the CD? I'd have gone with the LP in a heartbeat. I'm not going to get the LP set now that I've got the CD though. I'm not quite that frivolous.

I would consider buying the cassette tape for my old car. I hope they release it too.

Comparing audio cassettes to LPs is like comparing Bea Arthur to Kari Byron.

My favorites are:

"Call of the Crystal"

"The Adventures of Mutt"

"Irina's Theme"

"The Journey to Akator"

"The Snake Pit"

"The Jungle Chase"

"Ants!"

"The Departure"

"Finale"

Agree on all!

On my old Jaws 3D LP there was a pop/skip in the main titles so when I bought the Jaws 3D disc from Intrada it startled me to hear a clean version. My mind had been programed to expect the pop and skip after all those years.

Thank you! Well, I have the cd from Rescuers Down Under but I think I only listened to the main Titles so far. It isn't intentionally. So I think I have to listen to it. Are there any tracks you could recommend? Or where you here similarities?

In my eyes Fanfare Celebration is more a Williams inspired composition. I was asked for such a piece.

Which are your favourite tracks on Indy 4?

I don't have the Rescuers Down Under, so I cannot tell you what track it is from, but the melody that makes me think of it in your piece begins for the first time at 4:16. The first bit seems identical, but it ends differently.

I may not have quite the level of appreciation for Indy 4 that Indy4 has, but the standout tracks for me are, probably in order:

"The Jungle Chase"

"Finale"

"Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold"

"Call of the Crystal"

On my old Jaws 3D LP there was a pop/skip in the main titles so when I bought the Jaws 3D disc from Intrada it startled me to hear a clean version. My mind had been programed to expect the pop and skip after all those years.

Same thing with me, only it was a skip from RotJ vinyl, on the track "Intro the Trap," when it got really loud. When I picked up the Anthology, and even now, the track doesn't sound right without the skip.

• 2 weeks later...

So do those to LP releases mean that those scores were recorded using analogue equipment? I thought The Incredibles was supposed to sound 'retro' because they recorded it that way. Is everything still recorded analogue and then converted to digital?

The eternal debate: LP vs CD (wich, by 2008, is yet to find a conclusion)

Althought a enjoyed KOTCS, an LP is more like a collectible item today, and requires pretty expensive equipment to get a proper and decent listening and maybe some plausible arguments against CD, wich doesn't requires so much expensive equipments to get a nice listening.

Again, KOTCS is great, but didn't cause much impact to make it a collectible item. I prefer my "good old" CD. Maybe if were talking about 5.1 high-def audio (SACD, DVD-A...)

Whoa, I didn't know about this. I'm a vinyl junkie and I'm all over that bad boy. Just wish there was a LC disc to slip in between my DCC Raiders 2-LP, my Bernie Grundman cut of Temple, and this KotCS LP!

Whoa, I didn't know about this. I'm a vinyl junkie and I'm all over that bad boy. Just wish there was a LC disc to slip in between my DCC Raiders 2-LP, my Bernie Grundman cut of Temple, and this KotCS LP!

Last Crusade was issues on LP in 1989.

And to the person who asked above, I don't know if KOCS was an analog or digital recording, but that has nothing to do with it coming out on an LP.

Neil

What would be the point in releasing it with analogue sound, when it was already recorded digitally? All of the 'hardness' of the digital recording would be transferred to the LP recording, would it not? So the only point would be bigger artwork, or collect-ability.

Ah, true. But even at 192 khz or however many samples per second, that will transfer to the LP. But I see what you guys are saying. Higher digital recordings will transfer at higher quality to LPs than CDs.

A friend of mine from Denmark sent me a sample of "The Raiders March" from the Raiders double LP that he ripped using an Audio-Technica AT PL120 Turntable and sampled it at 192kHz 24-bit compressed with Flac lossless. I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound board that plays 192/24 with superb quality. And yet I'm struggling to notice any biiiiiig improvment...

Indeed the 180-gram virgin vinyl ripped with a turntable as good as the one from my friend above and sampled at the highest rate possible for consumers today will sound better than it's 44.1/16 counterpart, but not enough to make me go and buy stuff like that. It's a minor sound improvment and definitly not worth the price. And given the fact that vinyl degrades at every play... and I don't know about you guys, but I listen to the same album thousands of times...

My favorites are:

"Call of the Crystal"

"The Adventures of Mutt"

"Irina's Theme"

"The Journey to Akator"

"The Snake Pit"

"The Jungle Chase"

"Ants!"

"The Departure"

"Finale"

Whoa, that was a tough choice, wasn't it?

:lol:

And given the fact that vinyl degrades at every play... and I don't know about you guys, but I listen to the same album thousands of times...

That won't be an issue with the KOCS score.

Neil