Empire Magazine's 500 Greatest Movies

Quintus

They tout it as the most ambitious movie poll ever attempted, comprising of votes by readers, industry pros and film critics. There are some very surprising entries in the first installment of countdown and one or two moves which absolutely shouldn't have made the top 5000, let alone 500.

So anyway: 500-401

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. Anther pointless list. Why should anyone be bothered with such nonsense as this kinds of things? I'm not talking about the thread, but the idea of making such things as top 500 lists of anything every few weeks. Does anyone actually care about these things?

Karol

Anyone up for predictions on No. 1?

Either Star Wars, something from LotR or Shawshank. That is usually the way with populist lists.

But what for? Can't people form their own opinions anymore?

Oh come on, why the grouchiness? It's just a bit of fun. Cheer up :lol:

Maybe you're right. But then again every single magazine makes a list of this sort and it becomes really uneventful after a while. And some people take these things really seriously, as if it mattered anything. That's what bothers me.

Karol

Well if LotR:FotR comes first, then I'll take the list damn serious and treat it with the respect it deserves! :o

As a regular reader of Empire since Darth Maul appeared on the cover all those years ago, I predict it WILL be a Lord Of The Rings movie at the top spot, but not that one....Fellowship will undoubtedly be in the top 20, but I think the top spot will go to Return of The King....

....that's if it doesn't go to Star Wars.......again.....

Saw made the list, Ociean's Eleven both are worse films than Superman Returns, and Ben Hur @491 give me a break.

Ben Hur is a top 100 film

Into the Wild, POTC dead man's chest thats a piece of sh!t

typical brit list designed to envoke outrage.

Saw made the list, Ociean's Eleven both are worse films than Superman Returns, and Ben Hur @491 give me a break.

I'm not even gonna bother to read it.

Heh heh!

Prejudices aside, I think it's safe to assume the outcome would be pretty much the same if The Hollywood Reporter polled it's own readership. The demographics are the same. Now kindly put the nationality issues you have to bed, thanks.

I personally think it's shocking that Indy IV and The Phantom Menace made the list, but that's the public for you.

The Ones that shouldn't be in the list:

BTTF II

Superman Returns

Batman

King Kong

Batman Returns

The ones that should be higher in the list:

Sweeney Todd

Indy 4

Unbreakable

Finding Nemo

The ones that are rightly placed:

Prisoner of Azkaban

Dead Man's Chest

Phantom Menace

Dumb and Dumber

Spiderman

Beauty and the Beast

Spiderman 2

Men in Black

Little Miss Sunshine

indy4 - who wouldn't be surprised if TDK got number one...

One good thing I will say about this list: it's been made by those who recognise good cinema made after the dinosaurs died out. We need one of those 'top 50 score' polls by the same people.

The following IMo should be nowhere near this list:

KotCS

Superman Returns

Phantom Menace

BTTF deserves more than 'a place'. It should be in the top 50 as far as I'm concerned.

Well I would hope that BTTF earns a spot in the top 50 at least. I'd say that II is one of the worst films I've ever seen, and I wouldn't mind it if III got a place on the list, but I think it should've been between 500-400.

King Kong was okay, I don't have too big of an objection to it. Same for Batman. Batman Returns, on the other hand, does not deserve a spot on the list.

Agreed. Though it's not my absolute favorite film, it is probably the closest to perfection film has ever reached. It has perfect amount of action, thrills, story, humor, romance, and drama. And it has great music, acting, direction, pacing, etc.

Indy 4

Indy 4 doesn't even belong on that list. And BTTF being the closest to perfection? Please, there's nothing special about it.

Of course there is.

Indy 4

Indy 4 doesn't even belong on that list. And BTTF being the closest to perfection? Please, there's nothing special about it.

Of course there is.

For once I agree with you.

Yeah sorry, I edited my post. I forgot to put II after BTTF.

The original BTTF should be in the top 20 as far as I'm concerned. One of the best family film's ever made.

I wouldn't put Back to the Future on the list. Its a nice sweet high budget B film. but thats it.

Should be Higher:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Planet of the Apes

Revenge of the Sith

Nightmare Before Christmas

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Should be Lower:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Ratatouille

Transformers

Just Right:

The Incredibles

The Goonies

Wall E

Monsters, Inc.

The Sixth Sense

It's difficult to call, but I think this could possibly the most wrong about anything you have ever been. A new personal best, so to speak.

I think the truth is somewhere in between your different positions, but closer to Joe's. The movies are not great. But they are certainly better than your average 80's teen movie.