Empire Magazine's 500 Greatest Movies

Quintus

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pleasant surprise to see Serenity and Cloverfield on the list.

Holy Grail and Airplane should be higher. I'm surprised Braveheart isn't higher.

Transformers has no business being on a top 5000 list.

It's difficult to call, but I think this could possibly the most wrong about anything you have ever been. A new personal best, so to speak.

I think the truth is somewhere in between your different positions, but closer to Joe's. The movies are not great. But they are certainly better than your average 80's teen movie.

When it comes to summer blockbuster movies, BTTF is as close to perfection as Jaws is. BTTF is a true great of the family fantasy genre; it has a marvelous story, fantastic characters an exciting score and most importantly, real heart. Its flawless entertainment.

Cloverfield is on the list? Say no more. If you're going to make a pointless list, you should at least try to make it plausible.

Sigh... the list comprises of votes... it's perfectly straightforward to understand...

How exactly do you propose they "make it plausible"?

How the results of the poll turn out is beyond the opinions of the magazine's writers.

I did not read the list, as British film polls always depress me. I apologize to Empire magazine for implying that they were responsible for the debacle.

It's difficult to call, but I think this could possibly the most wrong about anything you have ever been. A new personal best, so to speak.

I think the truth is somewhere in between your different positions, but closer to Joe's. The movies are not great. But they are certainly better than your average 80's teen movie.

When it comes to summer blockbuster movies, BTTF is as close to perfection as Jaws is. BTTF is a true great of the family fantasy genre; it has a marvelous story, fantastic characters an exciting score and most importantly, real heart. Its flawless entertainment.

Wait, shouldn't the exciting score be most important? :P

So leave the poll itself out of your comments and stick to what you know, next time. I'm not defending the thing, since there is plenty I disagree with within the poll too. On the contrary, I'm expressing my annoyance at responding to ignorant remarks. I'm sure you understand... right?

Well you came in, ignorance in tow and slagged off a few things you didn't really care much about, before attempting to make it seem like nothing more than idle chit-chat. Yeah whatever you say, you pompous pr*ck :P

Cloverfield is on the list? Say no more. If you're going to make a pointless list, you should at least try to make it plausible.

300 is on there as well, just below Revenge of the Sith.

To add insult to injury, 300 is higher than Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Wonders will never cease, but hey - since when has anyone EVER agreed with a poll? Especially one of this (silly) magnitude. You know what I do? I just see it as a bit of fun. Who'd have thought it eh!

I disagree about Airplane (which does get a bit old, unfortunately), but there's no doubt about Holy Grail. That really surprises me, I was under the impression that all proper Englishmen (of a certain age) loved Python above all else.

Airplane is the funniest movie I ever saw. Multiple viewings later and its comical resources are dry to the bone, but that will never dampen the memory of seeing it for the first time. Freakin' hilarious from start to finish. Then we have the Python movies, a close second.

Seeing Airplane recently, I was loathe to discover a sense that while all the jokes are as funny as ever, it felt less like a movie than my memory of it. I still laughed uproariously, but the jokes felt less of a whole. The film's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember...can't say I remember the first time. I think that Some Like it Hot is still the funniest film I've seen.

Some Like it Hot is in my top 10 timeless funniest, but Airplane will always be my No.1. I'll never, ever forget seeing it for the first time. I could describe my surroundings and friends if needed. It scarred me for life - gleefully so.

Holy Grail and Airplane are top 100 films.

;)

Yep, they are THAT great. Forget the top 100, they are part of my fave 20.

Transformers has no business being on a top 5000 list.

Indeed!

Wait, shouldn't the exciting score be most important? ;)

I will defend the film to death, but I must say that I think that the score is very good. Not a masterpiece, not even a near masterpiece, just a very good listening experiance that works wonders in the film. I'd buy it in a second if Intrada releases it, and I'd be very happy, but I don't hold it as highly as many here do.

Having said that, I am not incredibly familiar with it, so maybe if Intrada does release it my opinion will change.

Why bother doing a Top 500? Having that number of movies guarantees that the quality decreases GREATLY. Top 100 lists start to decline in quality, where on earth did they get the idea to do 500? Why not do 1000 and include home videos?

i wouldn't be surprised if the godfather is one of the top movies of all time along with star wars and psycho

I wouldn't be surprised is The Dark Knight is number 1. ;)

Never mind the 500 greatest, TPM should be on the 500 worst. It just proves that there are a lot more Star Wars nuts in the world than there are people with an appreciation for legendary films like Ben Hur. Sad really.

And so we have 300-201

Hmm the higher we get, the more respectable it becomes. Most definitely.

Lee - finding himself more and more surprised at the sheer amount of films on the list he's never even heard of.

Hmm the higher we get, the more respectable it becomes. Most definitely.

Indeed, some really good titles there like Solaris, Das Boot, The Virgin Suicides, Heimat, All The President's Men. I'm really getting curious for the next 200.

I didn't know Steven Spielberg directed American Graffitti.

Films that should be higher:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Jurassic Park

Films that should be lower:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Field of Dreams

The Bourne Ultimatum

Films that are right:

Forrest Gump

Yeah and he followed it up with Star Wars, before offering Raiders to his good friend George Lucas. Didn't you know that? Spielberg is a money man now though, his directorial talent dried up years ago.

Lee - really pleased that John Carpenters' The Thing made the list.

You mean you've never heard JW's score for it? It's a masterpiece.

Not quite the masterpiece that his score to the Color Purple is.

200-101

Lol at Point Break. Cracking action flick, but 197th greatest movie of all time? Don't be daft.

EDIT: For those who wish to see what got the top spot, see this link. You may be surprised. I was.

One thing's certain, I'm delighted my joint favourite came second.

EDIT: For those who wish to see what got the top spot, see this link. You may be surprised. I was.

Not surprised at all. The same film has been holding the no. 1 or no. 2 position in the 'IMDb Top 250' for a very long time now. I should tell you that in more comprehensive critics polls Citizen Kane still ranks no.1.

Alex

Indeed. Actually the reason I'm surprised is, for a largely populist magazine poll, a film like The Godfather coming top is pretty much unheard of. Its normally Star Wars or Shawshank, in my experience.

Should've been higher:

The Wizard of Oz

Rear Window

Should've been lower:

Big

School of Rock

Tootsie

Just Right:

Ed Wood

Toy Story 2

Superman: The Movie

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

The Princess Bride

I'm going to wait until tommorrow to see 100-1.

Indeed. Actually the reason I'm surprised is, for a largely populist magazine poll, a film like The Godfather coming top is pretty much unheard of. Its normally Star Wars or Shawshank, in my experience.

BFI is also doing a rather strange poll right now (you can only vote on films certain critics have nominated) and Shawshank is performing very poorly. For the moment, The Godfather is at no. 3.

The Top 100

The Dark Knight is number 15.

Chinatown, a film that according to our brilliant Joe has fallen off the radar, is number 13.