Robert Plant agrees to join Led Zeppelin!

Wojo

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...icle1735624.ece

In my opinion, there is only one band reunion that could match or exceed the hype generated by the outstanding Genesis reunion tour of last summer, which I saw in the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh.

This band trumps the Phil Collins-helmed Genesis hands down.

Words can't describe how excited I am for this.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Led Zeppelin.

This will not be Led Zeppelin. It may be good. It may be great. Hell, it might be the best thing in the entire history of the world.

But it will NOT be Led Zeppelin. Some bands' rosters can accept substitutions and replacements, but Led Zeppelin is not one of them. John Bonham was an integral and irreplaceable member of that band, and without him, the band doesn't exist.

However, if some good music comes out of it, then no one will care, including me.

I was a huuuuge Led Zeppelin fan in high school, but I've kinda gotten out of that in the intervening years. Not to say I dislike them now; I just haven't listened to their stuff in a while, and don't have the emotional connection to their music that I once had.

That said, I don't think they're overrated. Any band that remains that popular over that amount of time cannot be overrated, I think.

They all were tremendous musicians and have made some great tracks. They did tended to drag some songs way too much with all the guitar scratching, Plant moaning, psychadelic stuff, but they still wrote great stuff.

BUt I agree with BB...these are not Led Zeppelin. Not as insulting as that Doors reunion, but still...

Led Zeppelin... one of the most overrated bands ever.

I whole heartedly agree

Everything is overrated to you.

no I was around when Led Zepplin was a supergroup, didn't care for them then or now.

How many #1 hits songs did they have, hmmmm.

How many did John Williams have?

John Williams doesnt play on the same field Marian

no don't have to, I know that what Bruce did was virtually unprecedented. the spice girls might have in britian but I'm not counting the british charts just the US charts

no your point wasn't made, there are few albums that register that many hits and the spice girls are terrible.

How many did John Williams have?

John Williams doesnt play on the same field Marian

And that automatically makes him better?

sorry but your logic makes so sense, no one said Williams was better, we're talking pop music, Williams isn't in that field, where are you trying to go with this????

You seemed to equal few #1 hits with lack of quality. Also, it's rock, not pop. :baaa:

yeah but how does williams figure into it, you haven't explained, and pop music is rock music.

Roxette is pop. Led Zeppelin is rock. And if you equate #1 hits with quality across the field, you can't just draw a line at film music. If it's #1 hits it takes to have high quality, then Williams is garbage, plain and simple.

OK, so that report last week, which I got in my weekly Ticketmaster and GoTickets emails, has now itself been shot down. And for the record, it's now 3:29 PM Eastern time, even though the message says 8:02 AM; I just re-edited my original post since now it's irrelevant.

From his official website:

http://www.robertplant.com/index.php?l1=2&...b478fe5bd403994

Robert Plant – Official Statement / 29th September 2008

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are currently touring the USA on the last leg of their 'Raising Sand' tour. They played a benefit concert in Oklahoma City for victims of Hurricane Ike last Friday; Austin,Texas last Saturday and tomorrow they play Portland, Oregon before finishing the tour in Saratoga, California on October 5th.

After those dates, Robert has no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years. Contrary to a spate of recent reports, Robert Plant will not be touring or recording with Led Zeppelin. Anyone buying tickets online to any such event will be buying bogus tickets.

“It‘s both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward,” Robert Plant said.

“I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects,” he added.

So if they do tour, it'll be with an American singer. Then it truly won't be Led Zeppelin anymore, and that can be several hundred dollars I can spend on something else.

Oh well, please allow me to eat my crow in peace. Until the next rumor surfaces...

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

That's kind of a shame, but only kind of. Zeppelin's legacy is intact and thriving, and it'd be a shame for something like a "reunion" -- which can be seen as nothing more than a cash grab -- to do damage to that legacy.

On the other hand, they might've rocked balls off all around the world.

Guess we'll never know.

While I can understand the letdown, I went to a concert back in July to see Journey and they have a different lead singer but the show was still great.

I last saw Journey two lead singers ago, and they were still great. In 1999 and 2001, Steve Augeri was their lead singer, and now Arnel Pineda sings. The core of the band has always been Neal Schon, even from the time before Steve Perry was in the group, so as long as he, Jonathan Cain, and the back-in-the-band Ross Valory are together, it will still be Journey.

Even though they did break up for a time, Journey reunited to record new material and not just do reunion tours, so they don't feel as much of a publicity stunt as the Police and Genesis (and rumored Led Zeppelin) reunions did, where no new material would be recorded.

All their lead singers since Perry have sounded like Perry. Not sure if that means Journey's found their groove or they're just stuck in a rut. Depends on if you like Pineda or not. I like the first CD of the Revelation set, but I don't listen to his covers that much.

I'm still waiting for a retraction on the story at all from GoTickets.

Here's why. Last week, I got this email:

There is a buzz about town that Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham want to tour in early 2009 with or without lead singer Robert Plant. Fans are going to have to wait and see!

Which REALLY had me scratching my head in confusion.

75 minutes later, I got this email:

Our deepest apologies for the error in the previous email which had John Bonham listed as the current drummer. We are truly sorry for the error and know that Jason Bonham has been playing drums for Led Zeppelin. We hope fans can forgive the error.

A source said: "Jimmy, Jason and John are determined a tour will go ahead next year. They've been rehearsing frequently in London and the band is really gelling. There's an American guy who has been standing in for Robert regularly and doing a great job. Obviously they want the original frontman to join them on the road but he still won't commit. "They will be finalising plans for shows over the next couple of months and will tell Robert that if he doesn't want to be involved they will go ahead without him."

The retraction rather discretely explained just why John Bonham isn't the drummer, but since then, no more emails.