John Williams Concert Birmingham (CBSO)

aj_vader

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will anyone be going to the John Williams Concert In Birmingham on the 10th October? (This Friday)

I have my ticket, just have to hope Virgin Trains do not let me down! This concert looks like it will be a sellout and I'm really looking forward to it. I popped into Symphony Hall for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I was working in Birmingham and it's a mighty fine arena.

The following day I've got tickets to England v Kazakhstan at Wembley (It's nice! I like!) - a potentially great weekend double header, if I say so myself.

will anyone be going to the John Williams Concert In Birmingham on the 10th October? (This Friday)

I have my ticket, just have to hope Virgin Trains do not let me down! This concert looks like it will be a sellout and I'm really looking forward to it. I popped into Symphony Hall for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I was working in Birmingham and it's a mighty fine arena.

The following day I've got tickets to England v Kazakhstan at Wembley (It's nice! I like!) - a potentially great weekend double header, if I say so myself.

well im in the front stalls, and i cannot wait for tomoz!

i really want them to play the imperial march, ive never heard it live before, do you think they might do?

i really want them to play the imperial march, ive never heard it live before, do you think they might do?

What else could they play at a JW music concert?! :P

What else could they play at a JW music concert?! :mrgreen:

good point, but the Halle Orchestra didnt, i was so shocked! they chose the main theme and the flag parade and leias theme, no Vader music :P

I'll be there, with the missus. I can't wait. I hope they play the imperial march also. :P

i will be very dissapointed if they dont!

hope you enjoy it! :mrgreen:

What else could they play at a JW music concert?! :music:

good point, but the Halle Orchestra didnt, i was so shocked! they chose the main theme and the flag parade and leias theme, no Vader music :thumbup:

Most unusual. :mrgreen: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to hear it this time! :P

Your guess is as good as mine! The details on the website list Star Wars, so who knows - I guess it depends on whether there is a suite or just one selection (in which case a betting man would put his money on the main title). I'm looking forward to hearing Jaws, as I have never seen that performed in any of the film music concerts I've attended.

;)

What else could they play at a JW music concert?! ;)

good point, but the Halle Orchestra didnt, i was so shocked! they chose the main theme and the flag parade and leias theme, no Vader music :(

Most unusual. :blink: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to hear it this time! ;)

thankyou very much! :) i love it soo much, i like it a lot more than the Main Title

ashsame that theres no concert peice of just The Force Theme :(

I am also really looking forward to Jaws aswell :)

i beleive its Williams' most successful score in terms of story telling, its just sooooo simple!

thankyou very much! ;) i love it soo much, i like it a lot more than the Main Title

ashsame that theres no concert peice of just The Force Theme :)

I am also really looking forward to Jaws aswell :blink:

i beleive its Williams' most successful score in terms of story telling, its just sooooo simple!

Well the concert version of the Throne Room and Finale has an extended passage of Force theme which is as close as it gets to a concert version. A wonderful addition from JW. That oboe solo is just so beautiful.

What a fantastic concert this was! There were so many highlights I don't know where to begin, but I think it's fair to say that aj_vader got his wish, and some. I may post a fuller review when I have some time, but until then the programme was as follows:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Raiders March

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Nimbus 2000, Hedwig's Theme

Schindler's List - Theme

Munich - A Prayer for Peace

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Excerpts

Star Wars - Main Title, Princess Leia's Theme

The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda's Theme, Imperial March (with special guests - I'll leave it to aj_vader to explain further, if you haven't guessed already!)

INTERVAL

Olympic Fanfare and Theme

JFK - Theme (actually more or less the Prologue, with a slightly neater concert ending)

Jaws - Theme

Saving Private Ryan - Hymn to the Fallen

The Lost World - Theme *

ET - Adventures on Earth

Superman - March

ENCORE

Star Wars - Throne Room and End Titles

* Before King Mark asks: yes, it was the concert version of The Lost World with a few additional bars/measures at the beginning and a slightly different ending. ROTFLMAO

It would be good to hear the thoughts of anyone else that attended.

John Williams Blockbusters - Friday October 10th 7.30pm - City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra - Symphony Hall, Birmingham

Conducted by Micheal Seal and Presented by Thomas Pearson

LAST NIGHT WAS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

Ratings in brackets are for performance, not how much i like the original composition

Raider's of the Lost Ark - Raider's March - was a brilliant opening to the evening concert, the brass was right on the money, very enjoyable peice (4/5)

Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone - Nimbus 2000 and Hedwig's Theme - was suprised to hear this so early, but that didn't matter as the orchestra captured the magic of the peice and give it a beautiful performance. "Nimbus 2000" was a nice treat to hear just before the fantastic version of "Hedwig's Theme", which I was over the moon to hear, than the over played "Harrys Wonderous World". (5/5)

Schindler's List - Theme - was as always a joy to hear in the concert hall, such a moving performance from the solo violinist. I nearly had a tear in my eye at the end of the peice, but had i done the program i would have had this later on in the concert. (4/5)

Munich - A Prayer for Peace - now I know I'm going to get my head sawed off by some members on here now, because i'd never heard this before. I have to say it was a joy to hear and fit beautifully well next to the Schindler's List Theme. (4/5)

Close Encounters of a Third Kind - Excerpts - this was a brilliant peice to hear by the orchestra, as its full of big brass hits, sweeping whistling strings and wirling woodwinds, the peice was performed very well. (4/5)

Star Wars - A New Hope - Main Title and Princess Leia's Theme - This was definatley without a doubt the highlight of the evening for me. The "Main Title" was the best live version i've ever heard, everything about it was perfect and the orchestra made it there own. (5/5) I was a bit dissapointed with Princess Leia's Theme as the french horn solo at the beggining of the peice wasn't really up to scratch which shocked me after what i'd just heard, there were a couple of shoddy notes played. (3/5)

Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda's Theme and The Imperial March - This was performed so amazingly brilliant its hard to believe. "Yoda's Theme" was performed by the french horns and cellos so very well and was so suprised to hear a good performance of it. (5/5) Then the most amazing part of the night happened when the orchestra all hit that Bass G Note and played that ostinato for four bars and then the brass swells out a very powerful rendition of "The Imperial March". There were stormtroopers coming out aiming weapons at the crowd, then after the quite B section the orchestra starts to build the excitement of the peice, then as the bigger version of the "Vader Theme" was played, Darth Vader himself appeared on the Balcony and was conducting! the peice was amazingly played and on the ostinato bit the percussion really excelled! (5/5)

Watch The Imperial March Here! -

- INTERVAL -

Olympic Fanfare and Theme - an overall flawless version of this peice was played and not much more can be said, it was very enjoyable and flawless. (5/5)

JFK - Theme - I must say this is probably the best version i've heard of this peice, I loved the whole thing. (5/5)

Saving Private Ryan - Hymn to the Fallen - after hearing all the bombastic peice of Williams, it was a joy to hear one of his somber peices at the concert like this and again the orchestra excelled itself. (5/5)

The Lost World - Theme - now this is another peice i've never heard before, but the percussion on this track was a joy to hear, overall a good performance, but would have prefered the Jurassic Park Theme. (4/5)

E.T. - Adventures on Earth - this is (after Star Wars) my favourite Williams' Pieces. The orchestra played it so well, i did have a tear in my eye and im not afraid to admit it!. (5/5)

Superman - Theme - another brilliant flawless performance from the orchestra for another one of Williams big bombastic peices. (5/5)

- ENCORE -

Star Wars: A New Hope - The Throne Room and End Titles - After hearing such an amazing performance of the "Main Title" I was expecting this to be another hit of the night and it really was, the peice was performed just as well as the "Main Title", if not better. The peice ended with a flourish. (5/5)

Overall Concert has to be (5/5)

Just a fantastic night

Thankyou CBSO!!! and UK Garrison!!!

I'd have to agree with everything aj_vader said. It was a thrilling performance and exceeded my expectations. It was a surreal moment bumping into Darth Vader on the stairs during the intermission. I was very polite and let him by without a fuss.

Due to popular demand there is going to be a repeat performance on the 24th of January 2009. I heartly recommend you go and see it if you can:

http://www.thsh.co.uk/view/cbso-john-willi...usters-21-01-08

I'd have to agree with everything aj_vader said. It was a thrilling performance and exceeded my expectations. It was a surreal moment bumping into Darth Vader on the stairs during the intermission. I was very polite and let him by without a fuss.

Due to popular demand there is going to be a repeat performance on the 24th of January 2009. I heartly recommend you go and see it if you can:

http://www.thsh.co.uk/view/cbso-john-willi...usters-21-01-08

thanks forge ROTFLMAO

i think ill have to go back!

theres another williams one in febuary in liverpool with john wilson conducting, i saw him in manchester doing a williams concert with the Halle Orchestra, that was really good too :lol:

I too went last night and can only repeat what others have said. It is always such a pleasure to here this music live and in such a brilliant venue too. The performace was sold out and the orchestra were on top form and a joy to hear.

I always find it so humbling to be around so many other fans. The age range of people there was incredible....literally from 6 - 60. I doubt many other orchestral events would have attracted this kind of audience.

I also may have to go back in January and I definitely encourage others to do so too!

That must've really been a great concert. I'm glad your wish came true, aj_vader! :thumbup:

thats very nice of you... Thanks very much bowdown

i was waiting to buy a program for ages, then when i opened the page and saw Imperial March, my little heart would not stop racing, i know some may see it as sad, but i love the peice more than words can describe!

OK folks, as promised / threatened, here is my review of Friday's concert:

John Williams Blockbusters

City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

Michael Seal – conductor

Tommy Pearson - presenter

Friday 10th October 2008

It had long been an ambition of mine to attend a concert at Birmingham’s fantastic Symphony Hall, so when I found out quite by chance that the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra would be performing a programme of music by my favourite composer, John Williams, I didn’t need to think twice. The acoustically superb Symphony Hall quite rightly claims to be one of the finest concert halls in Europe (if not the world) and the prospect of hearing the maestro’s music performed there by a world-class orchestra was an opportunity too good to miss.

After a brief introduction from the reassuring presence of the knowledgeable and humorous Tommy Pearson, conductor Michael Seal raised his baton for the evening’s first highlight, the Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I waited with the usual mix of excitement and trepidation, hoping that the orchestra would not let me down. I needn’t have worried, because as soon as the five trumpets intoned that memorable main theme in perfect unison, I knew that the audience would be in for a great evening. There are so many possible ways to start a John Williams concert, but the Raiders March is as good as any and was played to perfection by the CBSO.

Next on the programme were two selections from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Nimbus 2000 and the brilliant Hedwig’s Theme. The former showcased the orchestra’s exceptional woodwind section – I will stick my neck out here and say that, on tonight’s showing, the CBSO’s woodwind section is the best that I have ever heard, flautist Marie-Christine Zupancic and oboist Rainer Gibbons deserving particular credit. The latter piece was performed well (the celeste part played nimbly by Alistair Young), although John Williams completists will have noticed the absence of the ‘surprise’ coda at the very end of the piece. During the interval I was amused to overhear a woman asking her husband, in the queue for the ice creams, “I’d love to know what that piano with the bells in is called!” If only they’d referred to the celeste in the programme notes. Hang on a minute, they did.

A change in mood saw performances of music from two of Spielberg’s most serious films, starting with the theme from Schindler’s List. While the orchestra’s leader Laurence Jackson received most of the plaudits for his poignant violin solo, the performance of the cor anglais part by Peter Walden was also simply beautiful and was much more prominent than I have ever heard before, giving the piece the feel of a plaintive duet between violin and cor anglais. As the programme notes pointed out, it was a supreme riposte to those who think that John Williams only does big and brassy.

Wonderful though it is to hear John Williams’s best-known pieces, it is always a pleasure to hear something less familiar, obscure even. A Prayer for Peace from Munich was therefore an inspired choice and an apt companion piece to that which had preceded it. The brass, woodwind and percussion players were able to sit this one out as the CBSO’s string players showed off their obvious skills.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind has always been one of my favourite scores and I never tire of hearing it in concert. I think the opening crescendo took some of the audience members by surprise, as there were a few gasps following the orchestral hit at the end of Let There Be Light. While it would be a dream come true to hear this piece performed live with a choir, until that happens the CBSO gave a performance of the usual suite as accomplished as one could hope to hear.

The first half of the concert concluded with four selections from the first two Star Wars movies. First up was the Main Title music, the orchestra clearly revelling in being able to flex its orchestral muscle. It is worth noting that the conductor’s tempi throughout were spot on – nothing taken too fast or too slow for my liking. This was followed by the lovely Princess Leia’s Theme. Unfortunately there were a couple of flubs from the horn soloist at the beginning (and I am well aware that that is the most fiendishly difficult of instruments to play), although the following flute solo from the aforementioned Miss Zupancic was absolutely note-perfect, undoubtedly the best I’ve ever heard it played. Brava!

Yoda’s Theme was an interesting yet inspired choice. While I certainly do not dislike it, it has perhaps suffered in comparison to some of Williams’s other Star Wars themes by appearing among the embarrassment of riches that is the score to The Empire Strikes Back. The CBSO’s rendition gave me a new appreciation for the piece and, had it not been for the fact that I did not get home until 1.30 in the morning, it would have been the first thing in my CD player.

It simply would not have been fair if only the good side of the Force was represented, so to even things up the first half concluded with the forceful (see what I did there?) Imperial March. To the surprise and delight of most of the audience, five armed stormtroopers and one biker scout entered the arena to guard the stage and threaten the audience. I must confess that I’d seen them arrive at the concert hall with their costumes a couple of hours before, but although the surprise element was missing for me, it was nonetheless enormous fun. Half way through the piece, some squeals of delight from fellow audience members drew my attention to the organ loft where, behind the choir seats and high above the orchestra, the dark lord Darth Vader himself had arrived to oversee proceedings and ensure that Michael Seal maintained an appropriate tempo. To rapturous applause, the biker scout (who was perhaps a little small for a stormtrooper!) led the conductor away under guard. It would be remiss of me not to credit the 501st UK Garrison of stormtroopers who I understand give their services for free in return for a donation to charity. They remained in the foyers during the intervals and willingly posed for photos with audience members and passers by. I enjoyed seeing a uniformed PCSO (Police Community Support Officer), on his knees and with his hands on his head as if held under arrest, flanked by two stormtroopers while his colleague took photos on her mobile phone.

The second half of the concert began in unusual fashion with some clown near me opening a bag of sweets and proceeding to unwrap one with all the dexterity of a baby giraffe wearing boxing gloves. This ‘performance’ was interpolated with the antiphonal brass of the CBSO playing John Williams’s Olympic Fanfare and Theme. Charles Ives would have been proud! Thankfully, the version performed was the one with Williams’s stunning opening fanfare rather than the one with Leo Arnaud’s music uncomfortably tacked on. I don’t know what the horn players had put in their tea during the interval, but they were excellent in the second half of the concert.

Next up was music from JFK, effectively the prologue music with a subtly different last couple of bars to suit the concert format. Now Tim Morrison is a tough act to follow and those in the audience familiar with the score must have been willing the CBSO’s trumpet soloist Alan Thomas to nail it. Well, nail it he did and it was no surprise to read later that he lists John Williams as his favourite composer. Conductor Seal rightfully got him to take a bow for his flawless performance.

John Williams has gone on record as saying that whenever he performs Jaws in concert, people start to laugh in recognition and the Birmingham audience was no exception. This was the first time I had ever heard this piece live and it was thrilling. So great are the acoustics in Symphony Hall (it is said that a pin dropped on stage can be heard clearly from every one of the 2,262 seats in the auditorium) that the opening low sonorities of the piano and harp, almost inaudible on most recordings if they are included at all, really stood out. Tuba player Jonathan Riches stood for a well-deserved ovation at the end.

Hymn to the Fallen from Steven Spielberg’s Saving Private Ryan is a difficult piece to replicate without a choir. I had heard it performed by the LSO at the Barbican in 2005 and although the orchestra played it wonderfully then, the absence of the choral element was noticeable – it just didn’t sound quite right. Therefore to provide the essential timbre required, the CBSO used a synthesised choir (performed by the pianist / celeste player) and I felt it worked well in what was a very moving performance.

This was followed by one of the highlights of the evening, in my opinion. I know there are plenty of John Williams fans that like The Lost World as much as, if not more than, his music for Jurassic Park (I happen to be one of them). It was a real treat therefore to hear a breathtaking performance of the theme by the CBSO, the six percussionists clearly relishing their moment in the spotlight. There was a really nice touch immediately afterwards when the timpanist and drummer turned and shook hands as if to acknowledge a job well done. Eager John Williams fans will have noticed a few subtle differences between the album version and this concert version, notably a few extra bars after the first few bars of the timpani introduction, and a longer passage just before the end.

Tommy Pearson introduced the penultimate selection, Adventures on Earth (the concert version) from E.T., with the now famous anecdote about Spielberg turning off the projector and editing the film to fit the music. It was another thrilling performance in which the five French horn players were on top form.

The last scheduled piece was, of course, the march from Superman, as fitting a way to end the concert as the Raiders March was to begin it. Hearing the CBSO’s large brass section (totalling sixteen players – five trumpets, five horns, five trombones and tuba) tackle the music for the man of steel was proof positive of John Williams’s genius.

The appreciative audience wanted more and it was to be something from Star Wars, this time the Throne Room and End Title. While most of the audience would have happily stayed for more, we were compensated with the news that, by popular demand, there would be a repeat performance of the concert on 24th January 2009. I would recommend it unreservedly to anyone who missed out first time round.

Damien :)

A fantastic overview of the night. Couldn't have put it better myself!

Why, thank you, Nick. Oh, and welcome to the asylum!

Glad you enjoyed the concert too. While we wait impatiently for the man himself to grace our shores again, it's great that there seems to be plenty of concerts of JW's music to savour around this sceptred isle.

i dont think ill ever see 'The' John williams in concert :(

is there an address you can write to him? i wanna ask him to come over! with the london symphony :P

• 3 months later...

Did anyone attend the repeat performance of this concert in Birmingham last weekend? If so, were there any differences in repertoire or performance or were the programme and encore exactly as in October?