The Solution to Listening to the 2004 Star Wars 5.1 Mix!

Lurker

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's wrong with reversing the orchestra? Ever been to a concert hall? Depending on where you're sitting, you'll hear some instruments in the right and other instruments in the left.

0-81E819__385x309.png

So what's wrong with reversing the orchestra? Ever been to a concert hall? Depending on where you're sitting, you'll hear some instruments in the right and other instruments in the left.

Not quite. The hall ambience usually balances the instruments more or less. Unless you're in one of the front rows on the very left or right. And then the sound sucks. I once heard Bruckner's 4th from the 2nd row, 3rd seat from the right, and all I could hear for most of the work were the 2nd violins.

But I gotta wonder... why would anyone watch Star Wars on an iPod?

Not quite. The hall ambience usually balances the instruments more or less. Unless you're in one of the front rows on the very left or right. And then the sound sucks. I once heard Bruckner's 4th from the 2nd row, 3rd seat from the right, and all I could hear for most of the work were the 2nd violins.

Well, that depends on the seat, definitely. But that wasn't my point, I mean, why should anyone care where the cello is coming from (for example) in a dramatic sequence. As long as the music is well balanced it should not matter.

Well, that depends on the seat, definitely. But that wasn't my point, I mean, why should anyone care where the cello is coming from (for example) in a dramatic sequence. As long as the music is well balanced it should not matter.

I want to hear the music as close to the conductor's point of view as possible.

Neil

A well designed concert hall gives a well-balanced impression of the orchestra from every seat in the house. Severance Hall in Cleveland is a good example. Unless you are sitting directly in fromt of the players (first row!) you will hear a beautiful orchestral balance from any side, or from the very back of the hall. Violins to the left, cellos to the right (or however the conductor has them positioned). It costs millions of dollars to get these concert halls designed so that the audience hears the correct balance. It costs next to nothing to ensure that the balance on a CD or DVD is correct. The iPod Nano seems to have fixed that particular error. I wonder if you plug the headphones in a particular way it will dial down Ben Burtt's sound effects so you can hear the Williams fanfare as red group makes its first descent to the Death Star!

Neil

And what does that sound like?

Neil

And what does that sound like?

Listen to Solti's Ring Cycle. :huh:

Neil

then study conducting