Which FSM Boxes do you own?

Hlao-roo

FSM Boxes  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which FSM Boxes do you own?

• FSM Box 01 - Elmer Bernstein's Film Music Collection ("Red Box")
    • FSM Box 02 - Superman: The Music ("Blue Box")
    • FSM Box 03 - The MGM Soundtrack Treasury ("Black Box")

Just curious. Myself, I have the "red box." (I'm aware that FSM has released at least two other major CD box sets, but, for the sake of clarity, I decided to go with the "boxes" that are actually numbered and designated so.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None. Is the first FSM Box worth the price?

I'd say that the first one is worth the price yes, it is just a matter of if you are willing to pay it.

Actually, it is a matter of whether or not I will ever be able to pay for it....

None. Is the first FSM Box worth the price?

I'd say that the first one is worth the price yes, it is just a matter of if you are willing to pay it.

Actually, it is a matter of whether or not I will ever be able to pay for it....

Cash a savings bond? ROTFLMAO

I am not even sure if I am old enough to do that....

EDIT: In response to joey225....

Hmm...well at the rate that the first box seems to sell I think that when you ARE old enough it'll still be available.

Seriously.

(Which is a shame, in a way. If it weren't for the price I'm sure the sales wouldn't be so slow on it.)

The third would be safe to pass on, in my opinion. It has a few good scores in it - but more than half of them didn't deserve a release, again in my opinion. The first box and the Superman box is the way to go. Plus those two both come with a nice hardcover "book" of liner notes. The Superman book is more than 100 pages.

Wasn't there a Goldsmith box set??

I believe that Varese had their Goldsmith at Fox set, but I don't think FSM put out a Goldsmith box.

That is correct.

Which by the way, is an outstanding release as well.

I can't believe I'm the only one that owns the MGM box!

Well, with a limited pressing of 1200, it went quickly, and, as you suggest in an earlier post, most of the scores in the box are fairly low profile. It doesn't appear anyone here owns all three boxes.

I have the blue box, but I somehow regret paying so much money for it, because after listening to the whole set, I wish I could have the same exitement as most of you havefor superman 2-4

I had pondered to purchase Box 1 at some point so I wouldn't have to keep staring at just "FSM BOX 02" sitting above my monitor. I seem to have missed box 3 and it's already gone. Oh well.

Just Superman for me then.

I procrastinated because I was a bit wary some of the scores featured might get a new release (of the original recording, this time-- and it did hgappen, with The Silver Chalice), but this turned out to be a fortunate thing, because FSM & SAE had a good bargain on the Bernstein set at the end of the year-- I don't remember exactly, but it was cheaper. An excellent set.

The Superman set was an instant purchase.

I hesitated much as regards the MGM set, especially as there were not any samples at first and I could not afford such a blind purchase. The very '60's-ish scores (the comedies, that is) did not appeal to me (as usual), as well as a few other things, but there were some really good scores I would have liked to have had.

It sold out fast, however, and I did not get it; I bought a couple of other small things instead.

I don't regret buying the first two sets, and regret a bit not having the third one, which did have some good scores.

The lack of samples upon release was a huge problem, and, even though I understand it's more economical for FSM and in this case anyway the condition was to release everything together at once, I find such sets as the MGM one to be quite a dilemma: it's too much for a blind buy, and too much if you're only interested in a third or half of the scores (roughly; maybe if you actually calculate it, the average price per score you like is still reasonable).

And what of the Western sets? They are not the same size, but the concept is basically the same, and the second set was the template for the MGM set (online notes).

I'm very happy with the first Western set.

I have played the samples from the second one several times, but have not purchased it because it was too "Western noir".

Of course, Varèse's Goldsmith set was an instant buy as well-- very literally.

I wanted to get the Orange Box, but that's a lot of money to spend for the only parts that interest me, Portal and Episode Two. So I'll just wait until Episode III comes out.

(By the way, this is just me trying to be funny. The "Orange Box" is the term used by Valve for a special packaging of Half-Life 2 and related shooter games for PC and high-end console systems.)

I don't own any of FSM's colored soundtrack boxes.

It's kind of interesting to see that most here only have the Superman set.

Not really, it was by far the most promoted, eagerly anticipated and talked about of all the FSM boxes, wasn't it? :lol:

Not really, it was by far the most promoted, eagerly anticipated and talked about of all the FSM boxes, wasn't it? :lol:

And one that wasn't limited.

Oh, and had music by John Williams.

Neil

Well, it was limited, and Lukas had said a limited repressing might be considered depending on how well it sold.

What is that "Orange box" mentioned in previous posts, by the way?

Incidentally, one cannot vote for two boxes at once on the poll.

Well, it was limited, and Lukas had said a limited repressing might be considered depending on how well it sold.

And it was repressed. Ergo, it's not limited.

Neil

Not really, it was by far the most promoted, eagerly anticipated and talked about of all the FSM boxes, wasn't it? ;)

What is that "Orange box" mentioned in previous posts, by the way?

Incidentally, one cannot vote for two boxes at once on the poll.

That's odd. The poll presents check boxes instead of radio buttons, so you should be able to pick more than one choice.

I explained that the Orange Box is a compilation of violent bloody video games, not a compilation of soundtracks, in my original post. It was a joke, playing on the whole "colored box" scheme that FSM has used for their three compilations.