Desert Island Discs

Quintus

You know how it works; you're stranded on a desert island and you get to choose just THREE of your most beloved (score) discs to accompany you. You can only have ONE disc per album, so choose wisely. Which 3 would it be?

I'd have to go with:

LotR FotR: Original Soundtrack.

Star Wars, from the Anthology.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: Original recording expanded and remastered.

They are probably my absolute must haves.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the Joel McNeely Rerecording of Jaws really that good?

No it's awful. The sound does not make up for the lackluster performance.

What if there's no electricity on the island, what if your batteries run out on your portable CD player? You'd be royally screwed. I don't like subjects like this. :P

Well one thing's absolutely certain; your toy lightsaber would have to go.

Is the Joel McNeely Rerecording of Jaws really that good?

No it's awful. The sound does not make up for the lackluster performance.

Ah, cheers for the heads up. Was just about to order!

You know how it works; you're stranded on a desert island and you get to choose just THREE of your most beloved (score) discs to accompany you. You can only have ONE disc per album, so choose wisely. Which 3 would it be?

Lost: Season 1

Lost: Season 2

Lost: Season 3

Hahaha, awesome reply.

I'd go with C'era Una Volta Il West, and I don't care about the rest.

Carousel (NT revival cast)

Superman: The Movie (my own one-disc edited version, or if I can't do that, disc one from the blue box)

Vertigo (Joel McNeely re-recording)

Babes in Arms

Which recording? :lol: (I've been meaning to buy a recording ever since I saw the show last year, can you recommend one?)

Is that the 1993 London Revival or its 1994 US run? I find the London version is amazing, while the US version isn't so good (the actress playing Julie is incredibly grating). Though both CDs have some unique musical inclusions.

Babes in Arms

Which recording? :) (I've been meaning to buy a recording ever since I saw the show last year, can you recommend one?)

1999 City Center Encores! Cast. It's great. The only other recording I know of (on CD) is the 1989 Broadway Revival, which I've also heard good things about. There are some interesting changes to the music in the Oppenheimer rewrite of the show (e.g. a reprise of "My Funny Valentine" interpolated into "Babes in Arms"; I'd like to hear that on CD.

Hahaha, awesome reply.

Not quite, since it'd need 4 CDs.

Is that the 1993 London Revival or its 1994 US run? I find the London version is amazing, while the US version isn't so good (the actress playing Julie is incredibly grating). Though both CDs have some unique musical inclusions.

London (NT = National Theatre), I didn't even know they'd recorded the US transfer of that production. I know the London album isn't anywhere near complete, but I'm very happy with it overall.

By a fortunate coincidence, film composer Randy Newman will be the guest on the actual Desert Island Discs radio programme this Sunday, 19th October at 11.15 GMT. If anyone is interested, you can listen at the BBC Radio 4 website here when the programme airs. It is usually repeated once during the week too. I wonder what pieces he will choose?

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: Original recording expanded and remastered.

?????

http://www.amazon.com/E-T-Extra-Terrestria...k/dp/B000002P2X ;)

I thought the original album was a different recording altogether?

Anyway.

I have the original and the 20th anniversary version.

Ran (Toru Takemitsu)

The Red Violin (John Corigliano)

Minority Report (John Williams)

While that might not be necessarily my choice, I do feel that's a quite wonderful and varied selection.