The Official South Park Thread

Koray Savas

I like the premiere more then I thought I would. I was disappointed they took a non-specific "ambiguous" approach to white nationalism, but the stuff with Cartman & Alexa was hilarious at least, so there's that. Also the home commercial parodies were funny, but they went for longer then they should have.

South Park 21x01 White People Renovating Houses

Well, I thought it was funny!

Randy's TV show was very funny; I normally wouldn't get the references at all, but every time we visit my wife's parents, I flip around on their cable system because I have't had cable myself for 5 years and counting now.  This parody was SPOT ON, especially about how MANY hous renovating shows there are!  Good stuff.

Cartman with Heidi was also VERY funny.  It's very relateable if you've been in a relationship you've known wouldn't work but wasn't over yet, or dating someone like that, or just can't come to grips with the part that comes after the honeymoon phase.  Clever stuff

All the Alexa/Siri/etc jokes were good too!  Never got old.

The rednecks filling in for Alexa, etc was pretty good, but their story overall was the weakest part of the episode.

Good stuff!

South Park 21x02 Put It Down

Well, that was great!

I loved how we never saw President Garrison, just had people reacting to tweets from him, which was really a good satire of Trump's real twitter persona.  Tweek continuing to freak out over what he tweeted was funnier and funnier, and everyone distracted driving over people while reading them was funnier and funnier too.

It was great to see PC Principal back too, and the lesson Craig learns about sometimes your partner just needs to be heard and you don't need to provide a solution to what's troubling them is a great, great message that I learned the hard way after many girlfriends.

The final culmination of everything into the song about not tweeting if you become president was just great.  

Good stuff all around!

Love how quickly this show can get an episode written, animated, and broadcast in order to ensure ultra-topicality. 

It's what keeps it fresh, funny and sharp after 20 years. And one of the many reasons why the Simpsons now looks sad and old ... I mean, Trump should be an open-goal for satirists. But they barely seem to have tackled him (although admittedly I don't make sure I see new Simpsons eps any more).        

I thought it was pretty good, definitely better than anything from the second half of the previous season, but not as good as episode 2. Randy exploiting the minority so he can be offended for him then acting as bad as he spoke against was a nice touch. Also it's nice to be reminded sometimes that the kids are still just kids. "In 1492, Colombus got us a day off from school!"

I really hate the way Cartman says school. Nails on a chalkboard don't bother me but this does. 

Randy's treatment of Columbus is a pretty safe way to mock the movement against Confederate statues. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's pretty weak. It's obviously supposed to be a tie-in to the new game, but falls apart and isn't very funny.

I don't think I got Zuckerberg, what was his dubbed voice and weird behaviour wih his "style" supposed to reference?

South Park 21x04 Franchise Prequel

Yep, that was pretty bad.  I don't think I even laughed out loud once.  The Weinstein joke was maybe the funniest thing.  Oh well.

Also the end of the episode was a just a less funny version of this video from a year and a half ago

On 6/14/2016 at 11:41 PM, Jay said:

Funny

On 10/12/2017 at 7:45 AM, Holko said:

I don't think I got Zuckerberg, what was his dubbed voice and weird behaviour wih his "style" supposed to reference?

Bad dubbing of imported martial arts movies

And what does that have to do with Zuckerberg? It's too random and unconnected to work, but not random enough to entertain purely with its randomness. If instead of the superheroes he went up against the kids' Anime personas from Good Times With Weapons, I'd have no problem with it.

Weinstein joke was excellent, and I enjoyed the little digs at superhero franchise 'universe-building'. 

Hopefully with this season being standalone eps as opposed to an arc, there'll not be as many eps relating to 'The Fractured But Whole' game as there were previously with 'The Stick Of Truth'. That got a little wearying.      

On 10/14/2017 at 6:49 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Hopefully with this season being standalone eps as opposed to an arc, there'll not be as many eps relating to 'The Fractured But Whole' game as there were previously with 'The Stick Of Truth'.

Ars' review of the new game isn't exactly glowing. 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/south-park-fractured-but-whole-review-emphasis-on-the-fractured/

Another weak episode. The basic premise was pretty neat, and there were a few funny gags, but something about the execution was just extremely off. I got only one laugh from it.

It wasn't that bad. It was a huge improvement over last week's. Not sure where this Malcolm kid came from. Reminds me of the little Lecter locked up in the toilet paper episode. I zoned out during the rap songs until I listened to the lyrics, and they sound like they were made for the episode. 

This article from Good Writer Patrick Klepek is ostensibly about the new video game but it gets right to the crux of why I abandoned South Park

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/wjg85m/the-fractured-but-whole-has-the-same-identity-crisis-as-modern-south-park

South Park 21x05 Hummels & Heroin

Eh. The premise was funny, and some moments we're pretty good, but overall it wasn't anything special.

Was Malcolm supposed to be a parody of Hercule Poirot?

• 2 weeks later...

South Park 21x06 Sons a Witches

Heh, I liked the Halloween-ized opening credits.  I liked the rest too!  The Cartman /Heidi story continues to be funny, and the Jack & Crack Witch Week story was funny too!  I liked how they came together at the end.  Good episode, more like this please!

Thoughts so far:

21x02 "Put It Down"

Tied together pretty well, and the finale song is so incredibly timely.  As for the opening song, did South Park have Jennifer Walshe as a guest composer?

21x05 "Hummels and Heroin"

The first real classic episode in a long time, although I'm a little disappointed that the hummels' "special power" was so... ordinary.

21x06 "Sons a Witches"

Meh.  I'm going to make a wild guess and say that Comedy Central demanded a "witch-themed" episode to tie into that week's Broad City.

South Park 21x07 Doubling Down

Very strange episode, more dramatic than funny.  I have really liked the Cartman/Heidi subplot they've had for a while but this episode wasn't a good continuation of it.  Also, the Garrison presidential subplot really at odds with everything else, just felt jammed in and way too underdeveloped.

It was also weird they drew everything like wintertime in the Colorado scenes; My wife was just in Colorado for a week and while it snowed a bit one day, nothing stuck to the ground and there certainly wasn't a layer of snow on the ground already

Yea, that was my problem, it seemed like they stuffed too many ideas into one episode, leaving them all underdeveloped.  They could have mined an entire episode out of Cartman feeding her meat and her getting fat

What was the dream sequence when Token's dad tells Cartman Heidi's dating Kyle a parody of?

The most prominent reference is the Pink Elephant Parade from Dumbo when they get high or something. I love how when Kyle rises from the sea as Poseidon, his trident is actually a menorah.