Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

On 17/06/2016 at 10:05 AM, nightscape94 said:

Got The X-Files blu ray in the mail the other day.  Great release.  Two really good in-depth features of the making of the event series.  One covering the bookends and the other covering the in-between episodes.  It was actually more than I was expecting, so I was pleasantly surprised.  The three commentaries are nice too.

I bought this recently too, but haven't watched it yet because I'm still binging through the rest of the series on blu-ray. I'm up to Season 7.

I've only seen very bad IQ from Blood Simple. Unless they find a brand new print in some vault, the movie is beyond rescue. 

They are only 'adjusting' the colours because they want to give old movies a new sheen. When upgrading, people want to see differences, or else they feel cheated.

The importance lies in the difference. The business of remastering has never been about restoring but always about adding or changing.

13 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

The difference is the new colours look like shit.

I much prefer the Raiders blu-ray over the dvds, I've seen the comparison shots. The film looks pristine, it's fabulous. 

The detail of course looks better. But the colours are awful.

I'm also heartbroken that the new ID4 blu-ray looks gold and yellow throughout compared to the old blu-ray. To hell with this new shit. I'm glad I bought two copies of the old one just in case one fucks up.

1 hour ago, Shatner's Rug said:

But the colours are awful.

Awful? Really?? Oh what a drama queen! 

I think the colours look better. Indiana Jones looks like he's truly baking in that sweltering Tunisian heat. The Golden Idol scene too, the way his face and frame is lit, it looks stunningly vivid compared to the original look. Better. 

10 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

No, I'm just not a whining little biatch who has too much time on his hands and pointless priorities in life. 

It's people like you who let careless Hollywood blu-ray mastering departments get away with poor colour accuracy!

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What?

The t-shirt guy is quite a famous mistake. You can see a man walk behind Indy, dressed in a white t-shirt, as he sits nursing a drink at a table, right after Marion has (spoilers!) been "killed".

18 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I've never noticed a color difference on Raiders between the DVD and the Blu-Ray. Aren't they both from the same master?

No. The blu-ray is a brand new master.

11 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Drax hadn't noticed either, till he read it online. Then the sleepless nights started. 

Oh go have some more kids.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Is there a comparison available anywhere?

Not that I know of. I'm just using the discs themselves when I play them and the colour timing is very different.

I wasn't as pissed off about it for Raiders as I was for ID4.

6 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

What good are these 4K releases if they keep fucking up the colour timing?

Not ALL 4K remasters have altered colors, Drax.

2 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I've never noticed a color difference on Raiders between the DVD and the Blu-Ray. Aren't they both from the same master?

Wow, I'm surprised you haven't noticed!

It's a COMPLETELY different master.  The DVD master was done in 2003 when the DVD box set came out; Then brand new remasters were struck in 2012 for the BD trilogy box set.  For whatever reason, TOD and TLC look the same, but Raiders has a yellow/golden tint added to everything, but I dunno why (I suppose its Spielberg-approved...).

Here are some comparisons for you

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/18041

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/18040

It's very noticeable.  The old colors were better.

EDIT: Oh, there's a video too

Look how grey they made the sky in that first shot!

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How does the Raiders blu compare to the 90's transfer used by the BBC? Thats my reference point

To quote Belloq...It's beautiful. 

The blu-ray looks warmer and more natural. Grass in the dvd looks artificially green. It's a case of colder vs warmer colours.

To be clear, those aren't comparisons between the DVD and the BD; It's comparisons between the HD print that aired on TV and the BD.  Though its possible the HD master that aired on TV is the same master used for the DVD set, I dunno (obviously, a major difference is the HD version had that new CGI cliff shot the DVD didn't).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/18041

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/18040

It's very noticeable.  The old colors were better.

I know you probably think I'm being contrary just for the hell of it, but I'm actually surprised you, Drax and anybody else for that matter think the original shots are better. I've seen these comparison shots before as well as a load more, and to me, the blu-ray image absolutely blows the previous versions away in every possible sense. Spielberg knew what he was doing when he made the change, that much is certain. 

Well, I haven't actually sat down and watched my blu ray yet (haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off), I'm only going by the screen shots I've seen online.  Perhaps I will agree when I finally have time to watch it!

The thing is, analysis of the blu-ray and the 35mm version of the film point to a remastering which strived to restore the original look of the film, with its yellow and gold tint. Sorry Drax, but you are merely perpetuating a myth out of a misremembered vision based on a dvd remaster you saw on your Sony Trinitron one time. 

W3pWWCH.jpg

The top is the 35mm; middle is the blu; and the bottom is your precious dvd. 

I can get more of these if you need to see.