Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

The US versions by Disney are completely fine.  I own and have watched them all and love them.

There's a box set of all of them available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117V8BX8

But they lack the bonus features of the individual releases, from what I understand.

On a couple of the films, the subtitles are for the English translation and not a direct translation of the original Japanese audio.  Makes no difference to me, honestly.

But if you want to import Japanese blu rays instead of buying the American ones, go right ahead.

The people who care about US dubs vs. subs and translations and shit are at a level of anime fandom that I can never ever follow them to.  The Disney dubs are fine for someone like me who hates almost all anime that isn't Ghibli.

Is this the worst cover art of a Star Trek home video release ever?

415uru6nWxL.jpg

The TNG combadge was never even used in any of the films. That's not even one of the screen-used or accurate versions, but the shiny gold and silver versions they sell.

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The people who care about US dubs vs. subs and translations and shit are at a level of anime fandom that I can never ever follow them to.  The Disney dubs are fine for someone like me who hates almost all anime that isn't Ghibli.

I'm no big fan of anime but I find the Ghibli dubs to be terribly distracting.  The voices just don't match the characters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scream Factory have certainly been on a real roll of late. Raising Cain and Lady in White last month; Carrie, The Thing, Child's Play and Exorcist III this; with Dead Ringers, Bubba Ho-Tep, Black Christmas, and The House That Screamed to come before the end of the year.  Hard to see most of these releases being topped.

I didn't pick up the previous blu, so I'll pick this up.  3 commentary tracks is a rarity these days (commentary tracks in general seem to be a dying breed). Terrible cover, though.

7 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

I kiss you and you say "yuck"?!

I watched this flick the other night. Why the hell would Ru'afo have built a self destruct into the collector ship in the first place?

Oh... Because the script needed Picard to be on the collector for the final fight, just like the final fights in the previous two films, rather than just wait for the Enterprise to blow it up. 

And the blue screen walls inside the collector don't look wrong. The collector fuselage looks mostly closed, not open in a grid shape like the interior. 

Can someone set me straight on Star Wars Blu-ray releases? I had the first release of all six movies with Jake Lloyd on the cover and that seemed to be as good as it gets for SW in HD. Long story short, that set was stolen and the sets I'm seeing online have a different cover and the threat of being released by Disney, who removed the Fox logo. I don't want that version.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Just watch them on Netflix!

They're not on US Netflix yet, or at least if they are, they've never appeared in my main screen of suggested and new shows. 

All seven movies are now on Xfinity on demand, however. 

6 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Can someone set me straight on Star Wars Blu-ray releases? I had the first release of all six movies with Jake Lloyd on the cover and that seemed to be as good as it gets for SW in HD. Long story short, that set was stolen and the sets I'm seeing online have a different cover and the threat of being released by Disney, who removed the Fox logo. I don't want that version.

Fox released a new box last year with Vader on the cover, and has almost identical content to the desert Jake Lloyd box. It's probably still available.

• 2 months later...

Christ I had to go trawling to find this thread. Arrow deliver the goods once again. Out in April (UK-only release):

81dqPVcsMqL._SL1500_.jpg

81bk2NQST4L._SL1500_.jpg

On top of this box of goodness coming in March:

81ckERI7nBL._SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...