Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Anyhoo, I love this puppy.

Apparently that's the same player I just bought with possibly some tweaks to the analog output stage, which means little to me as the player wil be hooked up via HDMI.

Neil

Anyhoo, I love this puppy.

Apparently that's the same player I just bought with possibly some tweaks to the analog output stage, which means little to me as the player wil be hooked up via HDMI.

Neil

Interesting thread about your new player. Some good info.

FANTASIA (and assumingly FANTASIA 2000) has been confirmed for December 7th.

Excellent. I've never seen them (except for bits and pieces) and absolutely want to.

Is that Beauty and the Beast date this autumn official or just a rumour?

FANTASIA (and assumingly FANTASIA 2000) has been confirmed for December 7th.

Excellent. I've never seen them (except for bits and pieces) and absolutely want to.

Is that Beauty and the Beast date this autumn official or just a rumour?

I think it's official. The TOY STORY BD has a trailer for it (just like the TS2 has a trailer for FANTASIA) so I think it's definitely coming this year.

I brought the following Blu-rays back from London:

- The Wizard of Oz

- Hannibal

But upon returning home I discovered that my LG BR player apparently bit the dust when I was gone, imagine the frustration! :D:)

Looking at Drax's Avatar shots above, is he saying that the movie on BR slices off much of the image at the edges? Or is he saying that's what you get when you go "full screen"?

Picked up Saving Private Ryan yesterday, it looks great!

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but apparently it's already out of print on Amazon. My brother told me and I was like, "whaaa?!" That could mean there was some problem with the first printing or something.

EDIT: Just checked, they say they're out of stock, and the price jumped up to $35 for some ridiculous reason. I paid $20.

EDIT 2: My friend just told me that the disc has audio problems, and after chapter 15 the sound goes all out of sync. They're re-issuing it next week, and replacing the defected copies for those who bought it.

Yeah it got recalled because of an audio defect. Still need that one and Minority Report. Will pick up in the next couple weeks when it's re-available.

Today I picked up Twilight Zone the Movie (9.99 Best Buy). I looked for Poltergeist and it was MIA. Another one I wanted is Towering Inferno, no luck in actual stores.

Picked up Saving Private Ryan yesterday, it looks great!

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but apparently it's already out of print on Amazon. My brother told me and I was like, "whaaa?!" That could mean there was some problem with the first printing or something.

EDIT: Just checked, they say they're out of stock, and the price jumped up to $35 for some ridiculous reason. I paid $20.

EDIT 2: My friend just told me that the disc has audio problems, and after chapter 15 the sound goes all out of sync. They're re-issuing it next week, and replacing the defected copies for those who bought it.

I didn't even notice any audio issues - but how do we go about requesting a replacement copy then?

Here's a part of the press release from Paramount:

Technicolor has set up the following toll-free numbers for consumers who have already purchased the Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu-ray, which provides details on how they can receive a replacement copy — US and Canada: 888-370-8621, UK: 08000-852-613. Consumers can also return the Blu-ray to the stores where they purchased the product to receive a replacement. Technicolor expects to have replacement discs available at retail no later than Tuesday, May 18.

I'm gonna have to call, I pre-ordered this months ago so it doesn't fall under Amazon's return policy.

I'll take mine back to Walmart during the week then. I don't have the receipt anymore, but I think they can look that up in the system if they need to, since I used my debit card.

• 1 month later...

I'm never buying another Blu-ray when it's released ever again with the exception of my fav titles like Star Wars, E.T., Jaws, BTTF, Titanic and the Indys. The markdowns are as ridiculous as the release MSRPs are. In a couple more months I predict Private Ryan, War of the Worlds, Minority Report and other desirable recent titles will be in the $10-15 range as they should be.

Yeah they drop fast. Shutter Island was $28 initially, then it went to $25, and now its $23 so I decided to just snag it up now.

if you waited 6 to 8 weeks you could have picked it up under 15.

and it's such an ehh film anyways.

Definitely. I got 2012 for $10.

and a poor tranfer to boot.

Still waiting for the Star Trek movie sets to fall a bit more.

Harry Potter ultimate editions could stand to drop to 19.99. The DVD sets are almost there, but of course they'll charge more because it's Blu-ray.

:o

That's not in the $10-15 range, Koray.

Man, those rich kids! :P

I'll wait for the price to drop below $15 if it's something I already own and don't need immediately. New releases plus movies that I really want to upgrade I'll buy at $20.

Yeah they drop fast. Shutter Island was $28 initially, then it went to $25, and now its $23 so I decided to just snag it up now.

if you waited 6 to 8 weeks you could have picked it up under 15.

and it's such an ehh film anyways.

But I don't want to wait 6-8 weeks, I want to watch it now :P I did only pay $3 for it though, since I had a $20 gift card.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the Future Trilogy officially announced: Oct. 26

There will be some Eric Stoltz footage incorporated into the docs.

This is it! This is the big one you’ve been waiting for!!! Exactly twenty five years to the day since Marty McFly first sped off in Doc Brown’s suped-up DeLorean Time Machine in the parking lot of the Twin Pines Mall towards 1955, Universal Studios Home Entertainment (USHE) will release the 25th Anniversary Back to the Future Trilogy Boxed Set on DVD — and for the very first time on Blu-ray Disc — Tuesday, October 26, 2010!

This highly anticipated 25th Anniversary collection features all-new restorations for enhanced picture quality and hours of bonus features including new interviews with the cast and crew.

In an exclusive interview with BTTF.com, Back to the Future Writer/Producer Bob Gale gave us a sneak peek into what we can expect from these brand new features, including one specific item which fans have waited 25 years for a glimpse at.

We caught up with Bob last weekend at the 2010 DeLorean Car Show in Lexington, Kentucky to get his thoughts on the new Hi-Def transfers of the films. “The HD transfers for all three films are simply breath-taking,” Gale told BTTF.com. “They actually look better than they did in the theater because of the incredible job that was done on dirt clean-up. (And the film grain is preserved, so they still look like movies should look.) And hearing the sound in full dynamic range is — okay, I’ll say it — a blast!”

He went on to describe the new documentaries, one of which is called Tales from the Future. “I’m sure fans will enjoy the new documentaries, which include interviews with cast and crew members who — for budgetary reasons — were left out of the 2002 documentaries,” he explained. “So there are some stories and anecdotes told on camera for the first time. And since everyone wants to know, there are three very brief snippets of Eric Stoltz incorporated into one of the documentaries.” You heard it here first — finally, film footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly!!

Finally, Bob gave us a description of just some of the remaining bonus features which to expect. “We’ve included an animatic storyboard of the nuclear test site sequence from the early drafts of Part 1; the galleries of stills and artwork have been rescanned at a higher resolution, and we’ve included just about everything from the previous releases as well.”

Features

* U-Control

o Setups & Payoffs: Note key scenes and see how they play out as you watch the movies.

o Storyboard Comparison: Compare key scenes in the movie with the original storyboards.

o Trivia Track: Get inside trivia and facts while you watch the movies.

* Pocket BLU: Experience Blu-ray in an exciting new way with the app for iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry, Android and more.

* BD-Live: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player and download even more bonus content, the latest trailers and more.

* My Scenes: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movies.

* Tales from the Future: 6-part retrospective documentary featuring all-new interviews with Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Director Robert Zemeckis, Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton plus Executive Producer Steven Spielberg.

o In the Beginning...

o Time to Go

o Keeping Time

o Time Flies

o Third Times the Charm

o The Test of Time

* The Physics of Back to the Future

* 16 Deleted Scenes

* Michael J. Fox Q&A

* Archival Featurettes

o Making The Trilogy: Chapters One, Two & Three

o The Making of Back to the Future Parts I, II & III

o The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy

* Behind-the-Scenes

* Outtakes

* Original Makeup Tests

* Nuclear Test Site Ending Storyboard Sequence

* Production Design

* Storyboarding

* Designing the DeLeorean

* Designing Time Travel

* Hoverboard Test

* Designing Hill Valley

* Designing the Campaign

* Photo Galleries Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Behind-the-Scenes Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits

* Back to the Future: The Ride

* Music Videos

o "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News

o "Doubleback" by ZZ Top

* Q&A Commentaries with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale

* Feature Commentaries with Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton

* And More!

From Blu-ray.com:

Image Entertainment has revealed the release details for The Twilight Zone: Season 1, slated for Blu-ray release on September 14. This edition has been mastered from new 1080p film transfers using the original camera negatives and magnetic soundtracks (rather than recycling the HD masters they already had on hand from the 2004 Definitive DVD Collection). Special features will include all the content from the Definitive Collection, plus new commentaries, interviews, isolated scores and more.

Full special features include:

Audio commentaries:

Actors Earl Holliman, Martin Landau, Rod Taylor, Martin Milner, Kevin McCarthy, and CBS executive William Self

19 new audio commentaries, featuring The Twilight Zone Companion author Marc Scott Zicree, author and film historian Gary Gerani (Fantastic Television), author and music historian Steven C. Smith (A Heart at Fire's Center: The Life and Music of Bernard Herrmann), music historians John Morgan and William T. Stromberg, writer/producer David Simkins (Lois & Clark, Dark Angel), writer Mark Fergus (Children of Men, Iron Man), actor William Reynolds and director Ted Post (new)

Extremely rare, never-before-released unofficial Twilight Zone pilot, "The Time Element," written by Rod Serling and hosted by Desi Arnaz (new, in HD)

Vintage audio recollections with actors Burgess Meredith and Anne Francis, directors Douglas Heyes and Richard L. Bare, producer Buck Houghton and writer Richard Matheson

Rod Serling audio lectures from Sherwood Oaks College

Rod Serling promos for "Next Week's" Show

Original Unaired Pilot Version of "Where is Everybody?" with Rod Serling's Network Pitch

Footage of the Emmy Award wins for the series

Interviews with actors Dana Dillaway, Suzanne Lloyd, Beverly Garland and Ron Masak (new)

Tales of Tomorrow episode "What You Need" (new)

Vintage audio interview with director of photography George T. Clemens (new)

1977 syndication promos for "A Stop at Willoughby" and "The After Hours" (new)

18 radio dramas (new)

34 isolated music scores featuring Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith and others (new)

↑↑↑↑↑↑ THAT IS AWESOME!

I don't think anyone posted this yet:

51vTtQS%2BQdL.jpg

Warner Home Video has announced a 2-disc Blu-ray release of The Exorcist for October 5th. Newly remastered in 1080p from the original camera negative, the Blu-ray includes both the remastered Extended Director's Cut as well as the remastered theatrical version of the film. Extras will include a commentary by William Friedkin, a director introduction to the theatrical cut, featurettes ("Raising Hell: Filming the Exorcist", "The Exorcist Locations: Georgetown Then and Now", "Faces of Evil: The Different Versions of The Exorcist"), interviews, Sketches & Storyboards, trailers and TV spots from the 1973 and 2000 versions, and more. The Blu-ray release will also be packaged with a personal letter written by Friedkin inside a 40-page Blu-ray Digibook featuring striking photos, cast bios, revealing production notes and more.

Looking forward to it.

I'd toss the 2000 version "you've never seen!" of The Exorcist in the trash. Just the theatrical version for me. Directors forget they cut all that crap out for a reason.

Agreed. I hope Friedkin hasn't screwed around with anything, especially after what he did for The French Connection.

I watched a few of the bonus features from French Connection and I really couldn't stand to listen to Friedkin. "This is how I always wanted it to be, blah, blah, blah..." You know, the George Lucas shtick. SHUT UP. But still, the movie was as amazing as always. Somehow, I just didn't care about the colors and grain. It transcended the wacky presentation (which still isn't THAT bad a lot of the time).

I'd toss the 2000 version "you've never seen!" of The Exorcist in the trash. Just the theatrical version for me. Directors forget they cut all that crap out for a reason.

i thought the "version you've never seen" was actually creepier with the spiderwalk sequence added . I don't really want to see that film again since I saw it in the theater in 2002 (was it 2000 or 2002 they re-released it theatrically?)

Anyways if I get a PS3 I get Blu Ray. I've been thinking about it. Then I can also choose the best version of games too

Plus you will get to play Demon's Souls and the incredible Uncharted series ;)

I've just ordered Demon's Souls and I must say I'm apprehensive about making a start on it, even scared - I've heard it's the hardest game in years and I just hope I can hack it.

Or movie studios make them put back things in. DC or SE versions boost sales.

I've just ordered Demon's Souls and I must say I'm apprehensive about making a start on it, even scared - I've heard it's the hardest game in years and I just hope I can hack it.

I played for about 6 hours. 2 hours each time, each time a new game. It's too hard, and on the slow side. I would have sold you mine. I've been meaning to give it another go, but it got buried under a pile of new games. I'll probably never play it again.

It's probably one these games where you have to be very patient until you reach a high enough level to start not sucking

I've read up quite a lot on it; it's not about player level (refreshingly), bu rather individual player skill and tactics, and apparently that's the rewarding beauty of it - each attempt at a section or boss requires great dexterity and caution from the player and one will only move forward after mastering that particular environment and it's nuances. The "reward" (and loot) for finally beating a current challenge is said to be quite immense in terms of player satisfaction and sense of achievement and that basically the entire game is made up of constant risk reward situations.

An Internet connection is an absolute must though - the "ghosts" of other players whom are currently in the same dungeon are encountered frequently, and players can periodically 'team up' in order to beat a section or monster, before [silently] saying their goodbyes and going it alone again. Again, the reward is there - this time it's a feeling of camaraderie. Also, games like this always feature scrolls which are lying around, right? Well in this game the scrolls are written and left by previous players, whom have left behind them tips and instructions on how to beat the next monster, or avoid the next booby-trap or solve the next puzzle. That's a stroke of genius, if you ask me.

My cousin has been playing it and he's quite far, indeed he reckons it's doable, with patience. He reckons I'll get through it - after all: back in the eighties and early nighties, games didn't have the adjustable 'difficultly' settings of today; they were all just one difficulty and they were nearly all rock hard, so I'm thinking it's just a case of refinding my old gaming sensibilities: patience, determination and perseverance (with the odd bit of controller throwing) will see me through. Relatively speaking, it's uncommon for words like "original" "ingenious" and "masterpiece" to be bandied about a game these days, so I really want to see what the fuss is about and I don't want to miss out on what is being called a genre defining rpg.

And I've just remembered this is the wrong thread.

I was like you, Quint. I thought I'd be able to do it, until I actually played it. It's impossible. And the "online" mode and messages aren't always good. People can leave misleading messages to get you killed, and they can also kill you and steal your souls instead of helping you. Also I could never team up with somebody because you have to be alive in order to request help. Once you die and are in soul form, you can only help others. I was able to get one guy once, but he walked around for 5 seconds and then left.

I pre-ordered the Back To The Future Trilogy for Blu-Ray which according to Amazon is coming out October 26th, this year.

Koray or anyone for that fact...do you know where I can go to download really good high resolution Blu-Ray covers?

Not true. They were released on December 8th, 2009.

I'd expect to see 3 & 4 in December 2010.

Not true. They were released on December 8th, 2009.

I'd expect to see 3 & 4 in December 2010.

try 10-19-10 for POA and GOF

Releasing a Harry Potter movie in October would be quite silly indeed

Deathly Hallows I comes out November 19 2010

Deathly Hallows II comes out July 15 2011

And yes, the blu rays comes out October 19th:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEKYlTMQ3d6TOO