Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

The original film will be released by Criterion at the end of March. I've heard good things, and kinda want to buy it but am put off by the 4-hour running time.

4 hours?! What version are they advertising? The reigion 2 DVD running time is only 170 mins.

the American version only points to how overblown the foreign version is: dull boring and the worst word applied to any movie, SLOW.

Actually, Soderdergh assembled a longer cut, but then trimmed it. I understand that the docking sequence was meant to be twice as long, with the main titles playing over it.

Anyway, it's not "dull, boring, and slow", it's leisurely, stately, and extremely moving. You have to look with better eyes than that.

Does the Solarian stuff appear in any of these films or they just use the floating station and stamp Solaris on the title?

Not sure what you mean, Chaac. Can you explain?

Does anyone know whose voices are on the English dubbed version.

sorry Richard I found it slow. It was one of those OMG I never thought it would end films.

sorry Richard I found it slow. It was one of those OMG I never thought it would end films.

Yeah, it is slow, but I still like it. In the end, I guess that it really doesen't matter who likes what, Joey, as long as films and music are being discussed. That's the important thing.

The original is 170mins?

There's no way I'll be sitting through it, then. Long, slow movies get on my nerves nowadays.

Actually, it's 180mns., but since DVD runs at 25 fps...

also watched Jaws,

for some reason this film becomes more exceptional with each viewing. The acting is superb, full of testosterone. The Oscars didn't have to balls to recognize this. Shaw gives one of the all time great supporting male performances of a man barely staying on the edge. Oh there is some cool action too.

It looks so great on DVD, I'm anxious for the blu version, we'll be able to see each salt water drop.

also watched Jaws,

for some reason this film becomes more exceptional with each viewing. The acting is superb, full of testosterone. The Oscars didn't have to balls to recognize this. Shaw gives one of the all time great supporting male performances of a man barely staying on the edge. Oh there is some cool action too.

It looks so great on DVD, I'm anxious for the blu version, we'll be able to see each salt water drop.

"Jaws"? Pure crapola!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaws on Blu-ray would become like a miokshi shrine for me, and I would give it human sacrifices.

name them Chrissy, Alex, Ben, Quint, and Pipet.

Them's fightin' words!

Now now, pixie, he ain't hurting nobody...

I only meant it as a joke, Pixie, just to illustrate the slightly absurd (if not fanatical) nature of some of these threads. Perhaps I should have said "Jaws? Pure crapola!!!!!!!!!" :P

So, apologies, etc., if my humour is a little esoteric at times.

P.S., I love "Jaws".

And the poor stunt guy from E.T.

Do you mean Ted Grossman?

This is what I am getting tomorrow, if I have time:

510U8cidkqL.jpg

Comes out tomorrow. I think it is a very underrated film. Not sure how many here are fans of Jim Carey (at any phase of his career) but this is one of my favorites of his. It's strange dark comedy that has a very true social commentary that I think is even more relevant today. And for those that like the movie it has a great amount of bonus features, and even has Jim Carey as part of the commentary (which he has never done before).

Is it as bad as Predator?

I haven't seen Predator on blu yet, but of the many blu rays I've watched, this one uses DNR most noticeably; there is very little fine detail left, and faces look waxy throughout (even in the second, Skynet Edition).

There's two. The first one (which has the Predator on the cover with a blue tint) shows the film's age, but is ok. The second - the "Hunter edition" - should be avoided at all costs.

That's a lot of fucking Criterion! And at $30+ a pop, a lot of money spent!

I love Criterion to death, they by far have the best film releases. Unbeatable transfers and just overall packaging and respect to the filmmakers and their process. It's unfortunate they have to charge so much for those wonderful packages.

I can work with $25 and below, but when you see titles like Seven Samurai at $37. It's just ridiculous. With that being said, I decided to make my first Fellini purchase, and got their Blu release of .

Other Criterion titles I own:

Bottle Rocket

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

The Darjeeling Limited

Days Of Heaven

The Thin Red Line

Not sure if I have another one or not.

I'm eagerly awaiting when they'll get to Badlands and Rushmore. Odd that they picked, in my opinion, Anderson's two worst films to release first.

I buy most of my Criterions at the Barnes & Noble 50% off sale.

I just bought The Red Shoes, Army of Darkness, and Modern Times during Criterion's 13 hour 50% off sale on their website.

Supposedly, Life Aquatic is the next Anderson Criterion.

And I heard they bought the rights to Chris Nolan's Following.

Also, I Netflixed Monsters on Thursday.

I bought it on amazon.com immediately after.

That's a whole other thing. If I love a movie but the transfer happens to be crappy then I happily buy the Blu-ray. I can't worship unintented bad quality.

There's two. The first one (which has the Predator on the cover with a blue tint) shows the film's age, but is ok. The second - the "Hunter edition" - should be avoided at all costs.

I saw "The Hunter Edition" at Wal-Mart the other day. Why should it be avoided at all costs?

I love Criterion to death, they by far have the best film releases. Unbeatable transfers and just overall packaging and respect to the filmmakers and their process. It's unfortunate they have to charge so much for those wonderful packages.

It's even worse over here. Criterion seem to code all of their releases are region A, and once something is out on Criterion, it apparently either gets no European release at all or a crappy one. So whenever a movie is released by criterion, I have to import it (and I'm one of the lucky few to actually be able to play them).

I buy most of my Criterions at the Barnes & Noble 50% off sale.

I just bought The Red Shoes, Army of Darkness, and Modern Times during Criterion's 13 hour 50% off sale on their website.

Is that sale still going on? That's how I got Bottle Rocket and Days Of Heaven for $20 each. I checked and B&N's prices are insane as always. They're only $5 off, still a whopping $35 a piece. Amazon is infinitely better.

It's even worse over here. Criterion seem to code all of their releases are region A, and once something is out on Criterion, it apparently either gets no European release at all or a crappy one. So whenever a movie is released by criterion, I have to import it (and I'm one of the lucky few to actually be able to play them).

I agree. I wish I had a multi-region BD player. My only issue with Criterion is that they're sometimes expensive.

I saw "The Hunter Edition" at Wal-Mart the other day. Why should it be avoided at all costs?

It's DNR'd to hell, to the point where Arnie looks like a wax doll and his polo shirt has a smooth sheen like a Ferrari bonnet.

I'm thinking of buying American Beauty and Gladiator. Two examples of great movies that should look amazing in high def.

I know the initial issue of Gladiator had serious DNR issues and it was repressed - anyone have this and can comment? I'm aware the film is very grainy.

A rip I have of American Beauty looks nice and sharp too.

I have the repressed Gladiator and it looks incredible - I bought it for £7 in Asda.

Is the box art different on the proper, fixed release, Charlie?

Yeah, I posted before I noticed another page in the thread.

My main concern is that I'm trying to avoid making the mistake I did with DVDs - buying any old rubbish because it's cheap. It's got to be good, have repeat value, and look stunning.

Yeah, I posted before I noticed another page in the thread.

My main concern is that I'm trying to avoid making the mistake I did with DVDs - buying any old rubbish because it's cheap. It's got to be good, have repeat value, and look stunning.

that's the basis for my purchases as well.

I've bought plenty of DVDs blindly just because I wanted to see the film and because the DVD was considerably cheaper than a theatre ticket. I'm still waiting for Blu to get there.

I've bought plenty of DVDs blindly just because I wanted to see the film and because the DVD was considerably cheaper than a theatre ticket. I'm still waiting for Blu to get there.

Oh, this happens to me all the time here. I often see blus on sale for $9.99; even with a student discount I usually don't get a theater ticket for that price where I live.

Over here they're generally in the £10 - £15 range, which isn't too bad. But equivalent DVDs are going for £3 new on Amazon.

I've been searching for titles that have isolated scores, but I always have most of them on DVD, and usually the BDs retain 5.1/2.0, rather than lossless. Or they're only the BD equivalent of R1.

So far, the only ones I have genuine interest in are Gladiator and 1408. The latter doesn't seem to be generally available here yet.