Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I disagree. It's my favourite Potter film precisely because it doesn't feel like the book. It's the only Potter film that rises above being a mere "adaptation" and manages to feel purely cinematic. The closing section of the movie especially (all the time turner stuff) is far more exciting than it is in the book (in which it all happens in the space of one or two brief chapters). Also, Steef nailed it when he used the term "joie de vivre". That's exactly what this film has. When watching the first two films, while they are nonetheless very good, I can see where each chapter of the book ends and the next begins. It makes the films seem a little pedestrian and ploddy. The later films suffer by cutting too much out of the books and losing some of the youthful fun in the process, therefore feeling like poor adaptations (films 4-6). Azkaban manages to get all the main points of the story across in a fluid, stylish, and cinematic way, without ever losing sight of the child-like excitement and fun. Is it perfect? No, of course not. I still wish they'd found a moment to explain who Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs were (it would have made more sense of Harry's climactic Patronus scene). BUT, as a pure movie it is easily the best of the series.

I disagree. It's my favourite Potter film precisely because it doesn't feel like the book.

Really? It's got all the main points and the humour and all! The tone is pure Potter.

It's the only Potter film that rises above being a mere "adaptation" and manages to feel purely cinematic. The closing section of the movie especially (all the time turner stuff) is far more exciting than it is in the book (in which it all happens in the space of one or two brief chapters). Also, Steef nailed it when he used the term "joie de vivre". That's exactly what this film has. When watching the first two films, while they are nonetheless very good, I can see where each chapter of the book ends and the next begins. It makes the films seem a little pedestrian and ploddy. The later films suffer by cutting too much out of the books and losing some of the youthful fun in the process, therefore feeling like poor adaptations (films 4-6). Azkaban manages to get all the main points of the story across in a fluid, stylish, and cinematic way, without ever losing sight of the child-like excitement and fun.

I agree.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. I still wish they'd found a moment to explain who Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs were (it would have made more sense of Harry's climactic Patronus scene). BUT, as a pure movie it is easily the best of the series.

I didn't really miss that in the film, but that's just me.

Miss it or not, it would have taken literally 15 seconds to explain, and wouldn't have HURT the film in any possible way, but would have HELPED the film in many ways.

I do miss that. Every time I watch the scene where Lupin is packing his belongings away at the end of the film I keep expecting him to turn to Harry and say "Oh by the way..." but it never happens. :)

Miss it or not, it would have taken literally 15 seconds to explain, and wouldn't have HURT the film in any possible way, but would have HELPED the film in many ways.

I know, but other than the patronus...

I keep hearing this argument a lot about many things left out of the Potter movies. But don't you think adding just a small line would lead to a dozen more unanswered questions?

It explains why the map exists, why Lupin knew what it was, and reminds the audience of how James Peter Sirius and Lupin were all great friends and the lengths James Peter and Sirius went to to help their friend Lupin

A few well chosen lines scattered throughout the film would have worked well, allowing the audience to get used to the idea, and to make all the associated connections. I would have liked Mooney, Wormtail, and Padfoot to have been explained earlier in the film (after the shrieking shack of course). Then after the climactic dementor scene with the stag, Lupin could have told Harry about his father being Prongs. It would have been a lovely emotional moment.

Actually, it would all have to have been explained at the end, wouldn't it. There's no time for Lupin to talk to Harry after the shrieking shack...

A few well chosen lines scattered throughout the film would have worked well, allowing the audience to get used to the idea, and to make all the associated connections. I would have liked Mooney, Wormtail, and Padfoot to have been explained earlier in the film (after the shrieking shack of course). Then after the climactic dementor scene with the stag, Lupin could have told Harry about his father being Prongs. It would have been a lovely emotional moment.

Actually, it would all have to have been explained at the end, wouldn't it. There's no time for Lupin to talk to Harry after the shrieking shack...

Interesting.

I never fully understod why Harry's patronus had that form anyway. If Harry already knew the story he might hav been thinking on it subconciously. But if he didn't?

Interesting.

I never fully understod why Harry's patronus had that form anyway. If Harry already knew the story he might hav been thinking on it subconciously. But if he didn't?

This is the first time I've been reminded of that since reading the book.

I see so many films where a tiny bit of information or plot device that doesn't relate to the primary story, is introduced, and gives the story more significance later. It just disappoints me that the writer / director didn't see these connections, and the emotional resonance pixie mentioned above.

not really, she's a whorish looking piece of trash, so many better looking hot women

plus she's done nothing to be called by one name.

I know what's hot and what's not, and she's not. I can say this with any desire to or not to tap it. Her ass is that big to smuggle the drugs in from her home country.

I know what's hot and what's not, and she's not. I can say this with any desire to or not to tap it. Her ass is that big to smuggle the drugs in from her home country.

Fortunately, there are many men in this world who don't share your taste in women. A, because everyone needs some lovins, and 2, because otherwise the human population would die off when their Obama-care ran out, but that's neither here nor there.

Besides, you make it sound like a fat ass is bad thing. There's a difference between a healthy Latin butt, which Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll certainly has, and someone like this.

fat_ass1.jpg

Drugs? Don't see no drugs, but damn, this woman smuggled her whole country with her.

like I said she looks like a whore, so many better looking women out there. what is she, a singer, dancer, certainly not an entertainer.

yes everyone needs love, even the lady whose picture I will not click on.

Stefan, she may indeed be better than Britany, but she's not as pretty, and I think Britany's voice is better. clearly the hoochie mamma is the better bootie shaker.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a few 12$ Blue Ray movies at costco, just to say I have a few on my shelf. I still don't plan on "collecting " movies

The Matrix

Dark Knight

Sky Captain

Watchmen directors's cut

The only movies I desire to collect are my favorites. My list is now something like this:

E.T.

Indiana Jones Trilogy

Jaws

Hook

Catch Me If You Can

Schindler's List

Always

Titanic

I would also get any other Spielberg production.

• 1 month later...

I've beefed up my collection considerably.

I got The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Burn After Reading, and the Coen Brothers Collection in Blu. A massive release of their catalogue titles in such a short time = Bliss.

Also picked up Collateral and am waiting for a bunch of Criterion's to show up on my doorstep.

Bought in July while visiting Schladming, Austria:

51J1Wo1sNrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

THAT's how you'll remember Austria?

That's one of my favorites! Way better than Armageddon, IMO.

Better than Armageddon for sure, but that's not hard. ;)

I got The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Burn After Reading, and the Coen Brothers Collection in Blu. A massive release of their catalogue titles in such a short time = Bliss.

I really wish they'll release The Hudsucker Proxy someday soon. That's always been my favourite Coen, and the only DVD release it ever got was pretty bad.

I really wish they'll release The Hudsucker Proxy someday soon. That's always been my favourite Coen, and the only DVD release it ever got was pretty bad.

Hopefully the rest isn't far off. I love The Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty, probably their two worst received films.

Bought in July while visiting Schladming, Austria:

51J1Wo1sNrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

THAT's how you'll remember Austria?

LOL, no :D Luckily, I've already had many chances to visit Austria, being a neighbouring country and all, so I've already been to Vienna (twice! :P), Salzburg, Graz, Klagenfurt, Villach, Bischofshofen and Schladming! :D I know it might be slightly off-topic, but this year, I'll remember my visit of Austria mainly because of this great orchestra:

DSC_1961.jpg

It's the World Youth Wind Orchestra Project 2011, and this year we've played a lot of great wind music by Steven Bryant, Jonathan Newman, Karel Husa, Arturo Márquez, Thomas Trachsel and Oliver Waespi. It was a great, great week and I can't wait to go again next year! :)

This was also very memorable:

DSC_2427.jpg

The Dachstein glacier and Sky-walk. Awesome experience! :)