Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

The article mentions "well documented deleted scenes." Does anyone have a link where these are discussed? I remember the first time I watched the VHS and I was surprised that there were some moments that I distinctly remember from the theatrical version that weren't there. It's been a long time since then, but I still seem to remember 1) Ellie discussing the lilac berries and the stones, 2) extended banter between Lex and Tim before Grant finds the Velociraptor egg, and 3) additional footage of Nedry with the dilophosaurus.

I probably buy too many movies on Blu-ray but when they get under 10 dollars, it's hard not to buy a decent movie or even a blind buy...Outlander...cough cough.

There's no reason to own a bunch of movies on blu ray when it's so easy to just rent a blu ray for a buck or stream a movie you want to see online

that is not a viable option in many places. There is plenty of reason to own a bunch of movies on blu ray. It's called personal choice. I buy my blu rays because of extras.

I've barely begun with all the stuff on Ben Hur.

First Blu Ray Review for the Jurassic Park Trilogy on Blu:

http://hcc.techradar...lu-ray-05-10-11

Seems as if the PQ is similar to the HD broadcasts, with film grain and not very much DNR for all 3 films. The AQ is said to be perfect, basically, as expected. And the new documentary seems to be well-made, and honest, and even features tributes to Stan Winston and Michael Crichton, and even touches on Jurassic Park- The Ride.

Hopefully the score is better sound in the rear channels!

The article mentions "well documented deleted scenes." Does anyone have a link where these are discussed? I remember the first time I watched the VHS and I was surprised that there were some moments that I distinctly remember from the theatrical version that weren't there. It's been a long time since then, but I still seem to remember 1) Ellie discussing the lilac berries and the stones, 2) extended banter between Lex and Tim before Grant finds the Velociraptor egg, and 3) additional footage of Nedry with the dilophosaurus.

Below are links to documented deleted scenes, even some with pictures:

JP:

http://www.jplegacy....cpark/jpc.shtml

TLW:

http://www.jplegacy....ark2/tlwc.shtml

JP3:

http://www.jplegacy....ark3/jp3c.shtml

For those wondering how they know so much information about them, they also have the final (or close to final) shooting scripts from the film (available to read at the bottom of the page for each film at the links), and with the help of the pictures released in various novelizations and other books, were able to pinpoint that some of the scenes not in the film were indeed shot.

Ben Hur is actually one movie that I would consider buying the Blu Ray setup for.

Does it have the documentary narrated by Christopher Plummer? I bought the collector's edition VHS set about seven years ago for $5 brand new, and really only kept it because the box is so schnazzy, and it has that documentary. I can't check the $10 DVD to see if it has it because....I don't know which box I put it in.

Ben Hur is actually one movie that I would consider buying the Blu Ray setup for.

Does it have the documentary narrated by Christopher Plummer? I bought the collector's edition VHS set about seven years ago for $5 brand new, and really only kept it because the box is so schnazzy, and it has that documentary. I can't check the $10 DVD to see if it has it because....I don't know which box I put it in.

I haven't even begun to look at the extras. I actually have only watched disk 1, which is the first half of the film. It's picture rivals Avatar and Beauty and the Beast. The audio is really really good. The themes have been stuck in my head all week and I have not minded at all.

I am not a fan of citizen kane, it's dreadfully uninteresting to me story wise, visually it's more interesting. I don't want to see it again.

Citizen Kane reminds me of days when I used to have to write English essays. There's just so much there to think about, to absorb, and after watching it I should imagine I'd find it very easy and enjoyable to put pen to paper. It's not a favourite of mine by any measure, but my god do I respect it.

Citizen Kane is the type of film you watch because everyone says you must because it's so brilliant. I guess it is. I guess it played an important part in film history. Like Battleship Potemkin, or Birth Of A Nation.

That sounds like a perfect reason to stay away from such films.

If everyone else was jumping off a bridge, I wouldn't follow, and I certainly wouldn't buy the Blu. I'd probably go loot their houses or something.

BTW, I never saw those three movies.

I saw that, fommes.

ugh, I mean I'm definitely picking up the JP blu's asap, but I just don't know why Speilberg won't sign off on freakin deleted scenes, sans the two from TLW.

I pre-ordered the extended cut for green lantern today, so..I guess that's my latest purchase.

I agree with you, although isn't it odd that he even released those two deleted scenes from TLW? I mean I'm still pissed we haven't seen more (not even from JP3, which wasn't even a Spielberg film!). But it is really rare for him to ever release any deleted scenes at all, probably due to his similiar belief that commentaries over a film ruin the film experience, so maybe having deleted scenes to a film ruin an experience if they aren't properly integrated to a film? Or maybe he feels they are just pointless because "the picture is the picture". Of course his rare cases are 1941, Close Encounters, and E.T. (well... not anymore with E.T.... muhahaha) since he apparently wasn't happy with their theatrical cuts.

Citizen Kane is the type of film you watch because everyone says you must because it's so brilliant. I guess it is. I guess it played an important part in film history. Like Battleship Potemkin, or Birth Of A Nation.

That sounds like a perfect reason to stay away from such films.

If everyone else was jumping off a bridge, I wouldn't follow, and I certainly wouldn't buy the Blu. I'd probably go loot their houses or something.

BTW, I never saw those three movies.

I saw that, fommes.

so did I but I also posted it, but decided to delete it so no further disagreements would be created over it, still english is not the fking queens property,

I don't respect Citizen Kane, I enjoy technial aspects of the film but it's a cold fish, it's like a corpse that doesn't move during sex.

The only black and white film I own on Blu is Psycho. It is stunning in Blu except like many Blu discs the peoples eyes are silvery reflective.

I agree with you, although isn't it odd that he even released those two deleted scenes from TLW? I mean I'm still pissed we haven't seen more (not even from JP3, which wasn't even a Spielberg film!). But it is really rare for him to ever release any deleted scenes at all, probably due to his similiar belief that commentaries over a film ruin the film experience, so maybe having deleted scenes to a film ruin an experience if they aren't properly integrated to a film? Or maybe he feels they are just pointless because "the picture is the picture". Of course his rare cases are 1941, Close Encounters, and E.T. (well... not anymore with E.T.... muhahaha) since he apparently wasn't happy with their theatrical cuts.

I can see where he's coming from, but he doesn't have to integrate them into the movie...just have them as a bonus feature.

JP3 Needs the deleted scenes the most though, if by some chance we at least got an extended version of it, it would improve it greatly.

This is coming from a fan of JP3 itself.

Oh. In that case, I think the ending is ridiculous and betrays the film. Which is just a discussion on Malick's own cognitive dissonance.

I like that word: "cognitive", because it's the kind of word people use to sound smart, even if they don't know what it means. But I got chills everytime I hear it. "cognitive"... ouhouhou... "cognitive!!"... *shudders*

http://en.wikipedia....tive_dissonance

I knew what this was even before I had a name for it.

Was anybody talking about Citizen Kane on this page?

Yes xD

but it's a cold fish, it's like a corpse that doesn't move during sex.

Can you also explain why?

If I did, it would involve emotion, not something you grasp well.

Oh. In that case, I think the ending is ridiculous and betrays the film. Which is just a discussion on Malick's own cognitive dissonance.

I like that word: "cognitive", because it's the kind of word people use to sound smart, even if they don't know what it means. But I got chills everytime I hear it. "cognitive"... ouhouhou... "cognitive!!"... *shudders*

how accurate, it's such a bullcrap word...cognitive, basically thinking about thinking, it's cousin to the word cogent another word people use when they need others to think they are smart.

Has anyone bought the US special edition blu of Planet Earth?

I ask because several reviews mention an isolated score, and I'm dying to know whether they've made the same screwup they did with the UK version (music + effects, instead of just music).

I'm wondering the same thing, Richard! :)

Btw, did anyone know that Criterion is releasing Gojira/Godzilla: KIng of the Monsters on Blu early next year? Here are the bonus features. Sorry if this is already posted earlier:

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

• Audio commentary by David Kalat (A Critical History and Filmography of Toho’s Godzilla Series)

• New high-definition digital restoration of Godzilla: King of the Monsters!, Terry Morse’s 1956 reworking of the original, starring Raymond Burr

• Audio commentary for Godzilla: King of the Monsters! by Kalat

• New interviews with actor Akira Takarada (Hideto Ogata), Godzilla performer Haruo Nakajima, and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai

• Interview with legendary Godzilla score composer Akira Ifukube

• Featurette detailing Godzilla’s photographic effects

• New interview with Japanese-film critic Tadao Sato

• The Unluckiest Dragon, an illustrated audio essay featuring historian Greg Pflugfelder describing the tragic fate of the fishing vessel Daigo fukuryu maru, a real-life event that inspired Godzilla

• Theatrical trailers

• New and improved English subtitle translation

• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic J. Hoberman

If you were on facebook, you would know that mark O has had a Blu-ray player for many weeks now.

I refuse to participate in the clusterfuck known as facebook. it will only lead to mass extinction of the human race.