Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

We have a non-winking thumbs up, you know

: up: = :up:

I like the one he used better than the one you suggested. but I do like there are more choices.

I prefer the winking smiley for most uses, as well.

And if Facebook weren't so widely used (particularly by younger folks like myself), I wouldn't go anywhere near it. The majority of changes that've happened in the four years since I joined have been negative. Used to be so much more simple and streamlined, and that was part of the appeal.

Well in a couple weeks it's making its most radical change. I wonder how people will respond. Everyone's profiles will turn into Timelines, as they call it. All developers already have it, so I created a fake app to be able to upgrade. It's alright so far, but I think I prefer the simplicity of a normal profile page.

I'm looking forward to Cleopatra Bluray in January 2012 and I hope it gets the treatment Ben Hur BLuray did!

Also, I'd love to see another one of my favourite Elizabeth Taylor films in Bluray, Raintree County!

I'm looking forward to Cleopatra Bluray in January 2012 and I hope it gets the treatment Ben Hur BLuray did!

Also, I'd love to see another one of my favourite Elizabeth Taylor films in Bluray, Raintree County!

it will not get the treatment that Ben Hur got, very few films do.

I hope so too. Looking at the latest DVD release of Cleopatra, the film has already been fully restored so I guess the Blu-ray will look absolutely stunning. Yes, Cleopatra is obviously flawed but man there's a lot to be savored. Set wise it blows Rome (HBO) out of the water.

Alex

Hey Koray, I saw where Night of the Hunter was down to 26.49 on blu. Now I'm interested.

I picked up Lion King last week. Awesome, just awesome. I was really happy it was the theatrical version without the added song from the IMAX/DVD. Ugh.

An annoyance I've meant to comment on many times is the knack for placing current updated studio logos in front of older movies. I absolutely love the current Walt Disney Pictures logo, but it just isn't right in front of Lion King. The original logo is also wonderful. It's more basic in comparison, but perhaps superior. It sort of conceals the magic contained within. Kind of like the old Lucasfilm logo.

An annoyance I've meant to comment on many times is the knack for placing current updated studio logos in front of older movies. I absolutely love the current Walt Disney Pictures logo, but it just isn't right in front of Lion King. The original logo is also wonderful. It's more basic in comparison, but perhaps superior. It sort of conceals the magic contained within. Kind of like the old Lucasfilm logo.

+1

I picked up Lion King last week. Awesome, just awesome. I was really happy it was the theatrical version without the added song from the IMAX/DVD. Ugh.

I'm furious about the fact that they removed the clouds as simba is chasing them, when his father appears to him. Now he runs to nothing!

Some say that it was an error and not a deliberate removal!

They did it with Toy Story too, and that's worse because the original logo blended with Newman's score. With the new one, the first track fades in on the double brass bit. Robbed my nostalgia there... Lucas would be proud :P

I rarely buy a blu-ray for over $20. I skip the special features and get the Wal-Mart movie-only package unless it's one of my obsessions (Harry Potter, JP, Star Wars, etc).

Here in Greece all new blurays are around $45!!

I wanted to get GOne with the wind and while the big collector's box with 3 blurays in amazon is around $42 here (WITHOUT the big box and only 2 blurays) it's $111!!!!!!!!!

same for wizard of oz and similar editions..

They did it with Toy Story too, and that's worse because the original logo blended with Newman's score. With the new one, the first track fades in on the double brass bit. Robbed my nostalgia there... Lucas would be proud :P

A real shame, I agree.

I didn't even know about further changes to Lion King. There was nothing I noticed during my viewing. To a more casual fan like myself, Lion King's changes are less Star Wars Special Edition and more Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD. Still, I'm not exactly cool with the Disney animators returning to older movies and editing them, but **** if I noticed. Then again, I hadn't watched it through on a TV since VHS.

In other news, E.T. has definitely got to be on the way. Deadstock of the 20th gift set is suddenly being dumped on the cheap and NECA announced a 30th anniversary merchandise line. I saw that E.T. box set at Newbury Comics for $25, which is a hilariously good deal.

Today I got Poltergeist Blu-ray book and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Really excited for the coming weeks when the Jurassic Parks and Hook are released!

There's the above mentioned IMAX version of LK, which adds a lame song. The DVD had both versions via seamless branching. I watched the extended version once and then decided to ignore it in the future.

The logo replacement seems to apply to all Disney titles, at least the animated ones. Even classics from 50+ years ago now have the 3D Disney castle animation before the feature. As it's not directly edited into the film's opening, I wouldn't mind - if they'd just kept the original logo titles after it.

I rarely buy a blu-ray for over $20. I skip the special features and get the Wal-Mart movie-only package unless it's one of my obsessions (Harry Potter, JP, Star Wars, etc).

I'm all about the special features. I want to learn about the film, I find that facinating.

The Alien Anthology and the Ben Hur Blu are the two best examples of what can be done with extras.

I get entertainment value and historical value.

In other news, E.T. has definitely got to be on the way. Deadstock of the 20th gift set is suddenly being dumped on the cheap and NECA announced a 30th anniversary merchandise line. I saw that E.T. box set at Newbury Comics for $25, which is a hilariously good deal.

Where have you been? Spielberg openly talked about it at a panel and asked the audience if they would be upset if the 20th anniversary version wasn't included. They yelled no and he said "So be it."

I'm all about the special features. I want to learn about the film, I find that facinating.

The Alien Anthology and the Ben Hur Blu are the two best examples of what can be done with extras.

I get entertainment value and historical value.

Same here.

I definitely enjoy a good set of bonus material. There are very few new movies that I am interested in learning about how they were made. The Planet of the Apes blu ray set did a good job of adding some more bonus material that put the films in a historical/social context. That set was worth the upgrade. Plus its the only set that has the original version of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.

Don't get me wrong - I love the bonus features - I just won't pay for them unless it's a movie I love.

That reminds me - does anyone remember that show on Discovery Channel from the 90s that showed how movies were made? I think it was called Movie Magic or something like that. We need another one of those to satisfy my curiosity.

I got the Jurassic Park set from Best Buy. Watched Return to Jurassic Park documentary for the first movie. Good stuff. I previewed the first movie and it has a very fuzzy/grainy kind of look. It may be accurate, but I was slightly taken back by it.

I'm with you on that, and I thought the documentary was good, but given the kind of access Laurent apparently had, it could have been much better.

Also... where the hell is the girl that plays Kelly in the 2nd movie? They don't even mention her. I mean, sure she was kind of a pointless annoying character, but she IS the one human who kills a dinosaur in the entire trilogy... hahaha.

I'm with you on that, and I thought the documentary was good, but given the kind of access Laurent apparently had, it could have been much better.

Also... where the hell is the girl that plays Kelly in the 2nd movie? They don't even mention her. I mean, sure she was kind of a pointless annoying character, but she IS the one human who kills a dinosaur in the entire trilogy... hahaha.

i noticed the other day... only kids kill dinosaurs in JP films.

Tim and lex enclose one raptor in a, industrial frigorific chamber, that minutes later will be activated.

Kelly kills the raptor with gimnastics

Eric throws some pteranodon hatchlings off the cliffs...

John Williams' comments about Jurassic Park were all too brief. He mentioned finding the raptor kitchen scene pretty scary. The guy that played Tim had some nice things to say about the score.

The coverage of the first movie in terms of special features is pretty good. The new interviews are really fond remembrances of making the movie and its impact. Goldblum had a particularly funny comment about a generation of kids obsessed with the movie. It's by no means my favorite flick, but I'm certainly of that generation. I'll check out Lost World's features today.

I would recommend getting the set, especially after previewing the audio, which has gotten top marks. Everything, including the music, sounds sensational. But if you're more casual viewer as opposed to a fan, wait until massive price drops occur.

I had a look at a blu-rip and the picture upgrade really didn't seem anything to write home about. TLW still looks very fuzzy, and the original actually seems to have aged more.

I really think that only isolated scores would have ultimately got me to buy this, especially at the current price (3 of the 4 BDs I own have some form of isolated music feature).

And the kid from TLW was absolutely pointless, and worse, she's the reason for the conversation scene at the beginning which I can't believe wasn't cut from the film.

Return's Lost World coverage seemed to focus more on the technical aspects of the movie. Spielberg did mention the main cast aside from Kelly, but only Goldblum, Peter Stormare (?!), Lex and Tim did interviews. Williams didn't even seem to be interviewed regarding the sequel and there were no additional comments. Maybe he had a bad experience on that one? Spielberg's praise of the score seems a bit odd considering the amount of rejected and edited music. Probably the most edited and unused music in a Spielberg film.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone bought the US special edition blu of Planet Earth?

I ask because several reviews mention an isolated score, and I'm dying to know whether they've made the same screwup they did with the UK version (music + effects, instead of just music).

I can answer my own question - asked a reviewer at blu-ray.com: it's still music plus effects. Dammit. I was so ready to buy a third copy so I could rip the score from that.