Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

You got me all wrong you daft sod! I happen to love you xxx

Man up you little wussy!

Argh shit, I've just been informed there's another baby on the way!!!!!!!!!!.....

You tosser! Don't believe her when she said she took the pill. Stand by her when she takes is, WATCH her put the pill in her mouth, WATCH her drink the water, WATCH her gullet to see is she is swallowing!

Now you are f*cked!

Stefan, I'm an easy going guy and actually fucking ace. But yeah, I say what I think. I know for a fact that not everybody appreciates it and I've rubbed acquaintances up the wrong way in the past, but the people who really know me love me for it.

Well, unless you can talk her out of it, congratulations...

Nah, I'm actually really rather chuffed! I want my daughter to have someone to play with.

Congrats, Quint! :) I don't see myself ever going that route but I can't help getting a warm feeling out of the people that do. I have two sisters. I recommend the sibling thing, mainly because I can't imagine things being differently.

In Joey's eyes, it's boring and zero substance because he wasn't emotionally entertained by the story or the characters. There's no need to look any further.

your stupid assumtions show you know shit about me. of course a pea brain like yourself imagines all sorts of social commentary and intellectual engagements within the film. its a bad film based on a bad comicbook.

I do a poor job of explaining its qualities but we don't "imagine" it. And in the case of the book it's got many cool things in the formal side that make it fun and have nothing to do with social commentary and intellectual things.

I say what I see, always have done. People in my life know me for this. I was neither rude nor disrespectful.

Alex, sorry if you took offense, but if it's any consultation I was in no way being mean-spirited as Joey was when he insulted you.

I wasn't being mean spirited, just honest on how I perceive Alex.His favorite films are devoid of emotion just as I see him. I am glad he likes emotion and is all about it. I may have misjudged him, just as he is wrong to see me as some sitcom homo, Just Joe.

btw Alex, a bunch of us are going to see Titanic in 3D at the Imax, wanna go?

I have both it and Serenity on Blu. It's sublime. Coincidentally, Serenity Limited Edition (with the cool box art) arrived only this morning. £7 on Amazon.

Sci-fi Magazine recently voted it the greatest science fiction show ever.

Oh and I couldn't stand Buffy.

Tip: Movie Serenity should be watched after you've seen the whole show.

Get it, Steef, it's a bargain. Like Star Wars, it's 'cowboys in space' but it feels way more spontaneous than them prequels. If only Whedon directed (and wrote) the Star Wars prequels ...

My favourite series finale ever.

That's it, Firefly avatar for March.

Like Star Wars, it's 'cowboys in space' but it feels way more spontaneous than them prequels.

"Feels more spontaneous"?

It's amusing that you are even comparing them!

What's with all the Firefly love in ere all of a sudden? Some turning up late to the party?

With regards to the sexy women, Christina Hendricks was at the peak of her sexuality in this.

Firefly is a great show, but Dollhouse is even better!

I've never seen Buffy or Angel

What's with all the Firefly love in ere all of a sudden? Some turning up late to the party?

With regards to the sexy women, Christina Hendricks was at the peak of her sexuality in this.

I don't get it, it wasn't half the show Space Above and Beyond was. it did feature a that hot Adam Baldwin.

I never saw the show except when flipping channels.

We have Serenity which Dave really likes and says I should watch it but it doesn't call to me.

Quite. It's on Netflix. I started to watch the pilot last night but realized I didn't want to actually pay attention to something so late, so I finished rewatching the seaQuest pilot instead. But I will get to Firefly, mark my words. It took me years to turn up late to the BSG party, and I loved it even after it got GOOFY.

Firely's pilot is its worst episode. I am not surprised Fox didn't want to air it right away

Similarly, the first 5 (!) episodes of Dollhouse were nothing special. But then from episode 6 to the end, its fucking GOLD. Amazing show.

I have no idea the name of the episode that Netflix considers to be "S1 E1," but it starts out with Fillion's character and others in a heavy firefight at nighttime trying to shoot down some kind of air/spacecraft. After it crashed beside him, I switched to something else, intending to revisit it when I have more time.

Fox didn't air them in order, but the DVD and blu rays are in order, and any listings in hulu or netflix or anything else like that would be in the right order.

Basically, Bloodboal is wasting your time and making you worry for nothing :lick:

(The episode you saw a part of, with them on land in battle, is the original pilot and the episode intended to be seen first. It's just that one that isn't very good, so Fox decided to air it as the season finale instead. Basically I'm saying: If you don't like that one, please watch the next episode anyway, as its more indicative of the tone the rest of the series has than the pilot)

It's the intended pilot, Wojo. Netflix are showing it in the correct order - the same as the home dvd/blu versions.

Oh - there was another Page. I hate it when that happens.

I have Firefly and Serenity on my Wish List on Amazon. Have been interested in it for awhile but haven't taken the plunge. In my brother's interview with Greg Edmonson, he spends a lot of time on Firefly. Basically, FOX hated the show and didn't want it to succeed at all.

Why would you buy a show you've never seen before? Just rent/stream it, then buy if you decide you like it imho

Firefly is a wonderful show. Yeah, some episodes aren't as good as the others, but a poor Firefly episode is way better than a great episode of most other shows.

And I love me some Jewel Staite as Kaylee. :wub: (We even named our daughter after her!)

I've got the Blu-ray of both the TV series and the movie on my Amazon wish list (even though I had owned the TV series on DVD prior to marriage, my soon-to-be-ex-wife felt she could take it when she left the house before I moved back in, but that's a whole 'nother story... And don't get me started on what she took of my Doctor Who book/DVD/Blu-ray/CD collection...)

But yeah, I highly recommend Firefly. If you're a fan of Joss Whedon in general, definitely worth a look. If you're still on the fence, try the Hulu route as recommended before plunking down the coin.

As a related aside, here's how I'd rank the Joss Whedon projects I've watched:

1. Firefly

2. Buffy

3. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

4. Angel

5. Dollhouse

!!!! How can you rank Dollhouse so low? The second season was SO. GOOD.!

And yea Jewel Staite as Kaylee was super hot. Why have I never seen her in anything else before or since?

Why would you buy a show you've never seen before? Just rent/stream it, then buy if you decide you like it imho

We've been over this. You rent, I buy. I use my Amazon Prime to watch stuff I otherwise wouldn't want to own, like Arrested Development. Firefly is a series I want to experience in the best quality possible.

I'm glad that I did not buy the complete series of BSG on DVD (or BR) because after watching it through once, I'm pretty sure I would never watch it again. I realize the DVD (or BR) has commentaries and behind the scenes features -- and the extra scenes* in the finale are not shown on the Netflix version -- but it would become a ~$100 paperweight on my shelf that I wouldn't want anymore.

* Scenes such as Laura Roslin's date with her student (not important), Boomer telling Adama back in the day that she'd "owe him one" (vaguely important considering Boomer's comments to Athena), and Chief Tyrrol's comment about living in the highlands (not important). Those aren't on Netflix because the Wiki mentioned them and I was like WTF.

But you have to get through the 'less good' first season first, right? I've just been having a look at the show and I have to say I'm put off. It's another one of those glossy high concept tv shows with ridiculously beautiful people in every scene and even more unbelievably ridiculous plots. I just can't watch that sort of stuff without rolling my eyes every five minutes.

But I'll get it for my girlfriend, since she liked Buffy and Angel.

But you have to get through the 'less good' first season first, right? I've just been having a look at the show and I have to say I'm put off. It's another one of those glossy high concept tv shows with ridiculously beautiful people in every scene and even more unbelievably ridiculous plots. I just can't watch that sort of stuff without rolling my eyes every five minutes.

But I'll get it for my girlfriend, since she liked Buffy and Angel.

Well, at least in Dollhouse all the ridiculously good looking people were actually part of the plot rather than just a representation what Hollywood thinks the world looks like.

I bought The Godfather a while back (Amazon had it for $25), and i just showed up today. About to watch the first one now. :)