Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Decided to pick this up after receiving the LLL CD. Can't really blame the sub par quality of the music since they hadn't done a restoration yet, but the picture quality is awful, the amount of DNR applied makes it look like an embossed image in Microsoft Photo Editor. Strangely the theatrical trailers included looked beautiful with all natural film grain present. It's not quite as bad as The Untouchables, so some dickhead at Paramount doesn't know what he's doing.

You can't always trust reviews on that site. The amount of detail that's been scrubbed out of the picture is very distracting.

well, i always see the reviews on that site, and I know they aren't usually favorable of DNR either. That's why it sounded strange to me.

Although I don't know if it's the same reviewer, with the other reviews i have seen..

Sweet. I like my 5 disc set but honestly the content would fit on 2 Blu Rays (dual-layer).

I wonder if there will be any new content? Or if they will spread the film(s) out over 2 layers to up the video bitrate?

Ultraviolet? And why would anyone who is buying that want the dvd?

I generally give them to my mom.

Ultraviolet is unimportant to me. I bought a big flat panel to allow for big viewing at home. I don't want to watch these movies on tiny phone or tablet displays.

they may announce the release date on Universal's Monster collection on Blu this week or next.

speculation is it will be a 9 film set, Dracula, Dracula(Spanish and better film), Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, The Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I would rather have Son of Frankestein that Phantom which already has it's own release.

I absolutely love most of these films. I have all the Legacy collections. I simply cannot rave enough about the Invisible Man which I think is a brilliant film on so many levels. Same with the Bride of Frankestein.

I've often said that I believe Spielberg used Creature as a sort of template for Jaws.

The Wolfman at it's heart isn't a horror film as much as it a tragedy.

I've heard these have had significant restorations. I do hope it shows. However I will not get rid of my Legacy Collections because I doubt Universal will bother with restorations or HD versions of the considerable sequels.

Does anyone know if the Ultraviolet movie with Milla Jovovich will get released on Ultraviolet?

Does anyone think they're dropping the ball if they don't?

Does anyone care?

I don't want any of the old Universal monster flicks, but I would entertain the 1979 Dracula in original technicolor. Speaking of 1970s flicks, King Kong? With all the cut scenes please.

I don't want any of the old Universal monster flicks, but I would entertain the 1979 Dracula in original technicolor. Speaking of 1970s flicks, King Kong? With all the cut scenes please.

shame on you.

My jedi powers are slipping, I thought my choking powers would have done you in by now.

So now I'm having to resort to some real dirty stuff. NO E.T. BLU RAY FOR YOU.

I won't be buying the avengers until it's dirt cheap.

I bought a few classic movies, for now my only auto-buy is Jaws and Indy box

I may get Hunger Games.

I want to see Prometheus to see if the Directors cut improves things but I'll rent it

it's the most overrated film since the Matrix. IMHO naturally cause if I don't put it someone will have a fking cow.

but it will be super successful on home video.

no doubt it will easily outsell Jaws or ET, and Indy too.

the extended blu's of the Lord of the Rings will be released individually soon.

I've always been curious how many people there are that want to own only 1 or 2 of the LOTR movies but not all three. Seems odd to me.

I would be happy with only the last one. I do enjoyed FOTR and ROTK, but I've never like TTT. I think our dvd of it has been watched once.

I will watch ROTK when it's on tv, I like it that much.

Look at it from a different point of view, do you want to own all FOUR of the Indiana Jones and the adventures of his life.

Well that's my point. For every other film franchise - including other trilogies like The Matrix, I get people wanting to only own one or 3. For the LOTR films I don't get it. Its always been one long movie to me, not 3 separate ones.

Okay I wasn't considering that.

I just don't think I personally could bare to sit through TTT again, but that's me, seemed like the most pointless endless battle.

I am not a Matrix fan but I can watch the first, but I don't ever want to see the sequels again. That would be torturous.

They were pretty bad. I wish they were even half as innovative as the first one. Oh well. I guess the Wachowski's were a two-hit wonder

Well that's my point. For every other film franchise - including other trilogies like The Matrix, I get people wanting to only own one or 3. For the LOTR films I don't get it. Its always been one long movie to me, not 3 separate ones.

This is how I've always seen it. One long journey/adventure.

I like having the complete trilogy on my shelf. It'd be weird to only have part of it. I will buy the Indy box set even though I didn't like 4. I own the Alien Anthology blu ray set even though I don't like 3 and 4.

I like having the complete trilogy on my shelf. It'd be weird to only have part of it. I will buy the Indy box set even though I didn't like 4. I own the Alien Anthology blu ray set even though I don't like 3 and 4.

but the beauty of the Alien Anthology set is all the extra's. even as bad as Alien 3 I love the fascinating extra's on the film.

I'm trading away all my dvd's to the Best Buy and other trade shops. I'd like to say I'll be more selective but I know I won't.

I agree. That's why for me the debate about which is better Alien or Aliens is really moot. I own them both in perhaps the best presented blu ray collection. I don't have to choose.

Any one own Trinity and Beyond on Blu or DVD. That's one of my future purchases. I think it's an amazing documentary with an obvious slant. Nicely narrated by the original Captain Kirk, it features a loud but pleasant score.

Oh yea, it's a great set, one of the best if not the best

That would be the Lord of the Rings EEs. Still the benchmark for stella home release productions.

Those are great, I agree. But the Alien Anthology Blu Ray box set is better in terms of going deeper into the production process and looking back on the films and their impact.

The LOTR EE documentaries only covered so much. The LE versions that came out later had ANOTHER documentary that covered more, and there is still plenty of more behind the scenes footage shot that PJ hasn't released yet, not to mention the wealth of deleted scenes that haven't been released yet either.

The Alien set has deleted scenes and isolated scores for all the movies, something LOTR hasn't had released yet. So it wins, for now.

As I predicted, Universal will be releasing it's classic monsters on Blu on 10-02-12, October 2nd.

Dracula, Dracula (Spanish version), Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera ('43 with Claude Rains), and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. All have been restored I believe. The set includes a 48 page book full of info on the films.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9036

35661_medium.jpg

I know I'm in a minority of one, but this is an important addition to blu.

I'm even more excited that the Phantom is the Claude Rain's version. The Lon Cheney was already available and it seemed pointless to include it here.

Even better is that the Creature blu disc will have both the 3D and 2D version.

You're not alone. Easily one of my most anticipated Blu releases yet.

As I predicted, Universal will be releasing it's classic monsters on Blu on 10-02-12, October 2nd.

Dracula, Dracula (Spanish version), Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera ('43 with Claude Rains), and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. All have been restored I believe. The set includes a 48 page book full of info on the films.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9036

35661_medium.jpg

I know I'm in a minority of one, but this is an important addition to blu.

I'm even more excited that the Phantom is the Claude Rain's version. The Lon Cheney was already available and it seemed pointless to include it here.

Even better is that the Creature blu disc will have both the 3D and 2D version.

Alex,

I noticed that Dr. Strangelove has broken the $10.00 barrier, not sure how cheap it is in Belgium but it's reached a price point for me. It's the only Kubrick film I really want to own.

Alex,

I noticed that Dr. Strangelove has broken the $10.00 barrier, not sure how cheap it is in Belgium but it's reached a price point for me. It's the only Kubrick film I really want to own.

I've been rewatching parts of it lately. It's kind of addictive.

Oh look, Alex with a thinly desguised gay dig. How shocking.

No Alex, I think Spartacus is an okay film but very flawed, doesn't feel much like a Kubrick film because it has some warmth.

Dr. Strangelove is just filled with great acting, great characters, and moments of such absurdity. Peter Sellers could do no wrong in the flm.