Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

No Alex, I think Spartacus is an okay film but very flawed, doesn't feel much like a Kubrick film because it has some warmth.

It isn't very much like Kubrick because he didn't write it and work it the would have wanted. That one could be better. I enjoyed it a lot as a kid.

But no warmth in Kubrick? He's one of the only three filmmakers that have made me cry for real!

It isn't very much like Kubrick because he didn't write it and work it the would have wanted.

That's why I thought it would appeal more to Joey, not because of Tony Curtis.

Joey you can have my digibook of Dr. Strangelove if you cover the shipping costs. I got it for cheap awhile back but now have it in my Kubrick set, so I have no need for the single edition.

thanks Koray, that's a nice offer. I will take you up on that.

Barnes & Noble has their 50% off Criterion sale running until July 30th. Thankfully I got paid yesterday, picked up Being John Malkovich, The Gold Rush, The 39 Steps, and Harold And Maude.

Will probably snag a couple others before the sale ends.

Ah, Criterion, then the movies must be good!

not always, the curious case of benjamin button is a criterion release, and curiously it's not very good at all! I find this film curious though for several reasons, one being that it's rather boring, a film about a man who ages backwards is boring? That in itself is curious. Another is the clear lack of chemistry between the two leads, if the actors are so accomplished you'd think they would connect, but curiously they never do. Another curiosity in the film is the backwards clock. A clock going backwards really isn't all the curious, afterall it's a simple matter to correct, a reversal of the gears is a quick, or maybe not so quick fix.

;):up:

133armageddon_cc_cstm_hires.jpg

To be honest, however, I do enjoy this movie, it was the first DVD that I ever bought, and it remains the only Criterion in my collection. I just know it gets a lot of flak.

Yes, that's because Han and Chewie are referenced within the movie. :rolleyes:

~*~

Cool little bit of trivia about Armageddon: NASA shows the movie to potential hires to test them on how many events of impossible science they can find.

http://www.howtogeek.com/trivia/which-hollywood-blockbuster-does-nasa-show-to-potential-hires/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=120712

The highest number of errors a potential NASA hire has noted during the screening process is 168; more than one scientifically impossible action or event per minute of the film. I'll get the popcorn!

;):up:

133armageddon_cc_cstm_hires.jpg

To be honest, however, I do enjoy this movie, it was the first DVD that I ever bought, and it remains the only Criterion in my collection. I just know it gets a lot of flak.

When I saw that at my local video store I laughed so hard that I threw up.

we got Super 8 at Best Buy for 7.99 yesterday, along with Batman the Movie(7.99), with Adam West, and Taps(4.99) with Sean Penn and Tom Cruise.

I can't stay awake when I watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit, for starters.

I actually agree with you. It never charmed me one bit. I so wanted to like it, or even love it.

I bought John Carter on blu yesterday (these new releases are alway so cheap the first couple of days - I only paid 12.99€...). I must say, I find this movie charming. Yeah, the acting is not so great (particularly of the female lead), but it feels like old-fashioned fun, and is visually pretty amazing.

I also got National Treasure and Inception; both were quite cheap as well. National Treasure looks pretty good on blu, but I have yet to watch Inception

I can't stay awake when I watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit, for starters.

It's got that wonderful filmed on a studio lot feel I love. Lots of warm hues everywhere, an affectionate fantasy vision of the movie business.

Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Edition coming out!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8820

In the fall, Warner Home Entertainment is expected to bring the 30th Anniversary Edition of Blade Runner to Blu-ray. Director Ridley Scott's iconic reimagining of the Philip K. Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep stars Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures) as Rick Deckard, a disenchanted Blade Runner who hunts replicants - genetically engineered organic robots - in Los Angeles, circa 2019.

As the science-fiction-thriller begins, Deckard receives the assignment to kill four rogue replicants who have returned to Earth after organizing a bloody off-world rebellion. Deckard's search takes him from the bowels of Los Angeles' synthetic community to Dr. Eldon Tyrell (Joe Turkel, The Shining), the creator of the replicants; however, the weary Blade Runner finds his resolve tested by both his romantic feelings towards Tyrell's android secretary Rachel (Sean Young, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective) as well as the savagery of head replicant fugitive Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer, Hobo with a Shotgun).

Written by Hampton Fancher (The Minus Man) and David Webb Peoples (Unforgiven), the film co-stars Edward James Olmos (Battlestar Galactica), M. Emmet Walsh (Blood Simple), Daryl Hannah (Kill Bill), James Hong (Big Trouble in Little China), William Sanderson (Deadwood), Brion James (The Player), and Joanna Cassidy (Ghosts of Mars).

In addition, Blade Runner collected Oscar nominations at the 1983 Academy Awards Ceremony for:

• Best Art Direction-Set Decoration: Lawrence G. Paull, David L. Snyder, and Linda DeScenna
  • Best Visual Effects: Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich, and David Dryer

Warner's four-disc Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack offers five versions of the picture: the rare workprint version, the 1982 domestic and international theatrical cuts, the 1993 director's cut, and the 2007 Final Cut, which contains additional revisions not present in any of the previous versions. Further technical specifications are unknown, though the Blu-ray does contain a number of bonus supplements, such as:

• All ten-plus hours of the existing extra content from the Ultimate Collector's Edition
  • Photo gallery with 1,000+ new images
  • Feature-length Dangerous Days documentary
  • Over six behind-the-scenes featurettes

The discs come packaged in a collectible seventy-two-page digibook with "never-before-seen Ridley [scott] sketches, poster art, and photos from the set" alongside a concept spinner car and action Lenticular hologram.

The 30th Anniversary Edition of Blade Runner streets on October 23rd.

Update: Warner Bros. is also releasing a three-disc Blu-ray Book edition on the same date. This version offers the five cuts of the film and all digital supplements from the 30th Anniversary set; however, the Blu-ray Book is only thirty-six pages long - as opposed to seventy-two pages - and loses the DVD and UV copies as well as the spinner replica and Lenticular hologram.

Basically, it's repackaging but with a book this time. I rather would've seen The Duellists on Blu-ray! That way Ridley Scott's three greatest movies would be finally available in high definition!

Not so good, but it's the digibook, so who cares? Would've been better if it was stylized even further, showing the outline contours and no texture.

Or why not have the matchstick man or the chicken on the cover? Why the discrimination?!

Alex

Lawrence Of Arabia is coming. That set looks awesome.

Cool!

I just got the Best Buy exclusive Batman Begins and The Dark Knight steelbooks for $5 each with their DVD trade-in promotion. I already had TDK on blu, but didn't own Begins, so I figured this would give me a nice new matching set. Hopefully Rises will have a steelbook release as well so all 3 will match...