Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

One of my favorite movies from my childhood. Is it a great film? No, but it is so much fun to me and my nostalgia for it absolutely prevents me from objectively speaking about the movie or Kamen's score (which I happen to think is perfect and needs the LLL / Intrada treatment).

I like it too (may be nostalgia, but so what). The blu ray (at least the version I have) is not really good, though... especially the picture quality. I would also prefer the theatrical version, but I think the blu ray has only the extended cut everywhere. Some of the editorial choices in that version are strange, such as having a guy whose tongue has been cut out but who can suddenly speak again... But then, for 5 pounds...

I finally watched Hugo the other day, after having trouble playing it and sending it back - partly paying for the return shipment myself, because Play only refunded part of the shipping costs, even though it was replaced for being defective. But I was too lazy to complain.

Turns out it wasn't really defective. The second disc had the same problems - sound holes and stuttering playback starting around 45 minutes into the film. On both of my players (that was the reason why I sent back the first disc, convinced that it was at fault). Did a Google search this time. Apparently this is a somewhat common issue with certain older player software versions and releases that have both 2D and 3D versions of the film on the same disc.

A firmware update was supposed to help, and it did - although I had to manually download the update for my Philips from their website, the built-in update check via network didn't find anything. Once downloaded, the update process was quick and painless, and after that, the disc played perfectly.

The annoying bit: I can only upgrade my bedroom Blu player (the Philips) - there's one firmware upgrade for my Momitsu, which is probably too old to solve this issue but more importantly would brick that player's region freeness. So for my main living room player, I'm stuck on old firmware. I already see myself carrying the Philips back to the living room to watch Tintin.

I've said it before: I love the quality Blu-ray delivers, but I hate the format. Once again, region locking causes serious inconvenience on the customer side. And the more I think about the concept, the less sense it makes (yes, even less than it did at first). It's perfectly legal for a European to buy and play European discs on a European player. It's perfectly legal for an American to buy and play US discs on a US player. It's perfectly legal for a European to travel to the US and play US discs on a US player. It's, as far as I know (I don't see what could forbid it), perfectly legal for a European to buy a US player in the US, take it back to Europe, and watch US discs on it.

...then why is it supposedly illegal, and at least forcefully prevented (even by cutting off companies who disobey), for a European to watch US discs on a player purchased in Europe??

I picked up Inception, I'm in a Nolan mood after this weekend being obsessed with Batman.

if you waited until to day you could have gotten it for 4.99 in the Steelbook at BB.

I picked up Inception, I'm in a Nolan mood after this weekend being obsessed with Batman.

if you waited until to day you could have gotten it for 4.99 in the Steelbook at BB.

I love the steel book.

I like Steelbooks and digibooks. I am happy that Jaws will be available in the Digibook format at Best Buy. I may still order the Steelbook version for the case. Hope ET is released in one or both formats in the US.

The Mel Brooks collection is only 28.99 for 9 films.

That's one heck of a buy.

I like Steelbooks and digibooks. I am happy that Jaws will be available in the Digibook format at Best Buy. I may still order the Steelbook version for the case. Hope ET is released in one or both formats in the US.

I have no interest in the box that comes with the Blu-ray I'm all about the content

I have no interest in the box that comes with the Blu-ray I'm all about the content

and Digibooks offer both video content and written content.

why not take all your blu rays/dvd's/cd's out of the box and put them in individual walmart (or dutch equivilant) sacks since you have no interest in the box they come in.

that is true, however for me I like the additional information, the interesting tidbits, the unknown stories behind the making of the movie that I might discover. I also can appreciate the artwork that the case may present.

example I don't like the artwork used for the Jaws DVD, but I'm pleased by the return of the original artwork for the blu ray release. I want the digibook for the extra written content. If it doesn't interest you then buy the standard release. Since it's available I can choose to spend a bit more for it.

The Mel Brooks collection is only 28.99 for 9 films.

That's one heck of a buy.

It is but I'm only really interested in half of them, plus I heard the transfers aren't very good. If it had Dracula: Dead And Loving It I'd probably snag it up.

I actually prefer my blu-rays to have normal casings, blue or black. The info and photos that digibooks give you is just a waist of nature's recourses. Put it in the bonus section.

I don't really care for Warner's digibooks, but my policy has been/will be broken for two things - Citizen Kane and Little Shop of Horrors.

Steelbooks just suck! So easy to dent them. :-(

Universal's direct to blu ray film Werewolf is coming out this fall, 10-09-12. Can it be better than Wolfman? Some here dispise that film, I don't love it, nor do I hate it, but I love the transformation in the London Asylum.

I really want to get the Star Trek TNG Season 1 Blu-Ray release. However, I don't have the $80 to spare right now. I'd rather wait for it to come down in price. The previews do make it look really awesome and if they can do that for the remaining six seasons, I'm sold.

Ah yeah, good call. It isn't bothering me too much - but then again, apparently the most affected episode is Haven and I haven't gotten there yet.

it means the audio is messed up. It's a bad bad thing.

I saw it at Digital bits, seems like the voices are coming from all the channels, to lazy to look this morning.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#072512a

here is more detailed info.

for those here in the states here is another option for your E.T. Bluray purchase

E.T. Bluray Steelbook exclusive at Target

I'm waiting to see if someone has a digibook release. Rumors are that Best Buy will have a digibook.

Of course you can opt for the cheap looking E.T. space ship edition, or go to Walmart and get the exclusive plush with your Bluray.

Also you lucky Brits are getting Things to Come, a very interesting scifi from 1936.

Ok, I know I've said crap here to the effect of "I won't buy BluRay until hell freezes over," but.....I caved. I bought a TV. A real TV, not just a bedroom TV. One for which feeding DVD and Netflix via Wii via RCA cables can't cut it anymore. I have watched both and...well...I'm now a believer in the difference in quality, because my laptop via HDMI is immaculate. Oh, and it can do 3D also (though the TV didn't come with glasses).

Can anyone recommend a good player? My laptop can play BluRay discs, but I don't want to make it the sole device for playing movies and then not be able to work on the laptop at the same time...plus it doesn't do 3D (that I know).

I've been using my PS3 as my blu-ray player ever since the format started. Probably the best option, but not the most economical. I'd probably get something by Sony, since I hear other brands have issues with their firmware updates and such.

I've been using my PS3 as my blu-ray player ever since the format started. Probably the best option, but not the most economical. I'd probably get something by Sony, since I hear other brands have issues with their firmware updates and such.

In that respect it's more practical to use the PS3. The update is automatic whenever you need to plug your PS3 to the internet

I love my LG Blu Ray player

Honestly the Blu Ray format has matured enough now it doesn't matter too much what you get. They will all be good with fast bootup times now

But usability still varies, obviously. For example, my bedroom Philips player does the job, but I hate the controls. It takes about 5 button presses to get a display of the remaining time, and then it covers virtually half the screen.