Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

That's not a bad price especially if you like James Bond.

Yeah, it's the cheapest it has been ever!

I like James Bond but I'm not sure I'll like the last ones (since I generally don't like the recent film output in action/fantasy/sci-fi genres which are filled with CGI)

That is $4.13 per film. Anyone remotely interested shoudl buy it! You can always sell off the movies you like least to pay for the whole thing (yes, people buy discs only without cases all the time)

That's not a good investment as the whole franchise is split up into smaller collections for cheaper.

You mean if you buy these 23 movies in the smaller collections you pay less?

i don't think so.

That's not a good investment as the whole franchise is split up into smaller collections for cheaper.

Wrong.

:(

I guess it was only for a day!!

I like James Bond but I'm not sure I'll like the last ones (since I generally don't like the recent film output in action/fantasy/sci-fi genres which are filled with CGI)

The Craig movies are very lean on CGI, at least obvious CGI, and prefer a more back to basics approach after Brosnan's last Bond, Die Another Day, was a mess full of terrible computer effects. They are much more akin to the Connery films, which are more character pieces with intimate moments, and sparse on big overblown action sequences. I don't know if I'd recommend spending $100 to find out, but maybe check one of the Craig films out on tv and see if they're your cup of tea.

The only CGI in Skyfall are for the animals and Silva's face, right?

You mean if you buy these 23 movies in the smaller collections you pay less?

i don't think so.

Wrong.

I meant as an investment to resell the titles you don't want. Why would someone pay $5 per disc when they can buy one of the smaller collections?

No, there's a lot CGI in the film, but like Nolan, Mendes mixed it with a lot of practical effects which hides the CGI to a degree and makes for a more realistic experience (at least for me).

No, there's a lot CGI in the film, but like Nolan, Mendes mixed it with a lot of practical effects which hides the CGI to a degree and makes for a more realistic experience (at least for me).

I'm sure there are plenty wires removed in the stunt scenes. The explosion at MI6 is CGI naturally. I assume the helicopters hovering over the island are CGI. A lot of stuff that doesnt draw attention to itself.

Works for me. That finale at Skyfall manor definitely wasn't, right? I don't see how it could be.

Wasnt the explosion of the manor real?

That's what I'm saying. Your mentioning of the MI6 explosion being CGI made me question it, since both feel completely real in the moment.

But the Skyfall mansion was a set. Meaning it can be rigged and blown up.

The MI6 building shown in Skyfall is the real existing HQ of MI6.

The Craig movies are very lean on CGI, at least obvious CGI, and prefer a more back to basics approach after Brosnan's last Bond, Die Another Day, was a mess full of terrible computer effects. They are much more akin to the Connery films, which are more character pieces with intimate moments, and sparse on big overblown action sequences. I don't know if I'd recommend spending $100 to find out, but maybe check one of the Craig films out on tv and see if they're your cup of tea.

3 out of 5 Connery films were definitely NOT sparse on big overblown action sequences.

3 out of 5 Connery films were definitely NOT sparse on big overblown action sequences.

Compare You Only Live Twice to Tomorrow Never Dies or Die Another Day.

The frequency of action is shocking, though considering how much character stuff they cut out of Quantum of Solace, I'd reckon its probably the worst offender in the series.

Interesting, Wycket. Exactly how much was cut from "QOS", and why?

Well, I know there was supposedly a lot more to do with Guy Haines, which included an alternate ending with Bond confronting him and Mr. White. Beyond that, I'm clueless but the movie just feels so empty, I really have to believe there was a lot of bits and pieces left on the cutting room floor.

Compare You Only Live Twice to Tomorrow Never Dies or Die Another Day.

The frequency of action is shocking, though considering how much character stuff they cut out of Quantum of Solace, I'd reckon its probably the worst offender in the series.

Except it doesn't work like that when you compare films across decades. If you do that, even Raiders of the Lost Ark is geriatric.

Can't say I agree. The action in Raiders is quite frequent and the sequences go on for long stretches, comparable to most action films these days. YOLT has rather short action sequences spread throughout except for the big finale.

I have Wages Of Fear (Le Salaire De La Peur) on DVD but I actually never watched it. I saw the film many, many years ago on TV. They really should restore it for the blu-ray release.

Are you talking about "Wages of Fear"?

No I asked about Sorcerer with Chief Brody.

This is a film worthy of praise without always having to be compared to WoF.

I thought Alex liked Sorcerer that's why I asked.

There is word, that the Batman 60s TV series may be coming out in Bluray!

(It's not clear yet if it's Bluray or DVD).

Would be anyone interested in this?

adam-west-batman-costume.jpg

Holy About Time, Batman!

Honestly, with all the merchandising of the property recently, it was clear that WB and FOX worked out a deal. It will be good to finally own them besides DVD-R's I made of the series as it aired on The Hub a few years ago. Nice to see Ward and West will are alive to witness this and hopefully appear in extras.

Not really, but Tangerine Dream's score is groundbreaking. A year before Moroder's MIDNIGHT EXPRESS.

do not listen to Mr. Shark, it's quite a harrowing film.

I have Wages Of Fear (Le Salaire De La Peur) on DVD but I actually never watched it. I saw the film many, many years ago on TV. They really should restore it for the blu-ray release.

Wages_BD_web_temp_original.jpg

It's supposed to be a vast improvement over the previous DVD versions but my player can't read region A discs.

You don't want to watch movies in their original language?

Not really, but Tangerine Dream's score is groundbreaking. A year before Moroder's MIDNIGHT EXPRESS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QBrJ-FuvNg

What ground did it break? Surely it wasn't the first film with a synthesizer score?

You don't want to watch movies in their original language?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QBrJ-FuvNg

What ground did it break? Surely it wasn't the first film with a synthesizer score?

Whether or not, it was grouindbreaking, I like the score, but then I love TD.

In style, the film reminds me of "Fitzcarraldo".