Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Yes it is a Christmas gift. My sister is a lover of film. She grew up during a magical time, the birth of the Spielberg/Williams beginning. She saw Sugarland Express at the movies. She was there for Jaws. She saw many films from many different filmmakers. If I saw it she did too.

sent my sister another fine film from 1982 on blu.

Deathtrap with Michael Caine, Dianne Cannon, and the late great Christopher Reeve

A great little film that unexpectedly died at the BO.

Best line: "I want to be known as Sidney Bruhl, the man who wrote "The Murder Game", not Sidney Bruhl, the faggot who murdered his wife!".

As good as Caine, Reeve, and Cannon are, it's I.Q. Jones who steals the show.

Okay siap, not really, Conspiracy Theory is coming in April to blu, Donner's underrated and perhaps last really good film???

I see Nashville is available on blu but through Criterion. sadly they are too pricey

Pick it up during their next sale.

still too pricy. Criterion releases are not special they feature generally hideous artwork and then that price.

Stefan the film is a unconventional musical. It's a great film worthy of a better more general release.

still too pricy. Criterion releases are not special they feature generally hideous artwork and then that price.

:folder: The Criterion Collection is the benchmark of quality other home video releases should aspire to, and their art direction is one of those reasons. They're pricey because of their extensive restorations.

I can't wait for their inevitable release of The New World, partially because I know they would use this fantastic poster

new_world.jpg

over the current blu-ray release:

new-world-explored-20090519103518438-000

:folder: The Criterion Collection is the benchmark of quality other home video releases should aspire to, and their art direction is one of those reasons. They're pricey because of their extensive restorations.

I can't wait for their inevitable release of The New World, partially because I know they would use this fantastic poster

new_world.jpg

I'm mostly waiting for The Tree of Life, that's why I haven't bought it yet.

I hope it will be soon... (if ever)

Criterion doesn't restore. Real film restoration is ridiculously expensive and only a few films have ever been restored.

So true. You want to see great film restoration look at what Universal did with Bride of Frankenstein or Jaws, films 40 years apart but both in dire need to be restored. The restoration of Jaws makes it look like a 2012 release dated only by autos, video games, and smoking in the hospital. Bride is a revelation. I doubt it ever looked so good.

new_world.jpg

The current non-Criterion releases of his films are still Malick approved. The only thing that could be improved are special features.

And available only in Region A for a North American market. It is ridiculously difficult to buy a multi region player in this country.

new_world.jpg

The current non-Criterion releases of his films are still Malick approved. The only thing that could be improved are special features.

Well, I like the Criterion menus!

They are so classy! :)

That's hardly a good reason. Again their artwork is sometimes hideous or primitive. The artwork on Night of the Hunter, yawn.

Blowout is an attractive composition but I don't like that particular image as box art.

I don't like the last 3 at all. Also, I'm not too sure about the green font on the Hitchcock one.

Blowout is an attractive composition but I don't like that particular image as box art.

I don't like the last 3 at all. Also, I'm not too sure about the green font on the Hitchcock one.

Yes, it seems like a very busy image to put as cover.

I can't understand though how they do it with the menus.

Eg in the Howards End menu, the menu shows a scene (or a couple, I don't remember) with the flowers alone.

But nowhere in the film this scene is so long (in seconds), and it doesn't seem to be a loop of the shot in the film..

JoeinAr loves it! ;)

I love the film. Hate the cover.

The blowout cover is so awful. The loathing Las Vegas cover looks like scribbling.

Lillian Gist should be listed before Shelly Winters.

It depends who "owns" the film. For example: 20th Century Fox (a studio) distibuted "Star Wars", but Lucasfilm (the production company which paid for it) restored it. It makes sense for the studio that owns the film to pay for the restoration, but who truly "owns" a film?

Does Warner Bros., or the Salkinds own "Superman"?

What about films that failed at the box office, but went on to become "cult classics" and have, over the years, gained a very large following? What happens when the studio (or production company) that "owned" the film, folds (like Cannon)? Is the Ladd Company still going, and does it still own "Blade Runner", "Outland", etc. What about films with negative pick-ups?

Usually I assume that means they converted the master copy of the film into a digital format and go to work on doing "restoration" work on that digital copy. Scratch removal, color correction etc.

The term "digitally restored" seems to be accurate then.

Criterion doesn't restore. Real film restoration is ridiculously expensive and only a few films have ever been restored.

Which films are they, Alex, and what is the difference between "true" restoration, and what Criterion does?

The studio owns the film. I don't know what precisely it is what Criterion does. I suppose the best way to describe it is that they do a kind of digital remastering. Real film restoration (which often means they go back the original negative print, restore it, and make a new positive) is preserved for the big classics like Gone With The Wind, The Wizard Of Oz, ... Sadly enough, most films will never get a restoration.

Did they go that far for Jaws and E.T.?

did you not read my post. Universal did a full restoration with Jaws. The studios each have restoration departments. Spielberg oversees his films restorations. Full restorations are difficult expensive undertakings that can take years.

Even relatively new films can have issues. Thankfully with digitization films can be restored and preserved for virtually forever.

So they transfer from an available source not necessarily the best source. That's quite common.

Yes, that's how it's usually done. It's just that the amount of work they do into making the best transfers possible far exceeds any other company I've seen. Compare their Dazed And Confused or Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas to the previous blus, or their The Third Man to StudioCanal's. I'm looking forward to seeing how their new transfer of Fantastic Mr. Fox differs from the already excellent release.

They also have a ton more special features than most regular releases, not to mention each booklet contains an essay on the film.