Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

You don't want to watch movies in their original language?

Not really, but Tangerine Dream's score is groundbreaking. A year before Moroder's MIDNIGHT EXPRESS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QBrJ-FuvNg

What ground did it break? Surely it wasn't the first film with a synthesizer score?

I believe it's the first American film to use a sequenced synth score. Big difference.

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS is groundbreaking in that it brought more public and critical attention to itself through the Oscar and 'The Chase.'

You don't want to watch movies in their original language?

Not really, but Tangerine Dream's score is groundbreaking. A year before Moroder's MIDNIGHT EXPRESS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QBrJ-FuvNg

What ground did it break? Surely it wasn't the first film with a synthesizer score?

I believe it's the first American film to use a sequenced synth score. Big difference.

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS is groundbreaking in that it brought more public and critical attention to itself through the Oscar and 'The Chase.'

What do you mean with "sequenced score"? Yes, they use a sequencer for arpeggios but not all is 'sequenced'. The usage of one particular electronic instrument don't make something groundbreaking, IMO. It's just another electronic instrument in another electronic score. If Sorcerer was the first ever electronic score, yes, then it would be 'groundbreaking'.

Alex

For anyone that is interested in Conan the Barbarian, the French steelbook (according to many reviewers), is the ONLY RIGHT VERSION in the world!

http://www.amazon.fr/Conan-the-Barbarian-and-Conan-the-Destroyer-Blu-ray/dp/B00DRFJNOE?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom05-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DRFJNOE&m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96

(the other releases have errors/ommisions in the soundtrack and a video error).

More specifically:

The choir during the opening attack on the village has been completely restored.

The night filter as Conan is chased by the wolves has been restored perfectly.

The choir during Conan's recovery sword wielding has been beautifully restored.

The percussion during the orgy scene is all there.

And lastly, the choir during the end battle is back in tact.

All original Foley effects are complete and unaltered.

The movie is completely uncut featuring the witch scene in its entirety as well as all of the horse trips.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=172441&page=98

for anyone interested, the new limited to 3000 copies Titus Bluray from TT, includes a Goldenthal audio commentary (along with the isolated score track):

Goldenthal is Taymor's partner in "real life", and he gives a very thoughtful if somewhat more sporadic commentary than Taymor does. This should be of prime interest to students of film scoring, for Goldenthal gets into the nuts and bolts of some of his orchestration decisions in terms of what kinds of moods he was attempting to foster with his music.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Titus-Blu-ray/88573/#Review

Region A!

Anyway, only saw it once but I loved Titus. What an experience! Sure, the first 10 minutes were like WTF (one need to adapt to the vibe), but then I ate it all up! Now Julie Taymor is one of my favorite directors. Still need to see The Tempest.

Alex

Region A!

I don't understand why everyone doesn't get a Region Free player from the start, to avoid this problem.

Are they extremely expensive?

(I don't know. I just ask because I watch Blurays in my PC and I don't have a problem there with Regions)

(also, I'm not sure if the TT BLurays are Region locked. It says untested in region B, C)

When you buy a normal player, it's locked to the region of your country (Region B, in my case). Have you seen The Tempest already, filmmusic? It's not available in my country. I should check the UK online stores to see if they have it.

tempest-2_zpsc12ec9e8.jpg

Alex

When you buy a normal player, it's locked to the region of your country (Region B, in my case). Have you seen The Tempest already, filmmusic? It's not available in my country. I should check the UK online stores to see if they have it.

Yeah, I know that..

I was just asking, why didn't you buy a free region player then? Or maybe you didn't know at that time, that you may want some Region A Blurays?

(also, if you could connect your PC with your TV, you could still watch whatever Region Bluray, using the Region remover softwares)

No, I haven't seen the Tempest. I'm not so fan of Titus either.

I had seen it just once, and had some mixed feelings about it.

it felt like a parody sometimes. (or was this its intention?)

By the way, the Tempest is released in Region B Blurays.

In Germany from what I see and France.

I don't remember if I have posted it here, but Little House on the Prairie Season 1, gets a Bluray release on March 25th!!

93639_large.jpg

Not seen since their original TV broadcast, all twenty-four season one episodes are now presented complete and uncut, newly restored and remastered for optimal picture and sound quality. Plus, you'll discover where the "Little House on the Prairie" TV legend began-with the original, full-length pilot movie that introduced the Ingalls family to millions of viewers around the world.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13056

it was a big success here in Greece when it broadcasted (daily), but i had never watched it.

(Oh, i think I know why. It was dubbed in Greek, and even from a child, wheh I started understanding more, I didn't like watching dubbed versions of foreign films/series. I wanted always to watch the original!)

I think I'll buy it because I'm a fan of such stuff..

Hmm, first you say that you are not a fan of Titus, one of the best and most original Shakespeare adaptations that has ever hit the screen, then you declare your love to Little House on The Prairie, even though you haven't seen it? I guess we can't be friends after all, filmmusic. I'm sorry, but I have my limits. ;)

Alex

That's not a movie or a TV series. The Voice is all about singing and music and I like music. In fact, it's what I do. Watching people do singing auditions is fun. It's just too bad the show gets boring after the auditions. It's a pity you don't understand that, Steef. I guess we can't be friends after all. ;)

Alex

Like I said, most singers fall for her cutesy pie charms. She's quite irresistible.

I like Will because I think he's a funny judge and even though he has the tendency to like to overtly, the enlarged and the burlesque (and to be fair, all the judges go for that), he has the least mainstream taste of the lot. Also, his last picks were very natural, you know, more vulnerable and intimate kinda voices. He seems to realize the show needs more than powerhouse singers.

Alex

Hmm, first you say that you are not a fan of Titus, one of the best and most original Shakespeare adaptations that has ever hit the screen, then you declare your love to Little House on The Prairie, even though you haven't seen it? I guess we can't be friends after all, filmmusic. I'm sorry, but I have my limits. ;)

Alex

Did I say anywhere that I love Little House on the Prairie?

I said I think I'll buy it (meaning I think I'll like it), because I'm a fan of such staff (meaning old classic TV series).

(also I'm thinking of buying the Batman 1966 TV series if it's released in Bluray as they say)

i don't think you could compare Titus with these series.. They are different things and offer different kind of enjoynment.

Anyway, maybe I am not such a fan of modern artistic interpretations of classic plays.

(Or maybe I should re-watch it to re-evaluate since I watched it 15 years ago - when I was 19 - and maybe now I'm more mature to appreciate it)

Region A!

I don't understand why everyone doesn't get a Region Free player from the start, to avoid this problem.

(I don't know. I just ask because I watch Blurays in my PC and I don't have a problem there with Regions)

(also, I'm not sure if the TT BLurays are Region locked. It says untested in region B, C)

Region free BD players are very difficult to procure in Australia. You'll be looking at spending at least $700 for one if you manage to find a vendor.

Alex

I said I think I'll buy it (meaning I think I'll like it), because I'm a fan of such staff (meaning old classic TV series).

(also I'm thinking of buying the Batman 1966 TV series if it's released in Bluray as they say)

i don't think you could compare Titus with these series.. They are different things and offer different kind of enjoynment.

Anyway, maybe I am not such a fan of modern artistic interpretations of classic plays.

(Or maybe I should re-watch it to re-evaluate since I watched it 15 years ago - when I was 19 - and maybe now I'm more mature to appreciate it)

It's was the combination of "Oh no, I'm not a fan of Titus" with "I'm a fan of stuff like Little House" that I thought was rather noticeable. I used a winkie so don't take it too seriously, will ya.

Alex

Alex

It's was the combination of "Oh no, I'm not a fan of Titus" with "I'm a fan of stuff like Little House" that I thought was rather noticeable. I used a winkie so don't take it too seriously, will ya.

Alex

Don't worry! I didn't take it seriously.

(but even if I don't take something seriously, I respond seriously, as in "explaining".. :mrgreen: )

edit:

Alex, do you have somewhere your list of your favourite films ever? I'm curious to see it..

Filmmusic, I wouldn't buy Little House on the Prairie if I were you. It's possibly not what you're expecting.

Well, not unless you like REALLY slushy and twee message storylines written for good wholesome Christians. Even when I was twelve I couldn't handle its cheese.

Filmmusic, I wouldn't buy Little House on the Prairie if I were you. It's possibly not what you're expecting.

Well, not unless you like REALLY slushy and twee message storylines written for good Christians. Even when I was twelve I couldn't handle its cheese.

I don't know what slushy and twee means, but i really liked The Waltons TV pilot (A Christmas Story) that I've seen (2 times till now), and i thought it will be something like this..

Usually in things like these, I don't give much attention to the script which may be very simple and/or childish, but to the general atmosphere..

I'd also maybe be interested in Dr. Quinn to be released in Bluray. Had seen a couple of episodes, and liked that too..

The Waltons is somewhat more mature in nature (never thought I'd be saying this) than Prairie though, which seems to aimed at children more than the wider family. But then again you did just say you like Doctor Quinn, so who knows. You might like it after all.

The Waltons is somewhat more mature in nature (never thought I'd be saying this) than Prairie though, which seems to aimed at children more than the wider family. But then again you did just say you like Doctor Quinn, so who knows. You might like it after all.

Yeah, I don't mind children's series and simple messages.

i even watch Fraggle Rock now and LOVE it!! :mrgreen:

Alex, do you have somewhere your list of your favourite films ever? I'm curious to see it..

I don't have a list, filmmusic. I stopped thinking about listing favorite movies because it keeps changing. To quote Hampton Fancher: "Movies can be different things on different days, even to the people who made them."

Alex

I don't have a list, filmmusic. I stopped thinking about listing favorite movies because it keeps changing. To quote Hampton Fancher: "Movies can be different things on different days, even to the people who made them."

Alex

Ok, I understand.

On the contrary mine doesn't change (or maybe doesn't change substantially) since some films have a secure place in my mind and heart..

(I admit though that all those films are films that I've seen in my childhood and teens. But if I were to make an expanded list of 50 or so movies, i would definitely include some that I've seen these past years - mainly old ones again that I hadn't seen eg. like ROCKY, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, NORTH BY NORTHWEST etc.)

There are very few, they are not easy to get, and they are expensive.

I have one that serves me mostly well, but these days it's beginning to have problems with certain discs. Mostly 2D/3D hybrids, which sometimes need a firmware update to function properly, but shortly after I got my player, the vendor apparently got in trouble with the Blu-ray Disc Association. As a result, if I update the firmware, I lose the region freeness. Luckily, it still mostly works, and when it doesn't, I can use my bedroom player as a backup.

Fortunately, most BDs are region free.

But when it dies, I'll probably simply get two players, one for A and one for B.

Well, not unless you like REALLY slushy and twee message storylines written for good wholesome Christians. Even when I was twelve I couldn't handle its cheese.

I has to endure reruns of it. Ketu enjoyed it...

I wouldn't say most. Generally the Sony, Warner and Miramax ones are. But the Fox, Paramount, Universal, Disney and most frustratingly the Criterion ones are pretty strict.

Used to, at least. I haven't checked in a while, since the majority of my discs are B* and therefore my player is mostly set to B. I think Disney always region locked their discs, and niche labels tend to do so as well (I guess they can't afford international distribution rights).

*) For one thing, all my usual online stores that carried region A discs in Europe (i.e. with affordable shipping and no customs issues) have gone out of business over the years. But fortunately, European Blu-rays are also *mostly* equal in quality to their US counterparts. The transfers and extras seem to be the same most of the time, which wasn't all that common in the DVD era.

I wouldn't say most. Generally the Sony, Warner and Miramax ones are. But the Fox, Paramount, Universal, Disney and most frustratingly the Criterion ones are pretty strict.

Used to, at least. I haven't checked in a while, since the majority of my discs are B* and therefore my player is mostly set to B. I think Disney always region locked their discs, and niche labels tend to do so as well (I guess they can't afford international distribution rights).

*) For one thing, all my usual online stores that carried region A discs in Europe (i.e. with affordable shipping and no customs issues) have gone out of business over the years. But fortunately, European Blu-rays are also *mostly* equal in quality to their US counterparts. The transfers and extras seem to be the same most of the time, which wasn't all that common in the DVD era.

Sometimes European Blurays have even better transfers:

eg. remaster of Rambo trilogy, The Name of the Rose (French), The Fury from Arrow etc.

Here is a list that I regularly check, when i want to buy a Bluray:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=179724

(List of International BDs with Better PQ, AQ, and/or More Extras)

Fortunately, most BDs are region free.

most UNIversal that I have are region free

was able to buy the CGI laden remake of the Evil Dead for 4.99. I thoroughly enjoyed this disturbing decent into evil and madness. The CGI effects are so practical, so on screen.

Perhaps that movie's biggest mistake was not going fully cg stylistic gore, because the practical "realistic" effort made the experience about as scary as an episode of Goosebumps.