Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I don't know if anyone is interested in something like this, but Thunderbirds are go, and Thunderbird 6 (1966/1968) are coming in Bluray from Twilight Time in a limited edition of 3000. (May 2014)

Haven't seen the movies myself, but i had watched some TV episodes in my childhood and I'm all for it!! :)

Here's the trailer for the 2nd movie:

I saw "Thunderbirds Are Go!" at the cinema, when I was yea high. Silva Screen issued both scores, I think.

I'd love to watch them again, because I think that "Thunderbirds" has such a strong moral centre.

I put them in the same class as the two Cushing Dr. Who movies: interesting curios, but with enough originality to make all four of them worth watching.

Now, if only Silva would release the 2-disc "U.F.O."...

Dave pick up the shitfest known as Man of Steel and Bad Grandpa for 5 bucks each at Target. I had passed up MoS at the same price during Christmas.

So do you guys bicker about movies then or what?

Not really. He got it he says because we have all the other Superman films, he disliked MoS perhaps more than I but he will give it another shot.. We both thought Bad Grandpa was one hilarious film.

I think my next Bluray purchase will be The Blue Max.

I could have sworn you said he liked it at the time. Maybe I've remembered it wrong.

you have remembered it wrong. Man of Steel made me very angry when he murdered Zod. it might be one of those movies that plays better on TV some like nemesis bad movie but a decent TV viewing.

For the sake of chat is the neck-break the main reason you hate it?

it's the main reason everyone I know who hates the movie, and that includes every live person I know who saw it ( I do not know anyone outside internet folk who liked it). It was the hugely discussed here last summer. I disliked the extreme lack of chemistry between Superman and Lois, and the endless destruction.

Omg another skyscraper just collapsed.

I'm totally fine with Superman killing for the greater good. Twice he's killed Zod to put an end to global human threat, but the killing in MoS was more satisfying than the amusing dispatch of Terence Stamp purely because it was brutal and therefore felt more decisive, like an unavoidable elimination. It told me that at that point in his genesis Superman is prepared to be executioner when all else fails. Perhaps in the next film he learns to control his primal instincts and discovers within himself a new maturity which teaches him to resolve matters more pragmatically (and with far less collateral damage).

Btw apparently in internetland (that small digital cubby hole used by a miniscule handful of Western civilisation) MoS has quite the respectable following, and isn't as near universally hated as Joey likes to make out. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/

What happened to the wholesome black and white perception that dictates heroes don't kill?! How do we distinguish the good from the bad if our heroes are no better than the foes they battle? No, filmmakers must obey one of the ten rules of great moviemaking: Thy white knight shalt not kill.

Alex - ;)

I'm totally fine with Superman killing for the greater good. Twice he's killed Zod to put an end to global human threat, but the killing in MoS was more satisfying than the amusing dispatch of Terence Stamp purely because it was brutal and therefore felt more decisive, like an unavoidable elimination. It told me that at that point in his genesis Superman is prepared to be executioner when all else fails. Perhaps in the next film he learns to control his primal instincts and discovers within himself a new maturity which teaches him to resolve matters more pragmatically (and with far less collateral damage).

Btw apparently in internetland (that small digital cubby hole used by a miniscule handful of Western civilisation) MoS has quite the respectable following, and isn't as near universally hated as Joey likes to make out. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/

Once he killed. Despite the insane ramblings of Stephen he did not kill Zod in Superman. 2.

Um, the scene of the Phantom Zone trio being taken into custody was a deleted scene from the theatrical cut, only shown in some TV versions. So in the Lester cut, they die. In the Donner cut, the time turner undoes the entire movie, willing them back to life, but as we've seen from history, a resurrection doesn't forgive a murder.

You never see Zod die therefore he is not dead. But I guess that's to obvious for some.

Margo in the 70's was pretty.

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the Blue Max blu with the isolated Jerry Goldsmith score.

That's because he was not dead so no reason to bitch. Our Internet was Skylog and we read that Zod, Non, and Ursa were not dead.

After doing my taxes I feel the need to splurge on myself. I need to fill a few blu gaps in my odd collection. I do not have Lambs and I must have them.

Yes, I agree it was too dark (maybe the Bluray has greater clarity than watching it in a DVD and from the trailer it seems it does), but I guess it was a stylistic approach to depict the dark times of that period..

But for me it's one of the most visually impressive period films! (This and 1990's Cyrano. I love them!! Also wish for an English friendly Bluray of Cyrano)

It always reminds me of paintings of that era..

I got my reconstructed and restored Metropolis yesterday. Gonna watch it soon.

Another film I'd like to watch and haven't still.

What release did you buy?

this from Eureka?

9950_large.jpg

or this US one?

8710_large.jpg

It's a repackaging of either of those from an Australian distributor called Madman Entertainment.

I'd like to see the Moroder version some day.

Life Aquatic is insufferable.

Life Aquatic is the only Anderson movie I can really tolerate. All his others do absolutely nothing for me, but perhaps Bill Murray taking the lead is the reason for me.

It's a beautiful film!

you've got to be kidding.

do you have smoke pot or something to get a Wes Anderson film?