Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

The new title is well better. Edge of Tomorrow was about as generic a title as it gets.

So couldn't they get Bill Murray then? Tom Cruise seems like an odd replacement for the futuristic sequel to Groundhog Day.

But changing a title isn't all that uncommon if you live in other language countries such as ours (dutch-speaking and french-speaking)

The Hangover becomes Very Bad Trip for the french-speaking. Seriously, what's wrong with the original title???

The Germans are fond of taking the English title and adding a "funny" German subtitle. Or occasionally of replacing the original English title with a different, unrelated English one. Sometimes it takes me years to figure out that two films I've been hearing about are actually one and the same.

The shifting aspect ratio is good reason to avoid it.

I like the shifting aspect ratio. The Dark Knight and Tron Legacy actually made me unaware it had shifted when I was already a couple of seconds into the scene, it was very well edited.

And the most spectacular scenes really benefit from the 1.85:1 ratio. More image means more eye candy.

Generally speaking, I prefer black bars. A lot of my favorite movies are shot in 2.35:1. I don't know why but to me it makes everything look better, more cinematic.

The IMAX footage of TDK looks great though.

Alex

Both formats have advantages. I generally prefer the 1.85:1 ratio. Avatar & Titanic 3D look simply stunning. But the more cinematic 2.35:1 is right for films with panoramic vista's and wide shots.

I don't understand why they would do comedies in the latter format though (The Hangover for example). Not that it hampers my enjoyment of that flick though. :)

it's easier to frame the Hulk in the shot...

It makes The Avengers look like it's made for TV.

goodbyeagain_zpsb58e5a83.jpg

"The Hulk in The Avengers? Pfft ... That movie lacked scope."

Would it have been better if TDK was shot in IMAX entirely? From what I remember, the resolution of the IMAX footage certainly looks impressive.

Would it have been better if TDK was shot in IMAX entirely?

Nolan can have his IMAX shots, which is fine. But he may as well have shot the rest in 1.85:1 if it was going to create such a mess on home video. I really do find the shifting the most annoying thing about those movies. It annoyed me in Tron Legacy too.

Anyone else like Video CDs?

I used to have those. Horrible beyond belief.

Mpeg1 with horrible pixelation. A huge step down from Laserdisc, hell even VHS was better.

She presents the Proms as well. Lovely.

I thought they booked Katie Price this year?