Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Yay ! Looking forward to it... :pfft:

Not at all actually, I have a sizable collection on blu (partly which has been upgrades from dvd already) and I'm not anxious to do the same thing all over again.

Why should you? How much better will it look?

That's what they said about Blu, too.

You need a very large TV to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.

Films should be viewed on a very large screen.

Not always practical or affordable though.

For film viewing, I find a projector more practical than a TV. Just roll up the screen when you're not using it. Mine comes down in front of the DVD/Blu-ray shelf. And 4K will become just as affordable as Full HD is at the moment.

I just bought a TV to replace my small computer screen for secondary viewing (TV series & gaming) in my other room. I was going for a €300-€400 price range until I found out that there's hardly anything below €400 that can be used for gaming (huge lags). I ended up getting a 48" Grundig with 3D support for €500 (about a third of what I paid for my 32" Trinitron around the year 2000). I'm sure 4K would make a difference on a screen of that size. On the 24" computer screen it replaced, Full HD had a significant difference over regular DVDs from 2m away.

I'm ambivalent towards this development. I'm glad that physical media still has attention, but I'm quite content with the high cinematic quality of existing blu-ray. Sure this will bode well for newer movies and films that have been given a 4K scan and master, but so many have only received the bare bones 2K master because that's all smaller studios can afford. How long will the process of rescanning all of these films take?

It sounds nice but everything looks great on my 1080p VT60 Panny anyway. Of course, the industry repeats this cycle of introducing new formats to keep itself relevant.

I don't want a big house, a pool, an expensive car, or expensive clothes and other luxuries but the only thing I'd like in my life would be a home cinema with a 4K screen in a special room.

If you look at some members' galleries at bluray.com you will be blown away!

They have arranged special rooms as mini-cinemas!!

e.g.:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Alexlux&folderid=1781

Something like this would be a dream come true for me, concerning the aquisition of material things.

I just bought a TV to replace my small computer screen for secondary viewing (TV series & gaming) in my other room. I was going for a €300-€400 price range until I found out that there's hardly anything below €400 that can be used for gaming (huge lags). I ended up getting a 48" Grundig with 3D support for €500 (about a third of what I paid for my 32" Trinitron around the year 2000). I'm sure 4K would make a difference on a screen of that size. On the 24" computer screen it replaced, Full HD had a significant difference over regular DVDs from 2m away.

Also, the 1920x1080 resolution is really low for 3D. I'm not sure how exactly the technology works; I think it's half the horizontal resolution per eye. In any case, especially with stuff that appears in front of the screen, you can count the pixels.

And would anyone say that 1920x1080 is enough for a cinema screen? If not, then why should it be enough for home viewing? Of course, screens at home are smaller, but you're also sitting closer to it. Ideally, the viewing angle would still approach that of a theatrical screening, so the resolution should be similar.

I saw Attack of the Clones digitally projected in a movie theater in 2002, which was a 1080p projection. It looked fine, of course that film is practically all CGI anyway :P

Toy Story 1 was 24 frames per second at 1536 × 922 pixel resolution, 48 bits per pixel

I think Pixar has been rendering at 2K since The Incredibles or so, maybe 4K since WALL-E or so.

As for the films between Toy Story and The Incredibles, I have no idea. Doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there.

Many theaters use digital projectors at 4K, and many use 2K, which is only slightly higher resolution than 1080p. Most likely everyone reading this thread has seen theatrical films at 2K a lot more recently than AotC. If you sit relatively close you can see the pixels, which is kind of a bummer, but it doesn't seem to bother the common folk.

I wonder if Pixar has since rendered Toy Story at a higher resolution. I imagine the 3D rerelease would have been a good time to do so.

And I'm excited about 4K blu ray, but I wonder if I'll have a hard time being patient... I'd try to avoid buying more blu rays until then, but who knows how much content will actually be available when the 4K players get released.

Yes, my main wish is that we'd just reach the maximum relevant resolution so we can stop buying the same films over and over again. I didn't expect it when I switched from DVD to Blu, but I've only watched a handful of films on DVD since. They look only slightly better than VHS tapes to me now.

I kept buying things that would probably never be on BD, like certain TV shows. Or films and docos that would take ages to be upgraded, so I simply bought the DVD, since you never know if you're going to be hit by a bus the following week.

Some, yes, but really only select ones. There are films I've been wanting to revisit for years, but I can't bring myself to watch the DVDs anymore. When will MGM bring Scaramouche to Blu-ray?

I thought I'd never want to rebuy a lot of movies on Blu-ray that I had on DVD, but it turns out I gradually did. The LOTR EE box set was on sale, as was the Alien collection. I gave the LOTR EE DVDs to my sister, and haven't uncovered the box I packed Alien and Aliens into. I rebought Ben-Hur because it was packaged with The Ten Commandments, which I didn't have. And I rebought Lawrence of Arabia even though I had the first DVD set that cost me $35 sight unseen. The Robo-Cop Blu was on sale, and I haven't unloaded the DVD yet. I think the only DVDs I've bought recently were the Looney Tunes Golden Collection because the Blu-ray set is too expensive and I'm not convinced the resolution increase would make a difference.

Wojo: I urge you to do a comparison of the 1987 Robocop DVD (Criterion I presume?) and the recent blu-ray. The difference is night and day. The DVD looks and sounds like a low quality VHS in comparison.

I will hold on to my Criterion Robocop DVD forever because I got it signed by Paul Verhoeven.

Haven't watched the new Blu transfer yet, but I did buy it.

Well that should be the only reason to hold on to it.

What turned me off mostly with the Criterion was the sound being such low quality, it was a standard stereo track which my receiver would translate as Dolby Pro-Logic II, not even up to the specification of DVD.