Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Hmm, I haven't checked it yet. Is the CG stuff at least removed or not? Have yet to dispose of the dvds. 

Edit: blu-ray.com makes no mention of the different grading in their extremely positive review of the Raiders restoration.  

15 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Hmm, I haven't checked it yet. Is the CG stuff at least removed or not? Have yet to dispose of the dvds. 

Edit: blu-ray.com makes no mention of the different grading in their extremely positive review of the Raiders restoration.  

The CGI inserts are gone. And the lack of any mention of the change in colour grading is a well known oversight in that review.

10 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

The shot of the truck going over the edge of the cliff was once CGI. 

That shot only aired on tv and has never been released on any home video version. I've told you this before.

On 7/24/2014 at 6:26 PM, Lonnegan said:

Does the Indiana Jones blu-ray boxset (predominately) feature the CGI untouched original version, or is the CG truck going over the cliff still in Raiders?

On 7/24/2014 at 7:08 PM, Jay said:

That shot you are talking about aired once on a single HD broadcast and was never seen again. Never been released on any form of home video.

Indiana Jones are the first blu-rays I've purchased in quite some time now since I generally stopped buying physical media where possible, so I don't really follow blu-ray news anymore. 

I'm starting to ween off physical media for movies too.  I find that I never, ever watch special features or listen to commentaries any more, and when it comes to the actual movie, its quicker to stream a file than get up off the couch, find the disc, put it in, wait for the player to load it all up, skip through trailers, deal with the menu, skip through or be forced to watch more warnings and logos, etc.  And then if you have to stop the movie in the middle and resume the next day, it doesn't even remember where you left off.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

its quicker to stream a file than get up off the couch, find the disc, put it in, wait for the player to load it all up, 

Oh man, tell me about it! I'm so so lazy, I'm researching innovative ways to become even lazier!

It's not the laziness, its more the instant gratification of clicking a few buttons and a movie starts playing vs waiting for endless logos, trailers, and fbi warnings before the movie finally starts

13 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Exactly Jason. 

And if there's a movie which I'm genuinely interested in seeing how it was made, I already own it. 

Indeed.

Yes, hence the struggle!

I almost want a giant digital library (or way to stream from the internet) of all the movies I'd ever want to watch, AND physical copies of all the movies I love to have on the shelf.

6 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

But isn't it just as gratifying having all your favourite movies lined up on your shelf in cool looking packages? Something you can love and call "my collection"?

Holds no appeal for me anymore. I don't see the point in owning "stuff". I don't want a room in my house to look like a Big Bang Theory set.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not the laziness, its more the instant gratification of clicking a few buttons and a movie starts playing vs waiting for endless logos, trailers, and fbi warnings before the movie finally starts

The only thing preventing me from going completely digital is picture and audio quality. I don't mind streaming TV because I just don't care most of the time for comedies and such, but for film I can't stand the YouTube quality. 

I've found myself caring less about image quality for most movies/tv since we all went HD, too. "1080p" streaming is easily good enough for me. Netflix quality will do. To be honest, actual true 720p is perfectly fine for most things as well, if you can get it (it's only when they compress 720p that artifacts can be a factor). 

I buy the blu-ray editions for my absolute favourites, where I do still very much desire the highest standards possible (within my budget). 

Yep.  I like streaming movies I've never seen before.  If I end up loving them I'll buy the blu.  Hardly any movies made these days are make me want to actually own them, and generally if I have time to watch a movie, 95% of the time I'd rather watch a movie I've never seen before than one I have.

But sometimes its nice to take an all-time favorite of mine off the shelf and watch it with the wife, and she does the same with me sometimes.

Trying to think, maybe only Blue Ruin and Under The Skin are movies from the 2010s I'd want to own on blu.  Most of my movies on Blu are from the late 70s to mid 2000s

I think the last blu I bought before Indy was Lawrence of Arabia. It's still in the cellophane. 

But one day I'll have a spare 4 hours ?

On 8 juni 2016 at 4:26 PM, Lonnegan said:

I think the last blu I bought before Indy was Lawrence of Arabia. It's still in the cellophane. 

But one day I'll have a spare 4 hours ?

Alec Guinness playing an Arab? Racism!

• Alec Guinness as Prince Faisal. Faisal was originally to be portrayed by Laurence Olivier. Guinness performed in other David Lean films, and he got the part when Olivier dropped out. Guinness was made up to look as much like the real Faisal as possible; he recorded in his diaries that, while shooting in Jordan, he met several people who had known Faisal who actually mistook him for the late prince. Guinness said in interviews that he developed his Arab accent from a conversation that he had with Omar Sharif.

Wikipedia ends. 

So I guess one would need more research to know if David Lean considered Arab or other non-white actors for the role before Olivier and Guinness. Was there a conclusion that no actor existed with the training they needed for such a large role, or did he want a big name to help anchor his movie, and there weren't any big name Arab actors yet? After all, Omar Sharif was Egyptian and he had a substantial role, instead of using another European. Anthony Quinn's facepaint was tastefully done and actually fooled folks into thinking he was just one of the locals, but is this a type of blackface by today's standard? At the end of the day, applying today's standards to a 50+ year old movie designated a classic in every sense of the word is foolish. 

I'm tired of you throwing around the word "racist" like it's gone out of style. You're that little black kid in the animated gif. 

Not a racist attitude: Alec Guinness will bring dignity and respect to the significant role of Prince Faisal. 

Racist attitude: Alec Guinness is the only actor capable of portraying Faisal because Arab actors are inferior and can't demand the respect needed to sway Lawrence to the Arab cause. 

We've both been here for quite a few years and yet still you haven't figured out when I'm employing an sarcastic or ironic hyperbole or when i'm being serious.

Weren't you one of the members with Aspergers or something? That might explain it.

I have a question.

https://www.amazon.com/Thing-Called-Love-River-Phoenix/dp/B0045JIXGU/ref=tmm_aiv_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This is one of my favorite films of all time and it's only been available on DVD. But here it is on Amazon Video, which I've never used, apparently in HD? While I'd rather have a physical copy in HD, this seems like the closest thing. But when I attempt to purchase, this comes up on the screen:

This movie requires a copy protection (HDCP)-compliant display for HD viewing. We'll automatically provide the Standard Definition (SD) version if your display isn't compliant or if your Internet connection isn't fast enough to support HD.

Any reason to believe that there would be an issue watching the HD version through Roku on my Sony Trinitron WEGA? If I wanted the SD version, I'd just watch my DVD copy.

Maybe I should tweet at Peter Bogdanovich about a Blu-ray release.

6 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

I have a question.

https://www.amazon.com/Thing-Called-Love-River-Phoenix/dp/B0045JIXGU/ref=tmm_aiv_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This is one of my favorite films of all time and it's only been available on DVD. But here it is on Amazon Video, which I've never used, apparently in HD? While I'd rather have a physical copy in HD, this seems like the closest thing. But when I attempt to purchase, this comes up on the screen:

Any reason to believe that there would be an issue watching the HD version through Roku on my Sony Trinitron WEGA? If I wanted the SD version, I'd just watch my DVD copy.

Maybe I should tweet at Peter Bogdanovich about a Blu-ray release.

This HDCP protection thing sucks. Essentially, it's the result of two things. First, it's the tech industry trying to block you from using your old gear so you need to upgrade to their new, shitty gear. Second, it's an answer to the calls from Hollywood to prevent pirating through the use of analogue cables, which you'll notice on newer blu-ray players they don't even have ports for anymore, which sucks for me because I still use an amplifier with only analogue inputs.

Got The X-Files blu ray in the mail the other day.  Great release.  Two really good in-depth features of the making of the event series.  One covering the bookends and the other covering the in-between episodes.  It was actually more than I was expecting, so I was pleasantly surprised.  The three commentaries are nice too.

As am I, the current blu is incredibly noisy. Here's hoping the release of this and Inside Llewyn Davis pave the way for more of their films being given the Criterion treatment. Barton Fink and The Ladykillers have yet to receive any blu-ray release.