Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES THE RELEASE OF ALL EIGHT HARRY POTTER FILMS COMING TO ULTRA HD BLU-RAY™ IN 2017

ENTIRE BELOVED FILM FRANCHISE

TO BE AVAILABLE IN 4K RESOLUTION WITH

HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR)

BURBANK, CA, MARCH XX, 2017 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced today that all eight films in the popular and acclaimed Harry Potter series will be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray in 2017.

The last four films in the series will be released on March 28 and will include Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire will be available later in 2017.

The Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Packs will include an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature films in 4K with HDR, a Blu-ray disc with the feature films and special features in HD, and a Digital HD version of the feature films.

Ultra HD Blu-ray showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

For the complete 4K Ultra HD experience with HDR, a 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR, an Ultra HD Blu-ray player and a high-speed HDMI (category 2) cable are required.

All eight Harry Potter films on Ultra HD Blu-ray feature DTS:X audio, which replicates and conveys the fluid movement of sound to create a richer experience than previously possible by moving sound to precisely where the mixer placed it. A hallmark of DTS:X immersive audio technology is its ability to adapt to the speaker layout to best fit the individual viewing space by seamlessly transporting sound to and through specific locations within the viewing environment - in front of, behind, above and beside the audience.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2will be available on March 28 on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack for $44.95 SRP each, and feature an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR, a Blu-ray disc with the feature film and special features in HD, and a Digital HD* version of the feature film. Fans can also own the Harry Potter films in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers.

The Harry Potter films on Ultra HD Blu-ray will contain the same special features that were included on each of the film’s previous Blu-ray releases.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/warner-to-release-all-8-harry-potter-films-to-4k-uhd-in-2017.351117/#post-4453181

I'm only interested in the first 3 films.

Hope the regular Blurays are coming from the 4K scans too and they are not coming from the old releases.

1000631103_BRDLEFO_dae87b17.jpg

1000631104_BRDLEFO_d337f2a.jpg

1000631105_BRDLEFO_d497b8c8.jpg

1000631106_BRDLEFO_e3954311.jpg

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Hope the regular Blurays are coming from the 4K scans too and they are not coming from the old releases.

Agreed.  The video transfers of the earlier movies are pretty rough.  Even the reference-quality at-the-time-of-its-release Prisoner of Askaban looks muddy and indistinct by today's standards.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

1. Why start with the last four films?

2. Will the extended editions of PS and CoS be included?

1. Because maybe the first four films need more restoration work since they are older.

11 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Will these be new 4K scans or just fake upscales?

I really think these will be new 4K scans.

They can't release UHD with upscales for these movies!  There will be public outrage! :P

But as I said before, i hope the regular blurays too are coming from the 4K scans, because I think there might be some examples of releases where the UHD was a new restoration and the regular Bluray in the bundle was an older transfer.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ooh, yes! BARRY LYNDON as a single release, and in 5.1! Yes, I know the sound is not authentic, so let's hope they have the original audio, as well? 

Having John Alcott's finest work for the cinema, in your Blu collection, is like having a rare diamond in your jewellery collection. Priceless.

You can opt for 5.1 but the Blu-ray will have the original sound track. I wonder about the aspect ratio ... Anyway, it's Criterion and they have an 'America First' policy (R1 only).

Arrow's summer sale begins tomorrow. A few things I need to pick up.

As for Criterion's announcements, excited about Barry Lyndon and Vampyr. Fire Walk with Me seems pointless.

20 hours ago, Richard said:

What exactly is this film's aspect ratio? I've always thought it's 1.66.

It's complicated but the current Blu-ray is cropped to fill the TV screen as much as possible. Grrrrr!

• 1 month later...

Anyone else bought any UHD discs? I don't have a player or 4K TV yet, so I'm just buying them now to future proof myself if I do get the gear eventually.

The ones I have are:

Batman v Superman

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters II

Independence Day

Pacific Rim

Unforgiven

I'd like to get Blade Runner, E.T. and CE3K too.

• 5 weeks later...
On September 9, 2017 at 4:03 AM, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Anyone else bought any UHD discs? I don't have a player or 4K TV yet, so I'm just buying them now to future proof myself if I do get the gear eventually.

I'd like to get Blade Runner and CETK eventually as well. Right now, I just have The Fifth Element

On 10-10-2017 at 11:06 AM, Richard said:

NETWORK. Not in subject matter, you understand, but in style: they are all pure cinematic acid.

All about style? Sidney Lumet is turning in his grave.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:57 AM, Stefancos said:

Torrent it first! 

Drax and Justin hated it, intensly. So perhaps its not bad...

You encourage theft.

I often wonder if I'm stealing a show if I watch it on Netflix or cable TV since I'm not paying for the show directly. Instead I'm paying the distributor...

Or if I buy a second hand DVD or blu-ray, the studio doesn't see that money.

38 minutes ago, Woj said:

You're the same idiot too stupid to understand the Serenity movie. The concepts you describe above are too complicated for your undeveloped brain to comprehend. 

Yea... Again, this isn't allowed

On 5/10/2011 at 9:20 PM, Jay said:

01 - Personal attacks will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.