Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Jackie Brown is probably my favorite Tarantino film, so good purchase.

Tim

I agree.

Alex - who is surprised that it isn't out yet in the States because here it's so old.

And today I got Kill Bill Vol.1 for 3.90 Euro. David Lynch's The Elephant Man was on sales too but still a little too much (12.90 Euro). It's been ages since I saw that movie. I'm almost afraid to watch it again. It's not a feel good movie, if you know what I mean.

I like the score, which is quite memorable. I've even got a CD somewhere.

The film I watched a couple of times on TV, but it was always very late at night so I kind of have a dreaming recollection of what it is like.

Karol

Your new avatar turned out really dark, crocs. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my screen. It's a copy of my ol' Blade Runner eye?

These are the dark times we are living in.

The avatar is presented as originally intended. Just to coincide with the 5th anniversary of me joining here (well, almost).

And yeah, it is Vertigo. Again.

EDIT: I made it a tad brighter. For your viewing pleasure.

Karol

I'm hoping the Jurassic Park box set has individual cases on the inside. I don't want the the third one!

Wow, you hate it so much?

Hmm, the youtube clip is too dark.

And there's no way I'm gonna click on the Lady Gaga video. Grrr! Why does the world always need a Madonna?!!

It uses 2:30 minutes of Herrmann's music. Seriously.

And no, it's not a copy of you Blade Runner eye. I just kind of lost the old image earlier today and wanted something that is as close as possible to the previous one. I can't change it to something else entirely, cause I'm not strong enough personality for people to recognize me if I did that. :P

Karol

I'm hoping the Jurassic Park box set has individual cases on the inside. I don't want the the third one!

Wow, you hate it so much?

Yea, realllllllly don't like it.

Hmm, the youtube clip is too dark.

And there's no way I'm gonna click on the Lady Gaga video. Grrr! Why does the world always need a Madonna?!!

LOL

no that would make too much sense.

I know, right? ;)

I've been there before, but the site is so goddamn ugly. www.blu-ray.com is my preferred choice.

I think it's perfectly laid out, I like the other site too but for fast up to date information Digital Bit is superior.

Yea, realllllllly don't like it.

Well, at first I was happy that it brought back Sam Neill and Laura Dern, that it looked like shot on a tropical island again, and had a score that was more like the first one... but then I quickly realized how unimaginative the story was, and how awkward the acting. Plus hyper-intelligent Velociraptors, and the ridiculous end scene, so all in all less than stellar. But I still like to watch it for the dinosaur action. Never understood how JP2 and 3 were the best well-paid screenplay writers/directors could come up with... there was so much opportunity.

I can understand why some people were turned off with The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III. Honestly I myself like all three movies. If I can afford to pick the Blu-Ray set up this year I definitely will. Plus we got excellent scores for all three movies too.

I'm hoping one day La-La Land, or maybe Intrada will be able to release the complete scores for Jurassic Park and The Lost World.

We're so overdue to get both.

And even though JP isn't missing much music, I still want the entire thing, in film order, as separate cues.

Or someone can just leak them. While I'd love to give one of the labels some revenue, I really don't care how we get them.

The Lost World is decent popcorn entertainment with some fine performances by Goldblum, Postlethwaite and company. Loads of neat action sequences (rounding up the dinos, trailer over the cliff, T-Rex and raptor ambushes, dinosaur vs. American city) more of those remarkable visual effects (although Stan Winston's stuff is a bit lacking at times--perhaps blame this on Kaminski?), Williams' brooding and pulse-pounding score. Perhaps Spielberg was a bit rusty. Hell, I think the movie is better than the book. I want it on Blu-ray.

Going to wait for the price to drop.

I actually love The Lost World. But it's because of Goldblum. I could literally watch him read the dictionary. I actually had a professor in Law School that acted almost verbatim like Goldblum's Malcolm. I always wondered if it was on purpose, he talked like him, he had similar glasses and wore all black.

Received my blu-ray of 'Baby: Secret of the lost Legend' today (oh, nostalgia... ). After the dismal DVD that was previously available (looked like direct-from-vhs) I had very low expectations, but I was so pleasantly surprised today: really good picture quality, and, in contrast to what's written on the label (dolby digital 2.0), it actually has a decent (not overwhelming) DTS-HD soundtrack (according to my blu-ray player). So, despite the absence of any extras or additional languages, $5 well invested (it's a Wal Mart exclusive till August).

I actually love The Lost World. But it's because of Goldblum. I could literally watch him read the dictionary. I actually had a professor in Law School that acted almost verbatim like Goldblum's Malcolm. I always wondered if it was on purpose, he talked like him, he had similar glasses and wore all black.

goldblum along with Adrian Brody are two guys that I find facinating to watch. They have wonderful quirks that make them very appealing.

I almost picked up Baby this past weekend. Walmart has quite a few 5 buck blu rays but Baby is the only one I'm interested in.

I almost picked up Baby this past weekend. Walmart has quite a few 5 buck blu rays but Baby is the only one I'm interested in.

I noticed something strange when watching Baby again- it seems that dialog only comes from the left speaker; it sounds rather weird. I guess you really only get what you can expect for $5 :(

I finally received the 3 Ernest movies on blu-ray from Wal-Mart.

(Scared Stupid, Goes to Camp, Goes To Jail)

They are surprisingly great in image quality.

knowhatimean?

Lol awesome. "Scared Stupid" I grew up on, and still love the troll design. I think it gave me nightmares as a kid, and even today am surprised just how great that troll looks.

"Goes To Jail" was honestly his strangest film, but also made it be perhaps the best one. Just a very bizzare story that takes some odd dark turns lol.

Can't wait for "Baby!". I ordered "site to store" since my Wal Mart didn't (and probably won't, knowing them) carry them. Just $15 bucks for all 3 is pretty great.

Ernest Scared Stupid is on Blu?!

Yes. All 3 are available individually, as Wal-Mart online exclusives. Although some say they saw them in store. They are 5 dollars. :up:

They are indeed in stores as that's how I saw them. The 3 Earnest, Baby, and a slew more, none of great interest to me, even at 5 bucks.

Yes. All 3 are available individually, as Wal-Mart online exclusives. Although some say they saw them in store. They are 5 dollars. :up:

Damn those exclusives. That's why Amazon only has Jail and Camp on Blu. A double feature for $6.99 :up:

Damn those exclusives. That's why Amazon only has Jail and Camp on Blu. A double feature for $6.99 :up:

yes, but both on ONE Blu-Ray 25 GB disc. Probably looks worse than the individual releases.

Ah, but it is not a dual layered 50, as I said! I think you'd be surprised with how good they actually look, I was even more surprised at how clean the prints were. I thought they would be dirty and speckly all to shit.

None of us have compared the double feature to the single releases, so maybe we should just stop :lol:

But I'll say this, if a 3 hour movie can look superb on a single Blu disc, why can't two low-budget comedies?

Haha. I really don't know if it would make a LARGE difference. I only mentioned it because I was reading about the LOTR extended editions, and the decision was made to spread them onto two discs because the image quality suffered.

Anyone pick up Hobo With A Shotgun?

Haha. I really don't know if it would make a LARGE difference. I only mentioned it because I was reading about the LOTR extended editions, and the decision was made to spread them onto two discs because the image quality suffered.

That's because there's a shit ton of special features and commentaries ;)

That's because there's a shit ton of special features and commentaries ;)

Most of the special features are on separate discs, and the commentary tracks are just talk, which is easy to compress and won't take up much space. But still, such long movies in HD can easily fill a lot of space. And I'd rather have two discs just to be on the safe side.

In October there will be 2 new editions of the documentary PLANET EARTH, the original BBC version. It will have new bonus features, a LE set version in a world globe, and... a MUSIC ONLY viewing option!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6834

Also, I guess this already came out in the UK? A poster said "I have done a quick comparison with some of the problems scenes from the previous release and the banding issues are look to be gone . The descriptions on the back mentions "all the episodes re-encoded to a standard not previously available"."

Too bad the music isn't in 5.1, but that's alright. Was there much music not on the CD?

Yeah I hope they put up prices soon. Surprised they aren't up for preorder yet since Jurassic Park already is and that comes out October 25, a few weeks after.