Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I bought 20 million miles to Earth the other day. Fantastic 50's Ray Harryhuasen.

I haven't bought a Blu-ray in a while. Will be getting E.T., Jaws and Schindler this year. Scratch those off the wish list. Probably some others like The Birds as well. This had to be coming from Universal. I mean, their classic films and theme parks are almost their only remaining lucrarive assets.

So recently I bought:

Das Weisse Band

The Silence Of The Lambs

Hobo With A Shotgun (which I regret)

The Tree Of Life

The Expendables (luckily it was cheap)

Alex

I don't have it on DVD but the Blu-ray doesn't look particularly splendid. Lambs isn't a particularly good looking film either. It's not Seven, if you know what I mean. It could be the master, everything looks a bit zoomed in.

Alex

Just watched Home Alone on BD finally. Sounds very sexy, and picture looks much improved but not anything that blew me away or anything...

A video of universal " Restoring the classics" in anticipation of the upcoming Blurays!

Some of the tinkering they do in this video scares the crap out of me. Not everything is a blemish that needs to be "fixed".

I'm not too fussed about that they did to To Kill a Mockingbird, I would have left that artificial dolly/zoom-in as is. What I found impressive was getting rid of the flicker on All Quiet on the Western Front, I'd like to see how that turns out.

What's with the stabilisation? I apply that to my personal videos, but film is a different medium and I find jerky shots add more to the character. Also, it's like going back and deciding to shoot the scene with a steadicam rather than a dolly, and that's venturing into creative territory that they should be leaving alone. I don't agree with that.

I'm not sure about the flicker reduction either - there's something that an imperfect presentation gives an old film.

Don't agree with the artificial zoom fixing either. I don't like fiddling with an image to that degree.

Colour correction is okay I guess, as long as they really are doing nothing more than than restoring it to pre-deterioration levels.

Definitely supportive of removing tears or physical problems in the negative. Those would take away from the experience and obviously aren't an intention of the filmmakers.

I don't think that shaking was due to the dolly, I think it was more a camera issue. This is something that bugs me (you can easily pick it up in older flicks' opening titles) so I'm glad they're looking at this. Same with the flicker, I want to see the film as it was intended to be exhibited.

This set looks fantastic, but it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to those of us who have already bought the available Bond movies on Blu Ray!

http://www.amazon.com/Bond-50-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B006U1J5ZY/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1327284522&sr=1-1

Anyone have The Wizard of Oz on BD? If yes, what do you think of the transfer? I just purchased it but haven't had time to watch.

Anyone have The Wizard of Oz on BD? If yes, what do you think of the transfer? I just purchased it but haven't had time to watch.

it's good but remember it's not widescreen.

I bought 20 Million Miles to Earth and King Kong on blu, they look really good but they still look very old.

Signs, Flatliners and Clash of the Titans(82) all look terrific.

it's good but remember it's not widescreen.

Oh right, wasn't it filmed in 1.37:1 or something like that?

It came out in '39. Nothing from that era was in widescreen as television wasn't a threat yet.

Another John Williams scored film comes to Bluray!!

The Poseidon Adventure

(studio preliminary release date: April 4th)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8077\

Hmmm, now that I'm thinking about it, it would be great if they could release a Far and Away 20th anniversary Bluray too!!

• 2 weeks later...