Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

What is your beef with it?

The temporal impossibility of it all? (I can imagine Stephan Hawking watching this film, trying to do a facepalm)

Ah'nuld not killing anyone because it clashes with the kiddie-friendly image he was trying to build?

Ah'nuld not killing anyone because it clashes with the kiddie-friendly image he was trying to build?

It always seemed too much like the stereotypical Ah'nuld-macho-dumb-action-hero flick to me. The second time I watched it, my impression was still the same, so I've given up on it.

Why is the first one so much smarter? I thought it was brilliant to have a seemingly normal everyday guy (Robert Patrick) to have the upperhand on the previous horror (Schwarzenegger when he was still unknown). One of the reasons why T1 doesn't do it any longer for me is of the high cute factor of cuddly bear Arnold Swarzenegger.

Somehow Robert Patrick in police uniform and running after the motorbike is like an ultimate nightmare. Or what about when he probes his liquid metal 'arms' through the elevator cabine. Classic scenes in action movie history, my friend.

Alex

I view them as companion pieces. Cameron's direction is strong in both, but the performance he gets out of Hamilton in both, especially the second is terrific, and Hamilton and her twin sister both look hot in T2.

we picked up the Star Trek the Next Generation Blu Ray this past weekend.

We watched all 4 episodes, Encounter at Farpoint 1 and 2, Sins of the Father, and Inner Light.

the transfer to HD is amazing. Neither David or I had seen Farpoint in years, decades perhaps, and it's still a wonder that a great show came from that episode, but it did look the part with the transfer. The other two episodes are pure greatness.

Inner Light is perhaps one of the top 100 episodes in television history.

I hope to receive that Blu-ray next week. Farpoint is far from a great episode, but I have good memories from it.

The Inner Light will make me cry again as it always has. That momemt when Picard clutches the Resikan flute to his chest, the only tangible memory of a live he never really lived. Stunning.

it was Niagra falls while we watched. When he goes it's meeee. I'm getting verklempt.

talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic, Rhode Island is neither a road, or an island, discuss

the transfer to HD is amazing. Neither David or I had seen Farpoint in years, decades perhaps, and it's still a wonder that a great show came from that episode, but it did look the part with the transfer. The other two episodes are pure greatness.

Farpoint is shit. Knowing the series as a whole, it's nearly unbeliabably bad. The entire first season is horrid, and most of the second one is still crap. But Farpoint may be the worst of all TNG eps, beating even Dr. Crusher's supposedly erotic ghost adventure. Even the acting sucks, by all involved.

Farpoint is shit. Knowing the series as a whole, it's nearly unbeliabably bad. The entire first season is horrid, and most of the second one is still crap. But Farpoint may be the worst of all TNG eps, beating even Dr. Crusher's supposedly erotic ghost adventure. Even the acting sucks, by all involved.

you're too hard on it. I think it's not good, but somehow All Good Things helps elevate it abit.

you're too hard on it. I think it's not good, but somehow All Good Things helps elevate it abit.

It fits in nicely in AGT, but on its own, the original ep truly shocks me. I've watched by complete TNG DVD set twice, and both times I nearly gave up hope that the series could improve at least enough to be worth watching. It does, of course, but during S1, I find it really hard to believe.

The first great (there were some good ones before that, mind you) ep I think was Yesterday's Enterprise. And Ron Moore's first writing credit also marks a point where the overall quality picked up a lot.

DS9 remains my favourite though. Starts out pretty bad, too, but S1 is at least on the level of TNG's S2, and after that, it quickly gets better. Starting with S4, I think it quickly goes beyond TNG. Of course, Roddenberry would probably have seen it quite differently.

Ah. No mention of that in the 3D article as far as I could see, and I couldn't find a link to the 2D version.

4.5 should be pretty great, but it's a little disappointing that a digital movie doesn't get a top score for visuals.

It fits in nicely in AGT, but on its own, the original ep truly shocks me. I've watched by complete TNG DVD set twice, and both times I nearly gave up hope that the series could improve at least enough to be worth watching. It does, of course, but during S1, I find it really hard to believe.

The first great (there were some good ones before that, mind you) ep I think was Yesterday's Enterprise. And Ron Moore's first writing credit also marks a point where the overall quality picked up a lot.

DS9 remains my favourite though. Starts out pretty bad, too, but S1 is at least on the level of TNG's S2, and after that, it quickly gets better. Starting with S4, I think it quickly goes beyond TNG. Of course, Roddenberry would probably have seen it quite differently.

you're incorrect, Measure of a Man was a great episode.

A really good one at least. As far as I remember, the writing was still a bit clumsy. It's certainly a relevant episode, but I wouldn't count it among the great ones. It's not one I'd single out for individual rewatching.

There are a lot of good episodes for The Next Generation and a lot of bad ones too. Hell every series for Star Trek had the same situation. I know not many liked Star Trek Voyager but I for one did.

Deep Space Nine will also always be my favorite. The episode "The Jem'Hadar" was really what picked up the show then the whole war with the Dominion.

I could never get into Star Trek Enterprise when it first aired. A couple of years ago though I gave it another whirl and decided to watch all the episodes. It started off slow like most of the Trek series did the first season or so. Half way through the second season is when it picked up. I really loved the Xindi story arc and how it rounded it out. All though all the time travel bits became a bit annoying after a while.

Either way the best series definitely was Deep Space Nine. "There will never be another one like her" - Ben Sisko.

I'm catching re-runs of Enterprise now. It's not bad, but the show has some problems.

I like Archer, I like the Doctor, but most of the other characters don't do a lot for me. The special effects, surprisingly aren't that great. Even the Enterprise looks like a CGI effect.

And finally, it all feels a bit well trodden. Been there, done that, both story wise and style wise. (TV shows were really taking a stride forward in the way they were shot and edited in the early 200's. Suddenly Enterprise looked a bit old-fashioned)

Damn it, I was a stupid eBay person: I bought a brand new copy of Mad Men season 3, saved six pound on the cheapest alternative at Amazon, but I bought it without checking the details. It's the Dutch version! I just assumed that because it was a British based seller it'd be the English version. Stupid boy! Anyway, thankfully it works in my player - and the audio is obviously still in my native tongue. But the text on the box is in Dutch, so it'll never look quite right in my set. Idiot!

Why would I buy a TV show when I can watch one for free?

Anyway, I have no interest in Mad Men.

there is no reason for anyone too. If they put the show in pill form it will be the great sleep aid ever.

I'm catching re-runs of Enterprise now. It's not bad, but the show has some problems.

I like Archer, I like the Doctor, but most of the other characters don't do a lot for me. The special effects, surprisingly aren't that great. Even the Enterprise looks like a CGI effect.

And finally, it all feels a bit well trodden. Been there, done that, both story wise and style wise. (TV shows were really taking a stride forward in the way they were shot and edited in the early 200's. Suddenly Enterprise looked a bit old-fashioned)

That's because the NX-01 was an actual CG ship, there was never a physical model like there was from the other TV series.